Josh's 40g breeder

jkef2010

I know this cycle is becoming more and more frustrating as time goes by lol just cant wait to add a clean up crew I already have the money put aside for them and already have them picked out lol gotta do some window shopping while I wait haha :laugh:

jkef2010

Well I just got home and decided to do a water test on the tank. Also, The Deli shrimp that is in the tank, Is Getting FUZZY:ponder2:

1) Is that normal?
2) When should I take the shrimp out of the tank?

The water levels are as follows, Please let me know what you think.

High Range PH- 8.0
Ammonia- About .15ppm ( its down a lot also its in-between 0ppm and 0.25 ppm)
Nitrites- I would say 2.0ppm ( up a lot)
Nitrates- ugh this one is 20ppm up A LOT

I have no idea whats going on with them but the other day they were rising together at the same rate now there all over the place..HELP :sinking:

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Yes the "fuzziness" is normal and you can either choose to leave it in there or throw it away. I left mine till it disappeared :)

All normal. Your nitrites may not change for several days. Our tank took at least a week for the nitrites to come down to 0 after the ammonia finally reached 0. Don't worry about your nitrates right now. All you really need to test is ammonia and nitrite right now.

It's all about patience. Don't test every day or you'll get frustrated. It took our 650 almost a month to cycle before we put anything in. We set up the tank the 24th of November and transferred out 130d livestock the week of the dec 21. So it takes about a month. Sometimes less. Sometimes longer. Patience grasshopper. He who rushes cycle, regret later.

Matt

jkef2010

Thank you very much for the information Matt,

I've been testing every 2-3 days. I'm going to take the water today and have everything tested at a LFS. I want to pick up an addition LR piece or two to put in the tank ( hopefully I get a neat hitchhiker :) But I will post the results here so everyone can see. The only livestock I have in the tank now its a snail and hermit that have been doing surprisingly well. I thought the hermit was dead :( but to my surprise he was not.

jkef2010

How do you guys feel about the coralife biocube skimmer at the moment I can't afford the tunze skimmer so I wanted thoughts on the coralife one. Is it better to have one rather then not or is it not even worth the $$

Post post post lol

jkef2010

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some updated pics, got some new LR along with some real neat hitchhikers. Got a sea star n a few corals on a rock though not big enough to get a pic. as well a little crab cant get a pic way too small but he is all white. Here are some pictures. Please tell me what you think.

Some Coral.... it has little tentacles that come out of it not sure what it is though.

The best I could get of the crab.

what can be seen of the brittle sea star ( he was a hitchhiker.. scared the hell out of me when he fell into my palm off the rock)

The new tank with day and night lights on

So left me know what you all think, I thinks its coming along fairly well for the 1st tank.
Hope my star lives im soo happy he came along....

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Looks like you got sun corals attached to the live rocks in the first photo.

jkef2010

Are those good? are they harder and do you know where I could get information on that at so I can try to get it to survive?

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
They're very nice corals but you'll need to feed them frequently to ensure their well being. Having said that, the ones on your liverocks looks to be in a very bad shape. You might be able to save 1 or 2 polyps though..good luck :)

jkef2010

Do you have any tips on feeding or on care I wanna try to make them thrive. So any info you can give me would be really appreciated.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Feed each polyp small pieces of meaty stuff (eg prawn, fish, clam etc) daily if possible.

jkef2010

Going to post a closer up pic of the coral also noticed a little feather duster on the rock too I think I get more excited on whats on the rocks then I will buying fish lol ... Enjoy

Baby feather duster....

Upclose to the coral. Did'nt notice earlier it has tentacles. You can see them in the next two pics really small tho
Left side of coral

Right side of coral

Please if you have any idea how to care for this coral please tell me so it don't die i'm very excited to have it and would love for it to grow up really nice a pretty.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats on the AWESOME LR! The coral looks like a colony of Zoanthids (zoas) to me. I had some as my 1st hitchhikers. I only had 4 polyps and they survived my cycle. They are doing fantastic & have grown now to 10 polyps. I don't spot feed the zoas. I do spot feed my Acans & some other corals. My zoas always seemed to do good without trying to feed each one, they are pretty numerous & tiny so if you do spot feed them, be careful with the amount. Over feeding will cause tank problems (algae included).
Your tank looks GREAT...Your patience is paying off Grasshopper! I'm very excited for you & I'm loving following your thread. :D
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

jkef2010

Well I counted the live polyps on the coral the ones that showed the tentacles' and there are 18 in total. So excited and then I relized my LR aint LR a piece of the live rock is either A) a Clam or B) an Oyster I seen it open then close when I went to spot feed the coral and thought I was going insane so waiting another hour or so an acted as if I was spot feeding and it did it again its soo cool I may post a video of the mysterious creature in a few minutes to see if anyone can ID him.

On the other hand I think my cycle is comeing to an end. I tested the water today.
My PH is dropping I don't know how to raise that up any or if a water changed when all done will help( soo any advice would be geat)
My ammonia and Nitrites are about at 0.25 down A lot from 4 days ago and the nitrates are on the rise. So I think about another week in a half I will be complete of my cycle the deli shrimp is just about gone.

I don't think my star is going to survive much longer :tears: He hasn't been very active since he was introduced into the tank. I think it may be because he was not acclimated correctly because I didn't know he was in the rock So

Oh And Diana K I got your package You rock.... Thank you very much I will have a pic for you in a little to show you how the little pot made its way into the tank as well when I put the first clown pair in I will have a pic for you when they are hosting it.

Thank you all for following my first thread I have a feeling there is going to be much much more fun to come ( with new tanks) In the near future lol

jkef2010

Unknown guest in tank ( click the picture to see the video)

Diana K your picture

Close up to the corals Still unknown on what it exactly is.