New Hydor Koralia powerheads!

Medic415

While I was on the phone with the service rep. I asked if they could price match, and was denied. Don't get me wrong I have purchased from F&S in past, no problems, but a $10.00 difference in price is alot, and I was pretty much told sorry about my luck sorta. Live and learn.

Gumby

OK, I am seriously considering purchasing 1 (maybe 2) of these Hydor Koralia's, but what size do i need for a 75g tank? Its your basic 75g that is approx 4ft long.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
OK, I am seriously considering purchasing 1 (maybe 2) of these Hydor Koralia's, but what size do i need for a 75g tank? Its your basic 75g that is approx 4ft long.

That depends on how much flow you want, what your substrate is(fine sand gets blown easily), what type of corals you have (sps require more flow than lps), etc.

The Hydor Koralia 4 pushes 1200 gph
The Hydor Koralia 3 pushes 850 gph
The Hydor Koralia 2 pushes 600 gph
The Hydor Koralia 1 pushes 400 gph

Gumby

My sand is not fine (it was the sand from a bag that alledgedly is "live" sand), and its between 2" and 3" deep in places.

I currently have only 1 watermelon mushroom coral (5 shrooms total) as my old pumps ate the branching xenia that i had.

Honestly, I was thinking 2 #3's on oppposite sides of the tank. But I was trying to get opinions from the proffessionals (I am certainly not one) to make sure I was thinking correctly or incorrectly.

Gumby

So my wife just told me to spend $$ on some pumps and I want to do it before she changes her mind.....

Considering what I have currently 1 watermelon shroom coloney (5 shrooms total) and what I woudl like to have, I LOVE ZOOS!

What size pumps should i get.

My plan is to get two and eventually hook them up to a wave maker, but in the mean time, they would be continually on.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
So my wife just told me to spend $$ on some pumps and I want to do it before she changes her mind.....

Considering what I have currently 1 watermelon shroom coloney (5 shrooms total) and what I woudl like to have, I LOVE ZOOS!

What size pumps should i get.

My plan is to get two and eventually hook them up to a wave maker, but in the mean time, they would be continually on.

If you currently aren't running any powerheads... I'd go with the #4's... the flow is soft and wide on the Koralias. I also wouldn't worry so much about the wavemaker... the key is to have good flow throughout your tank to minimize dead spots.

Gumby

I have 2 power heads on now, but one is 180gph and the other is around 300, so it would be a HUGE increase in water flow.

I used to have 4 but two of them took a crapper at the same time.

Gumby

I bought two #4's and they ROCK!!!!!!!
Just thought you should know.

With all this water flow......:eek: I just found out how dirty my tank was.....

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I bought two #4's and they ROCK!!!!!!!
Just thought you should know.

With all this water flow......:eek: I just found out how dirty my tank was.....

Thanks for the feedback!! I haven't ordered mine yet... Are you happy with the #4's or is it too much flow?

BHinAK

I have 2 each #4's. Just a heads up on hooking them up to a wavemaker. The prop slides on the main shaft, so when they start/stop they will "throw out" like the starter on your car sometimes then come back into the motor. So there is some noise created which can become bothersome.

BHinAK

I like them. I did find out something about them when I removed 1 to my other tank. The rubber gasket on the inside has somewhat of a suction cup effect once installed for awhile. After taking off the Outside magnet the head didn't come off so easy. I had to pry it off with a small screwdriver to break the suction.

bluespotjawfish

I've had my #2 for a few days now. I like it and will probably get another one to replace the MJ1200. I few little things I have noted so far... Food is getting caught in the cage and fish can't get around the thing to pick it off (mine is in the top corner of the tank). There is a slight hum from the blades turning, but I'm used to the sound already.

Kirblit

I finally got mine a couple of days ago. I got 2 #3's and 2#4's for my 125g that I will be setting up. I hooked them all up in the bath tub and they work very well. The flow is very wide, but they do make an awful noise on start up but after that they run pretty quiet. Great deal for $28 each!