Josh's 40g breeder

jkef2010

Can anyone tell me what is going to happen with this shrimp. What I am suppose to do while its in there. What do I look for to be able to tell the cycle is started or has spiked? Increased ammonia? 6 weeks I let this go on for?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Can anyone tell me what is going to happen with this shrimp. What I am suppose to do while its in there. What do I look for to be able to tell the cycle is started or has spiked? Increased ammonia? 6 weeks I let this go on for?

Your GOOD bacteria is developing & growing in your tank during it's "cycle" time. Your good bacteria needs to be able to handle the bio-load that you will start having when you add fish. The shrimp in your tank is going to rot (same way a dead fish would) and cause ammonia & nitrites (very harmful to fish & corals-livestock) Your good bacteria needs to grow enough (and it will!) to change the ammonia & nitrites to NITRATES. As your cycle progresses you should see a spike in Ammonia, followed by a spike in Nitrites, then they will zero out as they become NITRATES. When your NITRATES start to get high, it's a good sign that your cycle is completing. When your ammonia and nitrites stay at ZERO & you NITRATES are UP, You can do a water change to reduce the nitrates & Your tank will be ready for your 1st fish (only 1 fish unless you add a pair of fish like clowns) ADD FISH SLOW so that you do not cause ammonia & nitrites. Your good bacteria will continue to build as you add fish at a very slow rate.
Can't say it enough, GO SLOW & do not over load your system in the beginning.

jkef2010

Okay, Guys since the shrimp was entered into the tank this is all the new things I've found out.

1) I have baby shrimp lol
2) my Parameters are all out of wack!

PH. 8.0
Ammonia- 0.50ppm
Nitrite- 0.25ppm
Ntrate- 10ppm

Is this all normal? Am I doing it right?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
These numbers look right to me... for a cycling new tank :dance:

Hopefully your baby shrimp are these.... pods which are good

Melevsreef.com - Amphipod

amphipod_tb.jpg

You want as many of those as you can get. They are great for your tank. I wouldn't test your water every day. It will only piss you off. Test it every few days during the cycle. You probably won't see much change. Once your ammonia goes to 0 your nitrites will shoot up. Give it a few days and test again. Still high then wait a few days and test again. They will start cutting in half daily at some point. I had to quit testing every day because my wife was getting mad that the levels weren't changing.

Matt

jkef2010

Okay, I will test every two, three day's because iy was starting to piss me lol So I will wait a few days, Thanks you guys.

theplantman

Be patient Josh, your numbers are doing exactly what they are supposed to. Once your bacteria population catches up with the ammonia, you will see it start to fall and pretty quickly. When ammonia and nitrite hit zero its water change time and cleanup crew time.

jkef2010

Well I woke up this morning to find my dear hermit crab could not survive the spike :eek: I'm very sad to see him go because that little dude lived for 2 hours in the LR covered in went paper towels so kinda convinced myself he would make it through this. but I will post a picture of the tank once I get my camera charged.

Don't be worried. It's normal. A hermit crab is not going to survive the cycle in most cases. It happens. It sucks but you will be starting over in a few weeks.

Matt

jkef2010

Yea I just really liked that crab. lol.. I will get more tho its sad that i'm kinda excited that it died just lets me know that the tank is cycling correctly.

I wouldn't get coral right away. See what the tank reacts like with some fish in there. Their poop will throw parameters off ideal levels for coral so making sure you can control it quite well with whatever filtration you are going to implement or add-on is a good way to take control. Start with a couple small fish to start the bio process. example-two clowns, then add a gramma later, then add a wrasse, and so on. Make sure you can control your parameters through filtration and that what you have is sufficient enough. Corals will never do well if you don't start there. You can to the right place. Good luck.

jkef2010

Well a few people told me to add a deli shrimp in the tank and let it rot to kick start to bio filter. So that is what I did. The hermit crab was just a hitchhiker. So I don't wanna add no fish yet until the parameters are under control and the bio filter is up to far with the correct biological component's.

jkef2010

New pics of the tank. Looks so colorless in comparison to others lol

Was told this was a Black Margarita Snail.

Just a pic of the rockscape since I've changed it. The tank itself is kinda dirty until the CUC is entered in. That and the rotting shrimp in the net lol

jkef2010

I believe i'm getting a little addicted to this SW hobby. ( I can't seem to stay off of RS, reading other's threads). The best of all I think i'm starting to understand a lot more then what I have in the past weeks reading a book. I can not stress enough how much I appreciate EVERYONEs help and advice.

jkef2010

Well took a water reading a few minutes ago and they are as follows.

Ph- 8.0
Ammonia- 0.50 ( No Change)
Nitrites- 1.0ppm ( up from 0.50)
Nitrates- 15 ppm ( up from 5.0)

Last test was 2 days ago.

Also plan on adding about 10-13 more pounds of LR next week. Since I know what i'm looking for in LR now and not just blindly grabbing. I'm replacing the big flat purple rock on the left hand side since I have no idea how to incorporate it into the rockscape.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Your tank is progressing through the cycle (that's GOOD!) You might want to keep the big flat rock long enough to see what you come up with. I didn't find rock scaping to be very much FUN :banghead: it was more frustrating than fun. But when you get done & sit back to admire your work, it will make it seem less of a pain. Good luck rock hunting :D keep testing. (Gives you interesting things to do while WE WAIT) :)