New Hydor Koralia powerheads!

BHinAK

The good news is that its well made "in Italy" Its quite and the flow is good. No where in the instructions does it mention Do not use with a wave maker. At 4 ins below water level theres no vortex to the surface from the intake.

But as you can see the motor is small and it shows 12Watts on motor but its advertised (also in the the instructions) as 8.5 watts. The magnetics are common ones not the super strong Neodymium.

Attachments

• 100_0097.jpg
    100_0097.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_0098.jpg
    100_0098.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_0101.jpg
    100_0101.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_0102.jpg
    100_0102.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_0104.jpg
    100_0104.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 86

BHinAK

The power cord is 6 ft long. Below is the prop and shaft. I'm still trying to get the prop off the magnet without breaking it. I'm thinking " Mod that Prop " diffrent pitch.

Attachments

• 100_0099.jpg
    100_0099.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 86

BHinAK

This is the inside magnet on top of the rear cage. The motor has been removed. It clicks in place easy. 1 pump was very hard and 1 was really easy to push the red part down into the cage hole. It has not been pushed down yet.

Attachments

• 100_0107.jpg
    100_0107.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 85

BHinAK

As you can see i've been adjusting the pic size with Jpeg resizer and brought the res down from 7.1 to 5 Megpix. Anyone have the same towel

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thank you BHinAK for the review :thumbup: I like the way you used a memory card to show the size :) karma to you~

Munki, they are different because the flow is strong/wide (not a thin jet stream), the price is low, it can swivel, and has low power consumption. Most other PH with a strong/wide flow are VERY expensive (tunze,seio). Hopefully, these will prove to be durable.

ckimble

I ordered two #3's and should have them today... Fed-Ex tracking says on truck for delivery. Will let you all know

nice i am seriously concidering these pumps my seio 1500 are not only bulky but they are to powerful in a 4ft tank unless it is sps only

Dam 4ft tank whats wrong with me should have gotten a 180g:hammerhea

i am going to wait to read your guys reviews and for my $$$$$ to get in check before i try them out

is there a controller?

ckimble

Here is a shot of the #3 rated at 850gph

IMG_1787.jpg

Compared against the Maxi-jet I have this thing really puts out the flow and it seems to be a much wider flow pattern.

Observations so far...

Both powerheads took a little work to get spinning, one was shipped with the prop out of the center support. Easy to fix by popping off the cover and realigning. Both took a little spin with my finger to start turning. The magnets aren't overly powerful, but strong enough to hold it in place. The back magnet did require support when repositioning as it fell off sever times while trying to swing the head into position.

I think for the price, thery are very nice

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I also received 2 Hydor Koralia #3's and have put them in my tank. The quality of my Tunze Nanostream is higher than the Hydor, but like the prior reviews... it's a nice pump for the money.

The magnets are definitely weaker than the Tunze. I have 1/2" glass... so anyone with thicker glass considering them... the magnets will not work for you.

boozeman

jfk...did you hear that by cutting notches into the nanostreams interior impeller housing you can increase the flow

boozeman

sorry..don't remember where i saw it. the person removed that interior housing that covers/shrouds the impeller. then someone from tunze said that voids the warranty :lol:...then someone else said that it was there to prevent the fins from spining out of control..so someone suggested to notch it instead and voila! it worked by obstructing it less thus increasing flow thru into the impeller.
I did find a link to someone who already modded the Koralia on RC thread id=1023416

Medic415

I ordered 2 pumps last week from Foster&Smith, knowing they were on back order and nobody else had them. Well Marine Depot is showing them in stock today, $10.00 cheaper than F&S accross the board. Tried to cancel my order this morning, but was told can't cancel the order is in the final processing, the only thing I can do is recieve them and send them back for either store credit or loose money on a restocking fee. Probably the last order from F&S for me.