My 200gl

cracker

A few recent pics!

HPIM0960.jpg

HPIM0967.jpg

HPIM0962.jpg

HPIM0963.jpg

cracker

I really need to work on my photo skills. I did some badly needed maintenance. Replaced water filters (sediment, carbon & di resin). TDS was 10 before the changes. TDS is 3 now. I have never seen a zero tds reading. I suspect it's the accuracy of the meter itself. I removed the egg crate cover & the glass panels from my light hoods. This definitely improved the lighting. I also have new Hamilton 14k bulbs on the way. Now I have two 10k xm's & one 10k coralview bulbs. I also ditched the n:vision bulb I had over the refugium & went back to the enclosed LOA enclosed flood light. The Chaeto grew much better under this light. I'm looking forward to see how the corals like the 14 k bulbs. Do Y'all think I need to be concerned with a sudden change? :hallo:

cracker

One reason for the change in bulbs is the "seemingly" poor coraline growth since I started using my current lighting 1st part of this year. I plan to see if the 14's will perk up the coraline a bit . I also started using a different salt mix & stepped up changes. No matter what I do water parameters seem to stay the same. Important levels are on the low side.
Ph 8
Ca 320/340
Kh 7/125.3
I suspect high Co2 levels could be a factor. I have been airing out the house in the morning when it's still fairly cool outside. I'm hesitant to use additives until I get into a proper testing routine. I have a very small bioload & don't think I should need any.

JoJo

hey Brian. sorry i cant help with the questions. so are you ready for TS Fay? it probably wont affect you much.

cracker

Hello Joe, I do have a ton of questions "but" they are all answered by trying different methods etc. Some things Ya just gotta learn for yourself. Some sound advicei never hurts . The trick is to take said advice !LOL
I'm not too worried about FAY. I expect some rain & some wind

Cole ,I'm not testing for Mg yet.

Speaking of rain ,here it comes again.

coleBB

could be the reason for low calcium...ecspecially if your low stocked..once you get the mg up, its a hek of alot easier to keep your calcium where you want it...same goes for alk.......cross reference your test kits also..i once though i was in major trouble and it was just my tests

cracker

could be the reason for low calcium...ecspecially if your low stocked..once you get the mg up, its a hek of alot easier to keep your calcium where you want it...same goes for alk.......cross reference your test kits also..i once though i was in major trouble and it was just my tests

Now that I'm finally getting some critters in this tank. it "is" time to address proper testing & additives. Time to take that next "stepup" so to speak. No more corals until I get my water & lighting right.
HPIM0973.jpg

this is with all new Hamilton 14's. Well I wanted blue & I got it! It is a big change to my eye at least. The corals do pop colorwise a little more. I was so used to the 10k bulbs.

coleBB

yea a nice setup like that deserves the time to get it right the fisrt time....i came at the reef hobby from left field and boy did i pay for it..whats the dimensions on your tank..i also am a BLUE type of guy

cracker

Thanks Jack, The tank overall looks a lot better in person. I don't have any other lighting than the three 250W mh's. My prob is I now have several different brand & colors of bulbs to choose from! Mix & match? Nobody warned me about how easy one can complicate things :laughroll

ColeBB, I know exactly what You mean! I "thought" I knew what I was doing. Not even close! The tank is 72 by 24 by 29" , around 200 gls. It's a little over 3 years old.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's looking good Brian :D

I'm a "Blue" kind of guy to which is why I LOVE the 14k bulbs. Not TOO blue but just right for my tastes.

When I went from 10k to 14k I have a Favia start to recede some but I moved it lower and she seems to have settled down some.

Tank looks SWEET!! :D

coleBB

i also have 14ks, ive been playing with the idea of 20's lately...i dunno tho.. my current poerpaq dont seem as bue as i thought they would...maybe im just too use to it..i really like that size of tank tho ive looked at 180's but i want something with a little more depth

cracker

Well,I'm getting used to the more blue lighting, not sure how the corals like it. Any little change in them & I have a tendency to over react. Is it the lighting? Is it the flow? Is it the water?:scram:
Anyway. I understand there is a "burn in" time for new bulbs. How will they change color wise & how long will does it usually take?

coleBB

i am not exactly sure on that...ive noticed after about 45 days that they didnt seem AS blueish..yeah its east to get crazy..I had some bad test kits once that had just gottin old and they were giving me all sorts of weird reading..so of course i over reacted and messed my tank up sooooo much worse.. i tend to not test anymore....i just take it to my friend at the lfs and tell him only to tell me if its REALLY bad otherwise i dont need to know..

cracker

You Guys just had to bring up the sandbed! I have way too much sand in there. Sure I could & want to change it out, go with a more "shallow" sandbed . Sound like a lot of work? While I'm at it I mine as well tear out & replace the too small overflow box's & drill some holes for a proper closed loop.
I forgot to mention that moving the whole stand forward 7 to 8 ' would give me a 7 by 10 foot area behind the tank for all kinds of equipment. A sink, nice big sump & maybe even a frag tank or two!