New Hydor Koralia powerheads!

bluespotjawfish

Kirblit - How are you planning on setting these up in your 125 gallon? I have a 125 gallon setup with a #2 along with a split return line (probably ~550 gph), and a MJ 1200. I can't imagine adding as much as you have planned for yours without blowing away my corals. What corals do you have? I am going to replace the 1200 with another one of these, and I'm really debating anywhere from a small #1 to a #3. Really can't decide, but I know the tank won't handle more than one more of these units without going crazy.

So everyone which size should I get? It will be in the opposite corner as the other one, next to my overflow box. It will probably aim it mostly towards the front of the tank (18 inches away). The #1 would be adequate for the circulation I need, but would hate to get it and wish I got a larger unit. I think a #2 would be okay as well. Or, I could replace the #2 I have with a #3, and then put the #2 in this corner which is tighter. The #2 is currently directed clear across the 6' of the tank front (very close to the surface).

Kirblit

Sorry I goofed, I got 2 #3's and 2 #2's. I don't have the tank up and running yet, and I wanted to make sure I had enough because it was such a good deal and I knew the price would go up, so I said get um while their cheap! But after using them I think I'll prob use them all. I'm going to put the #3's on opposite sides facing each other and then the #2's between the two overflows. They will all point slightly up to really get the surface going. 2900 gph total sounds like alot, but the flow is really wide. I set them all up in the bathtub like I was planning in the tank and put a couple little plastic plants from my wife's freshwater tank in the middle to see how it did. I really liked the flow! Not any real push in one direction or the other, just a lot of gentle swaying back and forth (very random) I don't think it will be to much flow, but I have been wrong before, lol. If you put your hand about 6in in front of the pump the water is so dispersed that you can hardly even feel it. I would compare the flow to less than a MJ 600 when your hand is right infront of the output on the Koralias. Also just for kicks I put a couple peices of toilet paper in the water to see what the suction was like into it, and it was very hard to even get them to be sucked towards it at all, just kept pushing away, no real suction going in. This makes me feel even better knowing that things wont get sucked right in to it.

Kirblit

It never did get sucked up at all, I think that it's because a small amount of water is always going out of all the slits in the sides, and not just the front. I have seen many things get ripped to shreds in a ph and was happy to see that this may be avoided now.

bluespotjawfish

Kirblit, sounds good. I always like a pump to spare anyway, so if you get yours setup and its too much you can remove one. Better than not having enough. The #2 is definitely nicer than the MJ 1200 on the corals. I think based on your input I am going to get the #3 for my second one.

BHinAK

My skunk cleaners stand on top of the #4 and eat flake food off the waters surface. During the day they normally hang out so close to it that their long feelers stick into the cage. Mounted on the back of the tank next to the overflow pointed at the front glass they have noticable flow at more than 1 ft laterially.

bluespotjawfish

#3 is on order, expect it on Tuesday. My foxface has decided that he can get the food away from the pump. No one else has tried.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
RECALL - Koralia 2 and 3

For those of you with the Koralia 2 and 3 .... according to Marine Depot they are on recall from the manufacturer. They didnt seem to know why but you may want to check into it

Thanks Brothawolf!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Any more news on the recall?

I would like to order either two #4's or two #3's...

Kirblit

I sent an email to Marine Depot asking if it was true and they said yes, and that I should contact Hydor for the details. I sent Hydor an email last night and I have not heard back yet. I think I will just try calling them later on today, I'll keep you posted if I hear anything back.

Kirblit

I'm pretty upset right now because I just got mine that I ordered about a month ago from Champion last week and of course I ordered a combo of both of these:smack: :smack: ! I hope it's not a big deal and can be fixed easy, or that it was just with the one's that were first made.

Kirblit

I called them yesterday and they were great. They said that Italy recalled them for "a nonspecific inspection" and that is all they knew. The guy I talked to said that they would replace all the pumps for #4's at no extra charge!:bouncer: I told him I would like to upgrade the #3's and he said that was fine and that I could get the #2's replaced at the end of the month when they get the new one's in. He told me just to take the 2 #3's to a local UPS store and have them shipped to Hydor at their cost and that he would ship me 2 #4's back, just leave a note in the box for him to ship #4's back to me. He also gave me his email so that I can notify him when I'm shipping the #2's back and he will replace them. They are being more than accomadating in fixing the problem, and standing behind their product 100%!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Now THAT is excellent customer service!! Great news! Thanks for the update Kirblit~

bluespotjawfish

Hydor has not yet setup a official recall on these but if you contact them they will set you up with the return and give you an alternative. You can contact them at Hydor 916 920 5222.

The reply I got from Marine Depot about mine. I'll be calling today.