Steve's LEDs

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wiring running out the through the back of the tank and down into the cabinet to connect to the power supply and Typhoon controller:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have the Typhoon connected and programmed. Once It turns on, I'll take a pic so you can see a before with the T5s and after with the LEDs.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The LED shot seems pretty representative of the colors I am currently seeing. The T-5 shot was from few days ago, so I don't know how accurate it is. I set the White balance of the LED shot and then applied the same setting to the T-5 shot.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well here is the big question, would you do it again?

Good question and my initial response is "it's too early to tell". My main reasons for upgrading were:

1. Not having to buy 6 T-5 bulbs every 9-12 months at a cost of ~$125.00
2. Less power consumption and heat generation.
3. Increased light intensity for better coral growth.

So #1 is valid as I don't have to buy bulbs any more. #2 is good as it definitely runs cooler, there is literally no heat coming off the LEDs.

#3 is the unknown right now. Yes, they will provide 50% more light but how will the corals react over time? We'll have to wait and see on that one.

One thing I love is the Typhoon controller. Very easy to program and I love having a sunrise and sunset as opposed to the T-5 just turning on.

Time will tell but I as of right now, I'm pretty happy with them!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^ Great review & pic Greg !

be sure to start them off at not to high % - look forward to seeing how the corals respond & Cheers for being fo good at DIY - well done !

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Glenn. Running them at 50% power right now, will bump up the power 10% each week and see how things go.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Here's everything that got removed from the hood. I'll hang on to the ballasts and if anyone ever needs one, I can ship it to them.

magicmann

Greg

Thanks for the review you are brave, I would be worried that it would not work when I swithched it on. I had to go under the hood to fix the timer and the wiring looks a nightmare.
I am very interested in how the corals react to your new lights.

Paul

Seababies

Greg, did you incorporate the timer and moonlight into the new retrofit? Where is the power supply mounted? Thanks for sharing. Steve should thank-you for the detail pictures!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Greg, did you incorporate the timer and moonlight into the new retrofit? Where is the power supply mounted? Thanks for sharing. Steve should thank-you for the detail pictures!

Yes, I did incorporate the timer and moonlight into it. Though i don't think I needed to since I went with the Typhoon Controller.

The Power supply - interesting question. I ended up running all the wires out the back as you can see in one of the pics. Then I put the power supply in the right side cabinet on the top of the shelf. The Power Supply is much larger than I expected. Here is a pic of it in the box on the table, it takes up every bit of space inside that box.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
GREAT work Greg. Thank you for taking the time and effort to document it so well.

Be sure to take weekly snapshots (from same distance/location/angle) so you can see how well the coral are adapting to the new lights.