Steve's LEDs

Seababies

I see, Ill have to think about it now because there are other options too within the price range like retrofitting AI units. The advantage of latter option is that if one decides to upgrade their tank, AI units will still retain their value while Steve's might not. I might be wrong here though because I am not much aware of resale on kit LEDs

If you go that route, you may have to cut ventilation openings on the canopy. When AI units are removed, you may have to patch those cut-offs. But, the resale value is great. If Steve's LEDs is in placed, we will have to sell the canopy (swap out) with another RSM250 owner with the same matching color unit!

Seababies

I ordered the pre-built kit and paid the extra $120 and highly recommend going that route. You still have to do a little wiring so if you have little to no knowledge of wiring/soldering you truly need to spend the extra $120. My order of the LED kit, Pre-built, with the Typhoon controller, and prewired to use the existing timer and moonlights came out to $610.91.

If I decided to go this route using Steve's LEDs, I would probably pick the same option as you. I think it will save a lot of time and a migraine! Good choice!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
not sure, but I have been soldering for 27 years, so wont be a problem,

Good deal. I went with the Steve's 95% built kit so I wouldn't have to do too much work. Looking forward to seeing the build!

thedru13

Hey goma... How do you have your typhoon set? What are your channels set to as far as lighting percent wise? Also how do you have your fade set? How long do you have it set for?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How do you have your typhoon set? Lights start coming on at 1200

What are your channels set to as far as lighting percent wise?I am ramping up slowly. For the first week I had all channels at 50%, yesterday I upped that to 60%, then I plan on increasing 5% per week until I am happy with them. I may end up dimming the Neutral whites a little bit down the road to get more of a blue look but I will wait until I get the power up where I like it.

Also how do you have your fade set? I have the fade set for 1 hour

How long do you have it set for? As stated earlier, they start coming on at 1200 and then they start shutting down at 9:30 PM and fade out for 1 hour

Let me know if you need anything else.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Greg..... I am waiting for my typhoon to come in. Did you make a box for it yet? Hope it works better than what I have. It has a mind of its own and is driving me insane. I am like a lunatic checking it every few mins.

I have not made a box for it yet. Have you?

thedru13

Awesome thanks sorry forgot you did post that. I have my whites set really low at 25% but I think its cause of my dimmers so they are still pretty bright. I have my time set for the same.

Also I may take a crack at making a box. I did find a thread of someone selling them but he has not responded to anyone in a while. I hate just having it out in the open.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome thanks sorry forgot you did post that. I have my whites set really low at 25% but I think its cause of my dimmers so they are still pretty bright. I have my time set for the same.

Also I may take a crack at making a box. I did find a thread of someone selling them but he has not responded to anyone in a while. I hate just having it out in the open.

I might go by Radio Shack and see what they have for hobby boxes and see if I can find one that is appropriate. I also hate just having it sit there on the tray not covered.

roodog

Hi, i've been following this with interest as i'm thinking about getting one shipped to the UK. Do you think the power supply etc would work in the UK?. TIA

Lipman

I'm sure u can use an adapter,should be fine. I would put it on a surge protector though because ur 220 and the lights are 120

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
roodog

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

roodog

I emailed Jeff who confirmed the kit will work fine in the UK. So I've ordered! Being kind of an idiot at all things electrical/wiring/soldering (although I'm not expecting much with the 95%) it should be interested to see how I get on. Thanks for the thread and helping me decide, I've been pondering them for a while.