Josh's 40g breeder

theplantman

I thought I saw an earlier post with your ammonia on the rise at .15

did you add anything to help start your cycle like an uncooked deli shrimp?

was your live rock dry rock, cured live rock or uncured live rock? Tank has only been up for about a week right?

jkef2010

Yes, The tank has only had water in it since the 5th. I bought half cured dry rock and half uncured dry rock. The past 4-5 days that ammonia levels have been at 0 along with the rest of the lvls. No, I didn't do the uncooked shrimp because when I did put the water in I never seen or read about the uncooked shrimp. I just read about that last night and wish I would have done that to boost the cycle.

Should I go out and buy the shrimp and Add it? If so what do you recommend?

yankieman

Sounds like your off to a good start just rem its going to take time , it maybe a few months before you will be able to enjoy some of the fish or corals on your list,, and also do the research on each fish and coral to make sure everything is compatible before buying,, for instance the firefish you want are jumpers so beware you may need a top on your tank for them,, good luck on this wonderful hobby ,,,,,

jkef2010

Thank you. I don't know much about corals so it is going to be a VERY long time before putting any in the tank. I wanna make sure I read up on everything and have all my facts and info down before buying anything. I've read how a lot of the livestock is wild caught. So I wanna make sure I read and know everything wile attempting to perfect it all. I don't wanna take something that has 100% survivability chance from the ocean or the store and put it in my tank and it die because I don't have the info on it. So I wanna make sure I know everything there is.

You need to put a deli shrimp or something in to start the cycle. I wouldn't put anything in until you know your cycle is complete. You may have had a mini cycle. Do it right and put something in to decay or you may have problems when you start adding livestock.

jkef2010

okay so had something in to decay got it. few questions.
1) How many do I put in?
2) How long do I leave it in for?
3) Any advice I should follow from here on out?

This is were im going to freak out and start having panic attacks lol

Does it need to be shrimp. I have raw tilapia fish would that work? or just go with the shrimp.

theplantman

Just go.with a single medium uncooked deli shrimp and you will be good. Give it about 2-3 days and test your ammonia. It should be on the rise.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
sidebar - if you every want your tank thread name changed from New tank just let me know and I would be happy to make that change for you... :) maybe to like... jkef 29g biocube or whatever... you like :dance:

If anyone else wants a thread name change too, just PM me or any Mod
009.gif

jkef2010

Thank you so much.

Okay I bought the shrimp do I just drop it in shell and all or should I put it in something?

Just throw it it in. You don't have to put it in anything. The last time we cycled I just threw a couple of mysis cubes in. Worked just fine for me.

Matt

jkef2010

Okay cool Thank you.

Now a very important question.

This means a lot I have had this blue leg hermit crab since I've started the tank I love this little dude. Now that this is going to cycle can I take him and put him in a little 1 gallon tank just until the cycle complete I really don't wanna loose him. This tank was just ment for a betta that's all it had in it. Can I or can I not do this.:fishy:

jkef2010

One other thing. I will be posting a picture of the tank. In a few moments since the rock scape has been changed and some more sand added.

I don't know with this tank do I need powerheads or circulations pumps I don't know if there is a difference or not but how many do you suggest along with how many gph should I go?

theplantman

One power head at 400-500gl per hour would do well. Something like a tunze nano or small koralliawould work well.