My 200gl

cracker

dude u are crazy huh...lol

Your right but there is a certain logic to my madness. Now I was Ok with my setup until recently. I ran across a post here that hit home. The "Wise" point was something like "tear it down now & do it right, otherwise You will always wish You had".

JoJo

i dont think your sandbed is too deep, it looks about the same as mine(6" in some places).

that would be nice to have that area behind the tank and i dont think it would be too much work. just do it in stages but before you REALLY start stocking the tank with coral and fish.

cracker

i dont think your sandbed is too deep, it looks about the same as mine(6" in some places).

that would be nice to have that area behind the tank and i dont think it would be too much work. just do it in stages but before you REALLY start stocking the tank with coral and fish.
Well said!:ponder2:

framerguy

Yeah, I don't think it is too deep either. Mine is nearly as deep. It just makes for a more natural nitrate reduction area. You probably will have to work a little harder at maintaining it is all.

JoJo

what do you mean by maintaining it Greg? making sure you have good sandbed cleaners or skimming the top of it every so often?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Would it be "that" hard to scoop out the sand and rake it around? I mean it wont be fun and it wont look good (Clean) for a day but I wont be that hard to do.. I don't think.... :)

JoJo

so we're SUPPOSED to rake sand as OPPOSED to removing a section at a time after a certain period of time?

JoJo

with a huge CUC, is there enough for them to feed on? i'm adding to my CUC slowly because i dont want to add to quickly and they die from starvation.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You want to stock your CUC according to your tanks needs. On the days I feed I don't "pollute" the tank but I've always liked a healthy CUC crew. I went with the suggestions or John with ReefCleaners.org - Home and he shipped me one heck of a CUC. I've had them a few months now and they are actually multiplying in the tank so I would assume no one is starving and the tank stays VERY clean.

JoJo

thats what i want. i like the activity of a CUC as much as the fish. i'll have to check out that site. did you do all snails or crab and stuff too?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I didn't do any crabs. I have a good local source for them and I can watch them before I buy them. So I do have crabs (not like THAT) but I got all snails from Reef Cleaners (the price can't be beat AND they are an RS Sponsor).

cracker

I'm getting a kick out of the discussion. I don't have a proper cleanup crew. Every so often I lightly rake & syphon off the very top layer of sand in problem areas. I guess eventually I'll end up with a more "shallow" sandbed. I'm not unhappy with this dsb. However "if" I do move the tank I will go with a lot less sand.
here are a couple pics of my poorly maintained sand bed.
HPIM0988.jpg

HPIM0989.jpg

Last edited: