Kman's Red Sea 250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
beautiful - splitting or on the move :dance:

index.php

mtsully71

Well, depends on your heat from your lights and equipment etc. Also a huge factor is if you have AC or not, what is the temperature of your house? My house stays a balmy 72 degrees and never needed one on my 130 with T5's. The reefer I have running now for a month has never fluctuated more than a degree.

Your tank temp is fine.

IMO reading what you wrote, I would not if it was my tank. But, you be in the Lone Star State and summer aint no joke in them thar parts partner. Keep an eye on it and if you start creeping above 81-82 ish you might look into one, just in case .

Lots of smart reefers on here with chillers who can probably answer this better than I. There are no dumb questions on this forum .

Tank looks good :thumber2:

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Awesome shot of the anemones.

To answer the poll in the post on the last page, I personally use a Generac brand 7000W. That way when my power goes out in my house, I can run the fridge, house lights, and 7 aquariums with power to spare.

Always go bigger than you think you need. The generator will only make power that you pull, so it is not necessarily going to waste fuel just because the generator is too big. Fuel is burned to create watts, so a 3,000W generator that has an actual load of 2,000W will burn about the same amount of fuel as a 7,000W generator that has am actual load of 2,000W.

I have always had problems with heat living in Dallas, Tx, where the summers were 105°F and up. The aquarium water temps would always hang around 83°. Switching to LEDs caused my temp to drop in the 77-78°F range. LEDs weren't that much more expensive than a chiller plus a bulb change or two anyway.

Hope that helps?
Jeff

Kman237

Awesome shot of the anemones.

To answer the poll in the post on the last page, I personally use a Generac brand 7000W. That way when my power goes out in my house, I can run the fridge, house lights, and 7 aquariums with power to spare.

Always go bigger than you think you need. The generator will only make power that you pull, so it is not necessarily going to waste fuel just because the generator is too big. Fuel is burned to create watts, so a 3,000W generator that has an actual load of 2,000W will burn about the same amount of fuel as a 7,000W generator that has am actual load of 2,000W.

I have always had problems with heat living in Dallas, Tx, where the summers were 105°F and up. The aquarium water temps would always hang around 83°. Switching to LEDs caused my temp to drop in the 77-78°F range. LEDs weren't that much more expensive than a chiller plus a bulb change or two anyway.

Hope that helps?
Jeff

Awesome thank you for the info Jeff. You have been really helpful. Through this post and our emails back for forth about the retro fit. I'm still considering going that route. Again thanks!

Kman237

Hello, the tank is doing great I'll post some new pics soon.

Anyone have recommendations for a replacement pump #1? I can't seem to find one by Red Sea online. Seems like mine is going out or my need a cleaning. Either way it would be nice to have a back up.

Thanks.

Kman237

Hello, everyone here to post an updated photo on the tank. Everything is doing well.
Had a small problem some three peppermint shrimp. They ate three of my Acan frags no idea why. Had all three confirmed by the LFS that they were truly peppermint shrimp. Two Acan in recover now but one is completely lost. :(
019_zpsu0yidipq.jpg

019_zpsu0yidipq.jpg

Last edited:

Kman237

Any tips on how to get rid of that xenia coral. It use two be two polyps and now as you can see its taken over the front of that rock right in the middle of my tank!!!!

It came from the previous owner.

I'm debating just replacing the rock...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
one of the "I wish I had known..." lessons... it's so pretty pulsing, when I upgraded tank I left behind $800 of Tonga Branch LR, just to not bring it to my 2nd swt

it's a sw weed, that is very very hard to rid...

see what others can advise & best of luck

Kman237

one of the "I wish I had known..." lessons... it's so pretty pulsing, when I upgraded tank I left behind $800 of Tonga Branch LR, just to not bring it to my 2nd swt

it's a sw weed, that is very very hard to rid...

see what others can advise & best of luck

Thanks! After cutting it out and yes I left a little. Not knowing what exactly it was or how aggressive it grows. It's grown back slowly. In the last month is really blossomed. I never had so much of it in the tank.

If I had known when I bought the tank with the rock I probably wouldn't have added that rock. Maybe I just replace the rock. I'll wait and see what others say first.

Danreef

That isn't a pulsating Xenia. It is more aggressive in growth than the pulsating. I have both.

I just get ride a couple of week of the one you have.

It has a base that detach easy from the rock. Stop all your pumps and with a knife or whatever and the help of a forceps try to detach it from the rock. Use the knife for the base. Pull gently to avoid braking it in pieces and spread in the tank. Don't be afraid of the juicy type gelly secretion that they will produce when you apply the forceps. JUST PULL IT :) .

Then the small pieces left on the rock can be covered with reef putty.

BUT..... If you can change the rock without doing a disaster....that will be easier.

Cheers :)
Daniel

Kman237

That isn't a pulsating Xenia. It is more aggressive in growth than the pulsating. I have both.

I just get ride a couple of week of the one you have.

It has a base that detach easy from the rock. Stop all your pumps and with a knife or whatever and the help of a forceps try to detach it from the rock. Use the knife for the base. Pull gently to avoid braking it in pieces and spread in the tank. Don't be afraid of the juicy type gelly secretion that they will produce when you apply the forceps. JUST PULL IT :) .

Then the small pieces left on the rock can be covered with reef putty.

BUT..... If you can change the rock without doing a disaster....that will be easier.

Cheers :)
Daniel

Genius!!!! thanks so much Daniel. Never thought about the putty trick and i have some just sitting around. I going to attempt to remove the coral as replacing the rock would require me to redo the top half of my aquascape. If any of it breaks apart I'm assuming i should make sure to take it out? I don't want this stuff to spread to another rock. I'm going to make some water and do a water change this weekend. I will attempt to remove it all and then carry on with the water change. If any coral gets loose i will suck it out during the water change. Wish my luck and again thanks for the advice!