Sully's RSM Reefer 350

mtsully71

Back from a week of vacation, house sitter did nice job with tank, few corals knocked over/off, think the sea urchin is my culprit, no biggie. BUT, I must say from not viewing them for a week, I could easily tell the new growth on a majority of them. Water test will tell tonight. Will likely move all my dumplings to there perches this weekend. Have a great week

Sully

mtsully71

So, interesting minor tank discovery this weekend. In the process of testing my water nitrates I do a double take " thats not right" showing 25-30 PPM. Try it again, sure as heck same reading. Test Ammonia, nothing. Very strange I say, mind you I have been busy and it will have been only 2 weeks since I changed my water, but dang. Like an good reefer I changed 12 gallons and will change another 12 Wednesday.

Just some thoughts on Red Sea and Salifert Test Kits:

So a while back I was having issues with low ALK, should not have been low, I bought a salifert kit just to double check.

The difference I was getting between the two test was aprroximately 1.1-1.3 DKH.

Got some standard solution to test both kits. What I will tell you, is Salifert tested much closer to the standard within +-.2 and the red sea barely hit the ball park. Recieved same results when testing my water, just saying ;)

Honestly, the Salifert color change is much more distinct and immediate than the Red Sea. While Red Sea has some nice gizmo to do the test with. I think I will stick to Salifert :D

mtsully71

Just rambling to whom ever will listen. Tank is doing great, my smaller monti's are snapping back slowly after I tried force tanning them. Really like my green one and it got hit the worst, about 3/4 inch new growth though. My other sticks are looking good, of the ones that are about 6 months old I can see they are getting some girth and starting to show nice growth. Back my lights off to 60% at the highest.

Killed me some vermetid snails, bigger ones got the pliers shell crush, little ones got the boiled water in the chute treatment:poof:

Have good weekend

Squatch XXL

You are doing what I plan to do in my future. I got the craps of individual corals, and q-tanking one piece at a time.....The next time I get coral, I am ordering about 30+ frags. Everything looks great from the photos I've seen. Keep up the good work, and Im sorry that I don't live near for frag trades.

mtsully71

Hey Sully,

Any idea what that white wooded rectangular contraption is used for that came with the stand?
I think your talking that 12 X12 shelf looking thing? Agree with John, likely packing stuff. Maybe a photo of what your talking about?

mtsully71

Holiday Greetings reefer folk

No new tank shots yet, but I will likely after the new year........... yep I am lazy and been busy. Remodeling my living room now, I must remind myself periodically how much I don't like painting, especially a 450 sq ft room with 12 foot ceilings, two colors no less :pityparty:

Anyway, my wee little frag corals other than my scoly, are really showing nice growth. Bases are starting to encrust and some are starting to branch out. So I am pleased on the coral progress. I backed my lights down which I think improved the color some.
Headed out to West Yellowstone Thursday for a five day Christmas and snowmobiling :snow:. Little cobber is dying to get out and ride her new sled :nyanya:. Chip off the ole block that one, no fear in that girl. Loves to climb, drift and high mark with the ole man. Her mother on the other hand :nono: :bounce: I check the path make sure I can navigate it, come back for the sappling. Can't keep her off of it. We've crashed a few times, but I just grab the kid and push away from the sled :eeknew:.

Lots of this

wys.jpg

not this

01-snowmobile-27-JPG.jpg :fingerscrossed:

So have an awesome Holiday and we'll see ya folks next year :thumber2:

Sully

NickF

Sounds great, have a good one :thumber2:
I've watched a few documentaries on Yellowstone and it looks beautiful, unfortunately that's probably the nearest I'll get to going.

mtsully71

Sounds great, have a good one :thumber2:
I've watched a few documentaries on Yellowstone and it looks beautiful, unfortunately that's probably the nearest I'll get to going.

For your general reading entertainment/interest Nick if you want. We ride outside the Park. Years ago they changed the rules for winter. Now, you can only take guided tours through the park and it has to be a 4-stroke sled. We ride all the red trails and the green trail on the center left map. That's just the marked/groomed trails. Lotta back country riding we do off the trails. Have a nice Christmas.

http://www.yellowstonebigsky.com/trailsandmaps/

http://www.yellowstonebigsky.com/trailsandmaps/trailsoutside.htm

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Another one to add to my bucket list ! Cheers for sharing ! A couple years back we flew into Denver ^ rented snowmobiles & rode up to the continental divide - that was fun, have never been to Yellowstone but have always wanted too, snowmobile tour looks like a lot of fun. May go next month :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would love to go to Yellowstone!! So much, there's a lot of places in the US I'd love to visit! I'll come over one day and throw a big reefing BBQ to meet everyone haha

Hope the holidays are treating you well mate :) Sounds like you're having plenty of fun!

mtsully71

Well I didn't end up in the hospital :D. But I did crash twice! To my defence I was showing the kids of the family that came with us how to ride and we tipped over ;)

brenna creek 1111.jpg

Yes I am in a gang :rolleyes2:
family11111.jpg

Cobber on her snowmobile, we bought a 2-up last year as she is getting to big to just ride in front
brenna.JPG

She likes her mom's sled
brenna amy 1111.jpg

took the sappling into a little powder to work on her skills
b and s 111111.jpg

Awesome long weekend, taught little cobber how to snorkel in the pool as well:scuba:We are going to be doing some in the Caribbean this Spring. Took to it like a pro :fishbowl: , I was quite stunned.

:threadjack: Tank needs some lovin, so WC tonight and testing. Houses sitter does good job. Scoly has bought the farm. Everything looks peachy.

Have great week reefers

Sully

Last edited: