The Bluespot Club

lcstorc

Wow, that took forever.
Sunshine has been with me since March of 08. I'm pretty sure moonshine has been with me well over a year but I don't feel like finding it out.
:)

sikpupy

i noticed that my blue spot jawfish had some white patches of skin yesterday. i noticed a change in behavior because whenever i feed, he's usually the first one out looking for food.

right now, he is out of his burrow. i can see white patches of skin and he is breathing rapidly. he also has a small lesion and tail is pretty ragged.

Here is a pic:
bsj.jpg

what should i do?

If thats everyones idea of white patches and thats what BS get, i will tell you right now he dug until a rock crushed him, thats what that is.

tpme06

I just got my blue spotted jawfish 2 days ago, after months of researching and wanting one. He had been in the store for ~15 days, so I thought he was past the initial shock of transportation. He ate in the store, and coloration looked great. It has been 48 hours since he has been in my tank, and he ate both today and yesterday. My water paramaters are excellent. However, his skin looks to have some white blemishes on it... and I am wondering what may have caused it... or if it is just loss of some color due to stress of the new acclimation. If anyone can help it is much appreciated! I have been feeding him Rod's frozen food, and ordered Seachem Vitality overnight so that I can use that tomorrow on the food. Below are pics:
IMG_1238-1.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

tkucifer

Do you have sand or crushed coral? That's how my Spot looked and several people suggested it might be trauma from digging in our sand/CC mixed substrate. I'm sorry to say he didn't make it, likely from the compounded trauma of living in a hastily established HT, not eating and then moving to a bigger sand-bottomed tank with less than ideal water parameters. I hope yours recovers quickly. Good luck!!!

sikpupy

I cant belive that is from just sand digging but anything is possible.

I am wondering if they are digging and getting partialy crushed, squirm through the sand, get out, and thats the after effects? Has anyones fish recovered from white spot? Useually when a fish get crushed no matter how small, it dies, dont ask me how I know so well. :lookaroun

tdtnc1986

Hello all I hope to join the BSJF tomorrow as my fiance is bringing a one of these fantastic fish with her for our fledgling reef tank

sikpupy

that will be cool! An almost welcome to the club to you.

Update: All rocks off the sand floor, he digs like a fool and just as colorful as could be.

Man does he dig some sand though! :surrender:

lcstorc

Be sure to give them rubble to build with. Mine are still live and happy though they now have more competition in the tank which has made them come out more.

sikpupy

He is just a fish, just like all the rest. just make sure he/she has a good, safe and most important clean stable place for him. I would suggest since he is an expensive fish to have him in a 10g QT tank with some sand and water from the main tank. Acclimate the fish properly, put him in the QT tank and keep an eye on him for a week. :lurk: try t give him a rock, put on the bottom first, then sand, he can dig under and hide. Once he is eating good and you feel he is ready to go to the big house, match temps and let him go.

tdtnc1986

My bsjf arrived last night I don't have a tank for qt unfortunately so he is now in our reef. My finace and I noticed something strange though and I was wondering if there is any precedence for this at the store that we bought him from his head was green now that we have him in our tank he has become the shade of orange that I have seen in the pictures. So just curious if this is common or if he was quite literally green behind the gills.

sikpupy

Cant quite understand how so many people can afford a REEF tank and not afford $20 for an air pump and 10g QT tank, especially for one $70 fish?? Oh well, not judging, just not logical, so, anyways, yea, he is just probably all whacked out about the move. I cant say for certain about the color orange, but, all fish change a shade or two colors when they are freaked out. Guess you will have t keep an eye on him and hope for the best.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
tdtnc1986

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

congrats on your new bsjf - beautiful fish !

bluespotjawfish

The Misses just thought she would check in with everyone here! Glad this thread has continued to bring bluespot peeps all together!

:tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble: :tumble:
The Misses is still in Texas livin' the dream. She's an old lady now, about 2-1/2 years old. She just hangs around waiting for her next meal. She is very content and hasn't moved her den since she was reintroduced to the tank last December after the ick outbreak that we lost BJ to.

lauriepacific

Hi BSJ fans,
I just posted my first episode of "Reef Tank Gardens" on YouTube. Here's the summary and link for this video:

The Blue-Spotted Jawfish is a "special needs" fish in the marine aquarium. This video introduces this delightful, curious, and personable little fish and explains what it takes to keep the Blue-Spotted Jawfish healthy, happy, and content in a salt water tank.

Here's the video link: YouTube - Blue-Spotted Jawfish.mov

I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me so I can improve on future videos. Thanks!

-Laurie