"Shamus' RSM130D Tank Thread"

Shamus

Well, I've decided to go with the LEDs - big order in to RapidLED and some soldering and hood changes planned for the future! Should be a fun project and something to get my new workbench at home dirty!

Shamus

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one - the sump would've been nice, but I keep on top of my water quality as much as I can and figure the increased light will help with coral growth and stock options.

Really looking forward to it!

Dweezil

Congrats on the LED choice. It should be a cool project for you to get your work bench broken in. :)

Shamus

RapidLED shipment came today!!! :)

Now I have everything I need (picked up other stuff needed for the project as I was (im)patiently waiting. I'm going to try and document my successes (and failures) as I go so that it might be helpful for others.

Shamus

Well, after a bunch of short times being able to work, only one broken tap (boy was THAT a pain), one broken driver (darn pot!) and pain soldering, my royal blues are hooked up! Once I get the rest done, I'll be sure to post my trials and tribulations. It's been an absolute blast so far!

305c4617.jpg

Shamus

LOL - why do you think it took me so long!?!

JK - there's a screw in the driver that the manual says to turn until you can't turn it anymore...well, if you put ANY force behind it, you can sail the screw right past the stopping point and send it into infinite spin. Basically destroys the dimmability of the driver. That was a semi- costly mistake. But a lesson learned.

Shamus

Thanks Juan! Didn't even think about in until it continually spun and then I was pretty sure I messed it up. Luckily, it's not too expensive and hadn't been wired in yet. Now I just have to wait for the replacement driver, but that's not a big deal as I still have to wire the white LEDs. And MAN are these things bright!!!

Shamus

Well - almost there! Just have moonlights to connect (not sure whether the existing moonlights will still shine once this guy is in the hood so I added four to the heatsink).

Not the prettiest job but it works!
6ac34118.jpg

Just blues:
63e43f77.jpg

Just whites:
8170f274.jpg

The whole shine:
1648e4fa.jpg

Once I get the rest of the pics and the moonlights in, I'll document a bit better. Boy, I can't wait to get these babies in the hood!