The Bluespot Club

Hamp

Well, I am the proud owner of a BSJF as of 2 weeks ago. Barely. After transferring coral and liverock into a new biocube29 I bought a jawfish after a week or so of the transfer. I found a great deal and couldn't resist. However I had to move some stuff around in there the first day or 2 after his arrival. Bad idea, dude didnt like that at all. He ate like a pig for the first week, and was out and being really social....but then something happened last week. He started looking drunk, with crossed eyes, missing his food. Looking real bad, then hid for a few days. Well after a day or so, I hooked up a chiller and brought the temp down to 76 from about 80, and also did a water change because my nitrates were around 20ppm. Well a couple days after this all began, he came out reluctantly and ate; then went back to his hole. Then the next day he was out in the morning and acting like nothing ever happened. Had all his color back and attitude as well. Well I am happy as can be with him. I hope that this stress doesn't lead to something else down the road, but his color is good and no white spots, and appetite is as good as ever. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. I love him already. What a great fish.

npollard

Hi, I'm new to the club, we just got our BSJ 3 days ago. After we put him in the tank he moved around until that evening when he dug a hole under a rock. He hasn't used any of the rubble we provided and I haven't seen him come out of the hole since he went in. Today when I fed the other fishes, I put a squirt of brine/mysis into his hole and I saw him move so I know he is alive but is there anything else I can do? How long do the typically hide? Thanks!

goldenrevo

Hi all,
I am trying to decide between a BS and a pearly jawfish.

I am on the fence...one of my semi local stores...3 hours away from me has one and I am seriously thinking of getting him.

The problem is...the more I read this thread the more the mortality rate of this fish scares me. Locally these fish are extremely expensive and to lose one very quickly would totally suck.

I am running a 33 gallon with a pair of Picasso's only at the moment. I was thinking of adding a Helfrichi and this jawfish and thats it. (maybe a fairy wrasse later on)

Are BS that much more frail than the pearly's?

My tank parameters as of today are:

temp 80
sal 1.025
ph 8.4
alk 9
calc 440
amon 0.1
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
Phos 0.1

First...go for the bluespot? or go for the pearly?

What order would you add the fish to the tank? BS, Firefish, Wrasse?

Lastly, anyone have a pics of lids that have HOB skimmers etc?

UnknownFish

UnknownFish
[/URL][/IMG]

npollard

We have had our BSJ for about a month and he seems to be doing great except he doesn''t use the rubble we provided to make a tunnel. He just digs under our rocks and has a passage way under them. In the picture you can kind of see what I mean. Do you think he will be happy without a tunnel? I made a PVC home and took it out after he didn't use it... I just want to be sure he will be ok. :)
BSJ001-1.jpg

Basser1

Hey Gang!! Been a while since I posted. Hope everyones' BSJF are doing fine. Dugger is still doing what BSJF do..... digging!

I got this e-mail from BlueZoo Aquatics recently and they had a fish listed I have not seen before, a BlueSpot Sanddiver. Very nice looking fish. If you're wanting a tank of fish with blue spots. I wonder if these would be compatible? Here's a couple of pics and a link:

bluespotsandiver1.jpg

bluespotsandiver2.jpg

Blue Spot Sanddiver - Trichonotus setiger

lcstorc

Good question.
Ssunshine and Moonshine are here with me.
I do have a question though.
Sunshine changed his colors to the "flashing" colors a long time ago. Does anyone know if he will ever change back.
I have seen very little indication of mating but he is still the half white/half dark blue with the yellow head.

Basser1

Hey!! A human bean!! IDK the answer for you, but you might want to shoot lorraine a pm. She had some breeding jawfish and should be able to help!

Basser1

O.K. ......... Drumroll Please.......

Heerrreess........ DUGGER!!

001pwufso.jpg

As some of you know, I lost my BSJF (Digger), last week due to my negligence. Digger had been with me for over a year and a half and provided me and my family with a lot of enjoyment. I knew I had to get another one right away. So last week, my LFS called and said he had some coming in. I went in on Sunday and picked him up. I didn't realize just how big Digger was, until I saw the dealers' BSJF! Dugger is quite a bit smaller and will have some growing to do!

So far, he seems to be adjusting to his new surroundings really well. Digger had at least 3 burrows and all of them was connected by tunnels that he made. The new BSJF seems to have adopted Diggers' burrows. As a matter of fact, he's peeking out of one of Diggers burrows! He's eating very well, frozen mysis and NLS pellets. And I have decided to name him Dugger, in memory of Digger.

As he gets used to his new surroundings more, I hope to get better pics. Glad to be back in the club!

:bday1: Well, just wanted to let everyone know that Dugger has been with me for a year! There have been some real trying times with him, (like the time I woke up early one morning and found him on lying on the carpet)! But otherwise... he's been a great addition to the tank and he does "rule" it!

BTW, Where is everyone?? :dunno:

bluespotjawfish

Hi'a all! Welcome newbees! Glad Basser is still keeping watch over you all!

The Misses is still here, but we don't check in often. She is over 2 years old now and moved with us to Texas last year. Hard to believe we have been here a year already. She was on exhibit last week as part of our local reef tour. I think she had fun. She just sits in her hole though since we lost BJ to ick when we introduced new fish after the move. The Misses survived the outbreak and hyposalinity treatment for it. I thought about introducing a new male, but she seems very content and I don't want to stress her out.

Lynn, BJ would flash a lot, but also would turn back to normal colors too. Maybe your's is on steriods!

Basser, I'm usually hanging out on FB these days. Stop in for a visit!

SeaMunky

Hey my friends...wow..I am so delighted to read about all the bluespots still doing well...Its been over a year since I joined this club to learn as much as I could before I purchased one..Until this week I was unable to get one here in Ontario, Canada as many remember..but I am so excited to report that my lfs is bringing in a few on monday for me to pick from..omg I am so excited...I would love a recap from my friends here, on what to look for again on him before I make the purchase...I am also sorry to hear of the losses..I was here from the purchase date for alot of them, and watching grow was awesome..hopefully you will purchase another one soon, so we can watch each others behavior and photos...
Talk soon my friends..its great to be back finally...

tkucifer

Hi everyone! I just discovered this thread and am hesitantly glad to call myself a full fledged member! We have had a BSJ for a little over a month, but he's been under the weather we think so I've been working with him extensively to nurse him back to health, with mixed results.
I moved him from a 34 gal DT to a HT when we noticed a dusty patchy coating--Brook? Crypto? (wrong look though) Oodinium? We treated with copper but he only got worse-stressed, losing weight, etc. If it were Brook he'd be gone by now I think. It was clear he would die very soon in HT environment. Someone suggested it might be the CC/sand mix substrate so I gave up on medication moved him to our "adopted/rescued" tank which is all sand but not really ready for prime time (nitrates and phos very high).
So far so good; it's three days later and he's eating and coming out occasionally. Wish us luck!! We need it!! :lookaroun

Attachments

• DSC_0048.jpg
    DSC_0048.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 45

tkucifer

Never mind. I'm just an honorary member again. :waa:
I found our Spot this morning pretty macerated. When the parameters in the upstairs tank (the one with the sand bed) are where I need them to be I'm sure we'll try again. I loved that little guy!!!

lcstorc

So sorry to hear of your loss.
It sounds like yours got hit with the dreaded white spot disease that used to be common but I haven't see in a while. Unfortunately I have never hear of a cure and few make it through.
As far as advice for the new purchaser, Lorraine is correct. Make sure it is eating and make sure your tank is COMPLETELY covered. You would be absolutely shocked at how small of an area they can jump out of. I can speak from experience and tell you that egg crate is not enough. Most os us use pond netting stretched across a frame for a screen window.
I am also happy to report that Sunshine and Moonshine are still with me and as far as I can tell, doing great. Sunshine is still flashing so I have no idea what is going on there but he is fat and happy, so I don't worry too much about it.