Steve's LEDs

Seababies

Among other vendors, I am also considering Steve's LEDs on my RSM250. Greg, are you getting these LEDs:

28 - Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs - Royal Blue
28 - Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs - Neutral White

HOw do you like the retrofit kit with 90% built? Do you like the color intensity, etc? Looking forward to more great pics from you!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Among other vendors, I am also considering Steve's LEDs on my RSM250. Greg, are you getting these LEDs:

28 - Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs - Royal Blue
28 - Luxeon ES 3 Watt LEDs - Neutral White

HOw do you like the retrofit kit with 90% built? Do you like the color intensity, etc? Looking forward to more great pics from you!

Yes that is the light combination I got. Just started the install, I'll let you know how easy it is and now it looks.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ok they are installed. Let me say this to start, the instructions leave a lot to the imagination! Not overly difficult if you use some common sense but they definitely don't take you by the hand and walk you precisely through the build. They really need to add some more pictures to their instructions.

I have to take the hood apart because of the location I installed 2 of the dimmer switches ended up being covered by the hood. I'll take some more pics when I do that.

All in all it took about 3 hours to do the install.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sad to hear about the sloppy directions! Excited to hear your review though. Did you get the typhoon controller?

I did, but they did not include directions for installing it. I sent them an email but have not heard back.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Quick update. The install took about 3 hours as I stated earlier. It would have been a lot easier with more pictures in the instructions. This has nothing to do with Steve's LEDs but it's a bit scary gutting the hood!! Once you start that process you'll quickly realize there is no going back!

They need to be clearer about the location for installing the dimmer switches. The instructions state "Now is a good time to find a suitable place to mount the dimmer knobs if this is where you would like them mounted. Drill ¼” holes into the plastic, and mount the knobs,..." So I mounted them next to the timer. However when I put the hood back together, two of them ended up being covered by the hood. So now I have to take it back apart to redrill and move two of the dimmer switches.

Step 16 states "On the main power supply, white = “N,” black = “L,” and green = “ .”" The only problem is the wire they supplied has three wires, one is Green (as it should), one is red and one is blue. It took a few minutes to make sure the red and blue were connected to the right terminals.

All in all I am pretty happy with the setup. I won't have an opportunity to rework the hood until tomorrow, but when I do I'll take some more pics and also show a couple of the tank before and after the LED install.

One thing I really like is the ability to control each of the two Royal Blue LED sets independently and control each of the Neutral White LED sets independently.

More to come.

slfcaptain

Its nerve racking once you start making permanant changes. You hope that you don't get to the end to realize you really screwed something up. Your write up and pictures should be really useful for others.

Steve

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ok, got the Typhoon sorted. From a previous post on the same subject:

And yes your gonna need some 20 gauge wire in order to extend the typhons wires to your drivers. It's realtively simple if you have some directions, I just had to figure it out by myself. step 1.) remove jumper wire from ports 2 and 4 of driver. step 2.) run a wire from the typhons red wire to port 2. step 3.) remove the wired from port 1 and wire a wire from black wire from typon to port 1 and connect wires that were in port 1 to wire and then proceed by placing all the wires into port 1. then your done, program and have fun. Also make sure the wires that come with the typhon are plugged into the 5v slot and not the 10v slot. I wasted several hours trying to figure out why it wasnt working to finally find that steves led drivers operate on the 5v and not the 10v lol. I will explain when you get it, and post pics at some point to help out. I found it very hard to install without directions and realize its actually pretty simple now that I know how to. In terms of supplies you'll need THIN 20 gauge hard wire not the flimsy kind, connectors, and electrical tape.