Emergency Battery Backup

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ttery-backup-any-tank-any-size-step-step.html

here the thread... looks like cod delete some pics where they were hosted

my inverter looks like this... if that helps

spin_prod_675232001

Kaze3

Here's my back-up plan that has proven successful two days ago thanks to this HEAT WAVE here in NY

This unit even has a built-in fan (was a mod)

During my 5.5 hour power outage, I was able to run both my VorTech MP-40's

Last edited:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Kaze3,
That's exactly what I plan to get as my backup as soon as funding permits.

Kaze3

Those little Honda's are awesome! If I lived in a house instead of a apartment, I would have 2 of them for the duel setup with the ATS so we'er ready to go!!

Kaze3

Cool! Its definitely worth it. I was amazed when I woke up that morning and still had no power, but the VorTech's were still chugging. :shades:

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I've always wanted to get something like the item below. Auto charging of the car battery when there's electricity and auto switch over to the car battery when electricity fails.

a3877f0b2992e6ec24ec13769f01c3f9.jpg

StirCrayzy

I'd recommend against relying on the UPS, they aren't designed to provide hours of current, and battery degrades 10% per year.
I've got a few of them on computers at work and we are on a 5 yr replacement plan. Basically after 5 yrs, they can only run a computer for 5 minutes, vs 45 minutes when brand new.
We lose power in the shop a couple times a year, and I'm not convinced they are reliable enough to keep my tank running for very long. I WILL say they are the most easy to setup and most widely available option tho, and definitely better than nothing :)
A sealed deep cell battery, inverter, and solar charger will cost about the same but last longer and give you more running time.