Kman's Red Sea 250

Kman237

I may end up using ATI due to seeing people like this brand more. Now I cant seem to find a 34inch bulb by ATI. Is everyone using the 36inch ATI bulbs?

I think I'll also visit the LFS see what they recommend.

Last edited:

Kman237

I recommend ATI. 2 blue plus,1 aquablue special, 1 actinic, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus. You can do 2 aquablue special for a brighter whiter look. I like my bluish look

Pablomay28 your freaking awesome!!! Thank you. I will follow this combo I like the blue look also. Do you use the 36inch bulbs?

Kman237

Thanks nanoreefing4fun I will mostly like follow that setup.

Just here to give an update on the tank. So far its all gravy. Almost two weeks ago i pulled a ton of rock from the system and cleaned off my algae. I felt the battle was lost. I Had let the algae get out of control before putting it in check. I re-worked my layout. I really like the way the layout looks now.

Here is a video I made. I have added a few frags and frag rack. The Video is just a little old.

PS - the skimmer is skimming some real nasty skim. Something I didn't see the stock skimmer do.

Attachments

• Resize Tank shot.jpg
    Resize Tank shot.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 12

Kman237

newo11

18 volt battery and power coverter work just as well, to give you some peace of mind. Essentially, all you will need to run is a powerhead and (if it is wintertime when you lose power) a heater. Your tank will be fine without lights for a couple of days. It will not be okay without oxygen and/or a substantial loss of temperature. Oxygen levels can drop in just a couple of hours - that is what you need to be concerned with most of all when you lose power. The powerhead needs to circulate the water and most importantly, break the water surface tension to allow for oxygenation.

You can also run the power coverter off of your car battery with a really long extension cord in a pinch. (I speak from experience!)

I only have to worry about a power loss during the winter in NC though. If you are going to try to run your chiller (i.e. you have a power loss in the summer time), then you may have too high of a power draw to run this way, and may need a generator.

Kman237

18 volt battery and power coverter work just as well, to give you some peace of mind. Essentially, all you will need to run is a powerhead and (if it is wintertime when you lose power) a heater. Your tank will be fine without lights for a couple of days. It will not be okay without oxygen and/or a substantial loss of temperature. Oxygen levels can drop in just a couple of hours - that is what you need to be concerned with most of all when you lose power. The powerhead needs to circulate the water and most importantly, break the water surface tension to allow for oxygenation.

You can also run the power coverter off of your car battery with a really long extension cord in a pinch. (I speak from experience!)

I only have to worry about a power loss during the winter in NC though. If you are going to try to run your chiller (i.e. you have a power loss in the summer time), then you may have too high of a power draw to run this way, and may need a generator.

awesome thank you for this info. Very helpful!

Oxylebius

You can also buy air pumps that are battery operated. This is not the car battery and convertor option that was mentioned above (which I have used w/success), you can also pick up air pumps that run on normal batteries. Depending on your tank size getting several of these and having regular batteries on hand helps if you get power outages. But, won't help much in the winter when you need heat.

Evo

Just done a whistle-stop tour of your thread Kman and have to say the before and after shots of the tank (6th Apr & 5th May) are pretty impressive - breathed new life into this one and looking great! Credit to ya.

Kman237

Just done a whistle-stop tour of your thread Kman and have to say the before and after shots of the tank (6th Apr & 5th May) are pretty impressive - breathed new life into this one and looking great! Credit to ya.

Evo, thank you very much. I appreciate that :)

GregT

I always struggled with high temps and just managed without a chiller for a few years, until one day when I was on holidays and the outside temp hit 30C+ and the inside temp hit close to 40C. I lost all my SPS corals, anemone, Zoas and a fish.
Took the tank and me a long time to recover.
I went to LED lighting mainly for the reduction in heat.
IMO a chiller is a must if you run the T5's in the 250.
Ps only good thing to come out of it was the high temp killed off all aptasisia and Xenia.

Kman237

Hello, everyone its been a little while. Tank is doing well. My BTA has been growing and acting a little odd. (inflating and deflating) Maybe its thinking about splitting. Check out this reach lol.

Attachments

• ANE Pic.jpg
    ANE Pic.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 20
  • ANE Pic2.jpg
    ANE Pic2.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 86