RSM Owners Nature/Wildlife Pictures, Etc.

Sapphire

Ok so here are a couple of shots of kea that we took at Arthur's Pass last time we went (and a shot of the Devil's Punchbowl Waterfall which is opposite our house - photos of the house on my tank thread!)

Pass25oct08055.jpg

Pass25oct08061.jpg

Pass25oct08057.jpg

The duck is Duximus maximus who come ererywhere with us!
Pass25oct08052.jpg

Pass25oct08068.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice pics of the Kea Emma! They're much bigger than I thought. You're killin' me with the pictures of the scenery around your home! It makes me want to move to NZ!

Sapphire

Glenn its a kea - a native NZ mountain parrot. very inquisitive and very intelligent (also quite destructive - they love the rubber seals on cars and wiper blades etc!)

My dad went to Arthur's pass yesterday and one stole anapple pie out the car when he wasn;t looking!

Terry: Yes it is beautiful - this is our holiday house in the mountains only 2 hours from where I live). It doesn't matter what season or weather it is it's just lovely!

Sapphire

Hi,

So does your parrot talk?? I think my uncle had an African grey that talked (and swore!) .Aren't they meant to be one of the best talkers??

Sapphire

I remember Alex - we looked at him quite a bit during psyc classes when i was doing my training as Speech Language Therpaist!

Blessed

Beautiful pics Emma! That scenery by your house is awesome. I've never heard of a parrot stealing a pie before. :lol:

Sapphire

Tammy - I don't think I have any pics of Kiwi (they're endandgered, hard to find and nocturnal). There are lots in zoos etc but you normally aren't allowed to take photos. I'll check though!

Blessed: Kea will steal anything!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Emma - can't take photos in zoos, or just not of the kiwis? I'm guessing they don't want camera flashes disturbing the nocturnal kiwis?

Sapphire

Terry: Just the kiwis - and yes it's becasue of the flash. They're quite shy birds at the best of times. And for a random fact they have the biggest egg in relation to their body size of any bird....

I'll see what I can do in terms of pics though. There are several varieties of kiwis, with different varieties in various geographial locations. We have them at Arthur's Pass - I've never seen one but you do hear them calling at night sometimes.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
yep... they are golden... lol... only green when peeled... I have only tried one or two :) I have a sweet tooth & like sweeter fruit
025.gif

I just could not help the play on words... :)