sebae anemone, or Long Tentacle? will my clown pair W/ it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

new reefer 03

the glue was actually different, then i thought i would ask about gluing my anemone, so yea.

yes it is under a coralife 4 bulbe fixture, each bulb 65W 2 whites ( bought tank used and i didnt ask him ), and 2 actincs

i posted 1 Q twice on accident, but now everyone thinks it will die, because it is white, its not bleached, just nice whitish color.

sambrinar

the glue was actually different, then i thought i would ask about gluing my anemone, so yea.

yes it is under a coralife 4 bulbe fixture, each bulb 65W 2 whites ( bought tank used and i didnt ask him ), and 2 actincs

i posted 1 Q twice on accident, but now everyone thinks it will die, because it is white, its not bleached, just nice whitish color.

It's all good with the questions,,, just looked like you were in panic mode.... Wait and see what will happen, but be aware a dying nem can nuke a tank quickly... I have never had a nem, but I have seen many times on this site that a dying nem is a smell that you wont forget... So give it a whiff I guess :dunno:, no, no wait for someone with experience to suggest that... :)

new reefer 03

haha yea lol, he is looking better now that he is closer to the light, but still the cool whitish color that i love, but its not good.

i now know royal urchins are very hard to keep alive, but mine is doing GREAT, he has a frag of GSP's stuck to him =) i would think if i can keep him, that nem can stay alive

new reefer 03

my thing is placement... in front of power head away, by lights, away.
currently i have him 20" from my lights ( near top of rocks ) and he has moderate flow, there is a power head on the right of my main rock and he is attached to the left of my main rock.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
i would ask about gluing my anemone

Why in the world would you try something like that ? Anemones are motile which means they move until they find a spot they like not you !!!

just nice whitish color

Although white may be attractive to you it's a bad thing for the Anemone it means it's expelled it's zooxanthellae and if it doesn't recover it's zooxanthellae it will not survive.

new reefer 03

how can i help it recover its zooanthellae, food, light, movement?

also i think its going soon... there now is this strin coming from its mouth.
poop, or guts?

WITH POOPY STUFF
26589171.jpg

WITHOUT
shipoopi011.jpg

much mnore time left? i was fixing to do a 5 gal change

new reefer 03

does this look like poo, or his insides?
here he is when i first saw it.
26589171.jpg

here it is with just a little bloch of something, after WC
26895011.jpg

sambrinar, now im in panic mode... :dryer:

new reefer 03

help? should i take him out ( he will die and release toxins ), or should i let him keep pooping, or whatever hes doing?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The Anemone is acclimating to your tank and it's behaviour is normal just relax ! Hosting Anemones are difficult animals to keep and research should be done before purchase so these problems can be avoided, I hope you have learned a lesson :read:
Anemones shrink and expand as a way of regulating their internal water chemistry and flushing wastes from their bodies. This shrinking and expanding is most severe when an anemone is first added to a system. If your tank is stable and water parameters are good, you should not worry about this shrinking behavior too much. However, if an anemone starts to shrink and expand more frequently, or if it remains shrunk for long periods of time each day, there is something wrong...

...The absence of zooxanthellae is called bleaching, and can be caused by stress to the anemone, or lack of suitable lighting. Bleached anemones exhibit whitish translucent tentacles and often hide from light. A bleached anemone will require specialized care until it can grow its zooxanthellae back – a process which will take 3 months or longer even in the best conditions.

Here's a good read on Anemones:

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

seatrueblue

Relax..your anemone is doing everything most anemones do when they are acclimating themselfs to their new home. Is there any way you could return this anemone to the LFS you bought it from? This is known to be the most difficult anemone to keep happy and alive. This anemone ranks right up there with the magnifica. Some people get lucky and find a healthy one. Your anemone might have a chance if you provide it the right lights, food, and a clown to use it as a host. The H. Malu you have is a sand dwelling anemone but I guess you having it on the rocks isn't so bad since you don't have good enough lights for it. The best and only way for it to gain its zooxanthellae back is to have it under Metal Halides. I always get a feeding responce when I feed my anemones small pieces of raw sea scallops. So try feeding it scallops or squid..be sure to feed it small pieces no bigger than its mouth. If you can't afford good lights for this H. Malu, can you find a local reefer with all the things your anemone needs?

new reefer 03

na, petco wont take it back, not even going to waist my timte.
my LFS will take it, if it gets to that, ill let it adjust then try to feed it some thawed (frozen squid) and see what happens, my dads tank has T5's could it go there, 100gal.
thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My only word of advice would be to trade/donate it to your LFS while it still has 1/2 of a fighting chance to recover.

chrome91

My only word of advice would be to trade/donate it to your LFS while it still has 1/2 of a fighting chance to recover.

i have to agree, your tank is too young and the lighting is not sufficient, i would give him up while hes still got some fight

new reefer 03

im thinkin that, but i want to try to feed it some frozzen squid first.
i also got a 1" ish ocilarras clown, for my other and im hoping they will love the anemone back to health ( your all thiking "Ya Right !!!" )

Status
Not open for further replies.