My 200gl

BoomerD

You should keep your xenia away from the cabbage coral. In my tank, when the xenia got too thick, I'd move a piece of cabbage coral close to it, and within a couple of days, the xenia was dead...great pest control!

cracker

I purchased 3 Zebra Dartfish (Ptereleotris Zebra) today. They were out & eating within an hour. They are hanging together out in the open. So far the tang & dwarf angel have ignored them. The new finger & gorgonia's seem little pokey but all the others seem just fine. I finally got the top covered with eggcrate to my satisfaction. The fighting conch made a brief cameo appearance. This tank is finally looking like a real aquarium!l:laughroll
zebra_darts.JPG

framerguy

Nice additions!

I'm interested in that manifold you built. Can you tell me how it is positioned...I assume it is buried in the sand, but how about where the water is directed with the 1/2" fittings. Are you putting loc line on them to direct flow, then hide it with rock work? My 96 x 30 tank will be here hopefully next week and I like this set up a lot for the closed loop.

JoJo

Greg, i'm pretty sure his manifold is just like mine. sitting on the back top of the pointing into the water... or did i miss something?

framerguy

Greg, i'm pretty sure his manifold is just like mine. sitting on the back top of the pointing into the water... or did i miss something?
Aha, it sit's on top pointing down! OK, I looked at it upside down. Makes sense now. :ponder2: :hammerhea

cracker

I guess You could use an inverted manifold under the sand. Only issues I see is having access to it if it became clogged somehow & getting the flow right. LIke one outlet blows to hard where another doesn't blow enough. The trick "I think" is to have all outlets the same size & a big enough pump to pressurize the entire manifold evenly.

cracker

I took Lynn's tip on how the gorgonia act as a "weathervane" & nitrates. A couple water changes & they are extending their polyps much better. The Zebra Darts are very cool fish. They are a little pensive still. They hang around high in the water column & a little shy at feeding time. With the much larger Sailfin ripping around under them. I can see why. They readily take oyster ,scallop & chopped krill but not very interested in any pellet or flake.

tbittner

That is an awesome pic of your darts, in that light. Very cool looking fish! It's great to hear that they're eating for you.

cracker

Two of my new darts are MIA! I had the tank well covered with eggcrate & have searched & searched ! One was missing yesterday morn then another this morn . The search continues! :cry1:

Well I just found one on the floor behind the tank. You folks told me but I still can't believe it found a tiny little gap in the egg crate. Now the question is "why" did it jump out in the 1st place? Was it trying to escape an attack? Can poor water quality cause it to stress out & jumping is a natural response? Regardless I'm on a mission to jump proof this tank! It pains me to lose a fish due to my carelessness.