sebae anemone, or Long Tentacle? will my clown pair W/ it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

new reefer 03

hey,i broke down and went to petco...
i bought this anemone, it has purple tips bright white tentacles, and "stripes" by his mouth area. they called this a long tentacle anemone ( it looks like a long tentacle bubble tip ( is that a kind? ) it has short tentacles almost aiptasia like all curled up.
i have this clown fish, i bought him in a pair with my current pair that didnt go well, he got all eaten up lol then healed in a little bucket, i cant decide if i should get him another juvenile mate? or will he pair up with this anemone? he currently sleeps on the sand bed in the front left corner.
here are a few pics of them... !!
V

sorry his dumbass turned around =( and now i cant see his stripes, let alone him. also just phone pics so bear with me

anemone pics
penis035.jpg
penis036.jpg
penis037.jpg
penis038.jpg
penis039.jpg

Thanks for your help :dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer:

chrome91

how long has the tank been running? if your tanks under a year old, its too young for a anemone, and your lighting isnt enough for a sebae, i would get halides

lcstorc

Sometimes anemones host clowns and sometimes they don't. Sometimes it happens right away. Sometimes it takes months or years.
There is just no way to predict such things.
The most important thing right now is to try to keep them both alive. I suspect you are not prepared to keep an anemone so start reading up on their care and requirements by following the links above and going to our anemone forum.

new reefer 03

ok, sorry i am still going to have to be exactly sure on this he was expensive and i want it to live :dryer:
it just eats raw table shrimp? would a frozen bag from walmart work and thaw it?
also my lighting is poor for these ( petco sucks, they called it a LTA, so i thought it would be fine ) i have a coralife PC fixture. 4 65W bulbs. 2 actinic, 2 10,000k ish. ( bought the tank used so im not sure) should it be at the top of a tall rock, or is it ok with my rock/sand???

sorry about all of this, but also is there any special PC bulbs that you know of that arer the best? mine are about 1 year old the seller said, and i was looking at replacing them here, they are straight pins Power Compact Bulbs

what color combinations would you suggest, i was looking at 1 actinic 03, 1 actinic 03/ 7,100k for my actinics, and 1 10,000k, with 1 6,700k/ 10,000k for my white ones. is there a better suggested combo?
also are these good light manufacturers??
Thanks, i know i am very enquisative... if i spelled that right

new reefer 03

or should i go with the same 2 actinics, and same 2 white ones? would 4 different bulbs make each half of my tank look different?

althea2you

The degree to which you are successful in keeping anemones may depend a great deal on your ability to chose a healthy one from the dealers tank. This is easier said than done. Some things are pretty obvious. Anemones with open, loose mouths, deflated tentacles, or torn bases should be avoided. Other things may be less obvious. White transparent color in an otherwise healthy anemone may mean that it has expelled all its zooxanthellae and that it may be perfectly fine for up to 9 months before it gradually starts to waste away. Short stubby tentacles on an anemone that is supposed to have long thin tentacles, even though it looks healthy otherwise, may mean it has already started to decline. If the anemone is not attached to anything in the dealers tank, it may have difficulty attaching to something in your tank and probably won't survive long. Watch as the dealer removes your anemone from his tank. If the anemone doesn't contract a little or react in some way, it is not a robust anemone. Lastly, if the anemones is not at least a little sticky to the touch, it may have lost the ability to fire its stinging cells (nematocysts), which means it will be difficult, if not impossible, to feed.

yours looks like it has dispelled its zooxanthellae... which is not good.. but repairable with great lighting (halides... not PC's) white is NOT a good sign for an anem...sebaes should be tan at the very least

the tentacles look like they are stubby... and it says above that stubby tentacles means its already in decline...sorry!

and your nem looks like a Condylactis with the pink bottom it has...sebaes dont have a pink bottom. and if it is a LTA , the tentacles... well refer to the stubby part! :eek:

also check to see if it is sticky, if it is not... he probably wont eat at all and will die.. they are slow goers.. they have slow metabolisms so they die slower...so be careful that if he does, you remove him quickly cause they can foul a tank REALLY fast... they smell really bad as well..

just thought i would add a few things here to help, im no trying to be harsh in any way, just trying to help... i dont know anything about PC lighting, so i dont know what bulbs you need to change out too, sorry i couldn't help on that part

new reefer 03

great info, thanks
he is sticky to the touch ( i rearanged him many times, he stuck to everything )
as of feeding i have not attempted that yet, i will try tonight but have no frozen seafood. i have FD mysis, and some sort of sinking pellets. will these work?
as of his whiteness, i thought he looked cool ( stupid moment ) will feeding him heel him? also he is 13" from the top of the tank, and 15" from my PC's, he finally decided to go to one of MY preferred places=)

any other suggestions, please help ! i can provide Add. pics if you want now that he is visible

THANKS!

new reefer 03

well, i tried to feed him sinking pellets (no raw table shrimp) and he didnt eat..
is he a gonner? its been one day.
Thanks

new reefer 03

i googled that, and it really doesnt look like that, it looks like this

shipoopi016.jpg

shipoopi011.jpg

shipoopi014.jpg

shipoopi015.jpg

shipoopi013.jpg

honestly, i have low expectations for him =( i bought him to early, let alone i was told he was a LTA, and on top of that HE WONT EAT!!! is it to soon to worry about eating? ( 1 day )

ALSO i have not scrubbed my glass, or supplemented for about a week, keep going like that, or supplement and scrape?
THANKS!!! :dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer::dryer:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The base of it looks like an LTA but the tentacles say otherwise so I agree with cbrownfish Heteractis malu. The color appears to be yellowish which indicates to me that it's dyed, not good !!!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
LTA, and on top of that HE WONT EAT!!! is it to soon to worry about eating? ( 1 day )

Anemones take time to adjust to a new tank so trying to feed it during this period is futile and stressful. The fact that he's still sticky and reacting to touch is a good sign but give him time to acclimate to the new parameters and then try to feed him.

new reefer 03

i just cant decide what to do with it, it wont eat. thats my main worry. the now hated petco had it under PC lighting so i thought i would give it a shot, well i hit it right in the head. will it live, or die?
IS IT TO SOON TO WORRY ABOUT IT EATING YET???

sambrinar

i just cant decide what to do with it, it wont eat. thats my main worry. the now hated petco had it under PC lighting so i thought i would give it a shot, well i hit it right in the head. will it live, or die?
IS IT TO SOON TO WORRY ABOUT IT EATING YET???

Asked and answered.. I'm thinking you need to calm down... you asked 3 repeated questions in 3 minutes and the answer (by cheeks) was page before.... SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!

Anemones take time to adjust to a new tank so trying to feed it during this period is futile and stressful. The fact that he's still sticky and reacting to touch is a good sign but give him time to acclimate to the new parameters and then try to feed him.

The base of it looks like an LTA but the tentacles say otherwise so I agree with cbrownfish Heteractis malu. The color appears to be yellowish which indicates to me that it's dyed, not good !!!

This would be a good idea.... and you have it under PC's right??
should i test my water, and post results? i havent does supplements in a while. i dont want to find out lol

Status
Not open for further replies.