"Shamus' RSM130D Tank Thread"

Shamus

I've been manually removing every week (ends up taking about 45 min to 1 hour). Also gave APIs Algaefix a try, which makes it a bit easier to combat. That, plus another small powerhead in the back (minijet 400) has made a huge difference.

Sapphire

Good to hear :) I know it takes ages to remove by hand but I do think it helps - and it reduces any possible damage to corals it grows near/over. I also used a toothbrush to scrub the rocks as well - I think it helped to remove the algae and to get rid of any detritus etc that was feeding the algae.

I also increased my normal water change frequency from 7 days to 5...

Shamus

No real new news. The algae issue is under control finally (after a battle and significant reduction in feeding - replenished with fresh snails for the CUC as well. All the fish are doing well, although the black clownfish is almost vicious during feeding time (I always have to anticipate the 'charge' when going in for the seaweed clip :) ). I had a couple Xenia arms melt, but it's still growing like mad - I think the melting was coral warfare with the neighboring polyps.

Shamus

I haven't gotten a chance to add any new corals since my Lunars went in from the frag swap - haven't even gotten a chance to make a run to the LFS! I've been really missing getting there for some new purchases, but we're trying to finish our basement in pieces, so that's sucked up some funds. Although I did get a nice workroom out of the deal and got to build a nice workbench :)

The wife saw a small tank in one of our colleague's office (he does FW) and she now knows why I want a small tank for my office. And, with the new workbench and some power tools, once the basement is complete, she's suggested that I try my hand at building a cabinet for a larger tank for the basement :) - I'd have to do a ton of research on building and supporting the weight of the tank I'm interested in building for (I'll have to really study and bug Juan), but it would be a nice way to try my hand at it. At the very least, I may get the go ahead for the small office tank, which'll mean cycling but more importantly thinking about new additions!! Better start planting that seed again... :)

jpsika08

I'll have to really study and bug Juan
Steve, anytime buddy, glad to help you in anyway I can :thumbup:

Congrats on the office tank and good luck, hope we see pics of it once you begin setting it up :)

jpsika08

That's a beautiful tank and I have to agree that on a office it would look incredible.
If someday I have frags from my own tank, maybe I will have something like this at the office too, hope you get yours soon :)

Shamus

Yeah, I like the pico. However, after much reflection, I'm planning on putting the money that would be needed to purchase and stock the pico into the RSM. My thoughts now are either putting in a sump or LEDs into the hood (thanks to ReefPaddy's inspiration and help). And the wife said "Get whatever you want". Little did she know what she just gave permission for :)

So it's off to do some research. I see advantages to both - sump will help with water quality and increase volume for a potential increase in LS and the LEDs will give me more light and save on bulb replacement and energy. Guess I have a bunch of reading to do!