My 200gl

cracker

Both pieces from Doni , the softies & gorgonias I got from Lynn are all looking fantastic! Everybody came right out of hiding in a short time.
Barb, I'm a stage 1 beginner as well. I did as much as I could under the water. The LPS had stoney bases so I just wedged them into holes & cracks. I did the same with the gorgonia. Two Softies I sewed to rubble pieces. I did this ASAP in a shallow glass bowl. They were exposed to airfor a very short time. I'm not prepared to start hacking & sawing at these precious animals leaving them gasping for water quite yet!
I will wait a week before I really start bragging! LOL

BarbMazz

Both pieces from Doni , the softies & gorgonias I got from Lynn are all looking fantastic! Everybody came right out of hiding in a short time.
Barb, I'm a stage 1 beginner as well. I did as much as I could under the water. The LPS had stoney bases so I just wedged them into holes & cracks. I did the same with the gorgonia. Two Softies I sewed to rubble pieces. I did this ASAP in a shallow glass bowl. They were exposed to airfor a very short time. I'm not prepared to start hacking & sawing at these precious animals leaving them gasping for water quite yet!
I will wait a week before I really start bragging! LOL

Thanks Brian... trying to imagine myself sewing living animals onto something else in a little bowl of water. Just can't get there! lol

I guess you have to just jump in and try this eventually.. tomorrow my ric and zoas arrive from Daniel, so I'll get some experience, too!

cracker

I just tried the "superglue method" on a finger leather. I tried to wedge it into a spot & tie dental floss around it but it wasn't snug enough. The super glue seems to have worked very well. I dried off the rock & bottom of the coral with cotton pads. Applied a heavy dollop of crazy glue to the rock stuck the foot of the coral in it. & held it submerged for at least a minute. Sure enough it held very well! Somebody around here said it would work!:happywalk

JoJo

Hey Brian, whats up? glad to those new pieces are cooperating with you. i'm starting to put together a list of corals i want, all softies because i love the "motion in the ocean"

cracker

Joe, So far so good! I had to reset and move a few around that looked like they had too much flow. I found a few dislodged & have been watching very closely to see if they seem to be in too much light/flow. Of course I have temp issues. I really love a perfectly good excuse to lower the thermostat on the AC!

JoJo

sounds like all minor issues with easy fixes. i'm the same way with the A/C, Kim & the 2 pitbulls be shivering but me & the rotty are comfortable. i keep the house & cars so cold that when i go outside i start sweating immediately. LOL

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like some good progress. I never had any luck with super glue on my leather because in a couple of days it would "slime" itself off the glue and float around. I used a pair of toothpicks through the bottom in an "X" fashion and then used small "Braces" rubber bands to hold the toothpicks to the rock. In a couple of weeks it had "Bonded" to the rock and I snipped off the protruding toothpick and threw away the rubber bands.

:)

lcstorc

Great job on the ID's Brian. Several were cut earlier that day so it may take some time for them to adjust.
Be sure to post pics as they grow and thrive. The mother animals have already healed so obviously they didn't mine.

cracker

Well speak of the Devil! Allen,I was just about to ask You about your refugium lighting schedule. We will see how my 1st efforts at attaching corals will work out. One I ran a needle & thread thru the base ,the other I super glued.
Thanks Lynn, For now I plan to leave them alone. I think/ they are all in good spots.

JoJo

hey B, just crusing through your thread again. getting ideas about the spraybar. enjoy your weekend, its nice beach weather.

cracker

Joe, I'm a "flow freak" Imho One can't have enough flow thru "everything" including the sump. I use the biggest pipe I can for maximun water flow. I think spray bars only hinder flow overall. Why restrict a return with a spray bar? You kill the flow & waste electricity that's why. If you want good ,strong current, rely on powerheads or a well designed closed loop. Now that is just how I see it.

JoJo

i thought you had a spraybar on your tank? i was thinking of adding the same type that you remade as the return from my CL. did i miss something?

cracker

Joe , Sorry for the confusion. It's just a choice of terms. I picture a sparybar as a return pipe with a bunch of small holes drilled in it.This pic is my most recent attempt at a return "manifold".
return_pipe.JPG

This is probably the 4th or 5th version I have tried. It's 1.24 diameter pipe that reaches across the back & both sides. It has 8 ,1/2inch outlets. The entire thing is almost 8 feet in length. My return pump is a Mag 36. This latest configuration is by far the best so far. It has been quite a challenge to find that fine line between good flow versus velocity. No reason why You can't use a smaller version. Pipe size/ number of outlets will depend on the size of your return pump & tank.

lcstorc

Hope the frags are doing well for you. If not let me know and I can cut more. This time I could give them time to attach before you take them home. It was just a spur of the moment type thing last time. Everything I fragged has healed o0ver and is growing again where I cut so I could easily do the same again. I love softies. They are so forgiving.

cracker

Lynn, The finger coral is the only one that seems unhappy. I don't know if moving it around versus leaving it alone is best. The kenya & cabbage both look very happy. Seems the gorgonias come & go as they please. I think I will move the finger a little lowerin a more quiet spot to see if it perks up a bit. Doni's candy cane is doing great. Something or some body is dislodging the green tips. could be the flow But I'm watching the dwarf angel real close!

lcstorc

I have the finger leather against the wall with the overflow so it gets a slow but constant flow. It's about mid way of a mh light. Mine certainly has good days and bad days so give it some time. Hopefully it will come around.
Once the brownish gorg gets established it is a great nitrate indicator. If it stays closed when the lights are on, then I need to do a water change. The piece I cut for Doni isn't doing as well in the 90. Either it wants more flow or it wants more light. The flow in that tank is a mess but we have to tear it down and re-do it anyway.