Shallow Rimless Build

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey guy's, sorry for the delay.
Yep, I have been painting. I am using a cup gun to spray everything so far. I had to build a tent in the garage so I could heat up the stand. I got the idea from Rhodes greenhouse. I was very surprised at how warm it was in his plastic sheeted wall the day I went over there. It was about 30f that day and felt like the 70's inside his greenhouse!
Doing it inside my garage out of the wind makes it even better and I can easily work in flip flops and a tee shirt out there now.
So far I have the stand completely primed with BIN and the first coat of oil based white is on. I am using Benjamin Moore satin impervo for all the color. After that I will use a clear lacquer to give it all a shine.
004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

010-3.jpg

012-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

014-1.jpg

016.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

here's a shot with one of the 400w halides working
001-2.jpg

Today I will be sanding out the first coat of white on the inside and applying the second coat.
This week I will pick up the blue for the outside and get that done if time allows me.
Thanks for visiting!
Frank

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks everyone :)
Sorry for the cheesy cell shots. I'll see about getting better pictures up this week.
Sorry to be out so much also. I had a few jobs come in and I need to focus on that right now but my hope are to get the blue paint this week and get that on over the weekend.
After that i will be able to move this indoors and start setting up the plumbing.
See you soon and thanks for the usual warm replies :)
Frank

Mavjoy

Great job on the paint Frankie! Sweet set up and great project. I can't wait to see the finish product.

steved13

PREMIUM
Very nice work!!! I'm always awestruck by good craftsmanship, and envious, as I have no talent for it. When I paint I have to go by "if there's no runs...there's not enough paint" motto. LOL Now I just use my wallet for painting.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hello everyone,
Last night Chris (rhodes) and my friend Adam came over and helped me setup the stand and tank in the kitchen breezeway. Here are a few pictures of how the paint came out. I ended up changing the clear coat product at the end because of troubles with the lacquer. I went with a water borne product from Germany and am finally happy with the results.
Sorry for the crappy cell shots. I'll do better next time.
Here is a shot in the the spray booth i made:
012-3.jpg
011-4.jpg

and finally in the house:
012-4.jpg

This is with just one 400w Radium. I still need to trim out the stand with the maple and build the doors. Also i need to build the canopy top to keep the light from escaping and make the fan system work right. I'm just glad to have it in the house now and room in the garage to work in.
014-2.jpg