Jeff's RSM 400

Sapphire

Nice rock work! The S series looks great - just hope they come to NZ..... I was going to set up a bigger tank but now seriously thinking about the S series if they ever come here. Can't wait to follow your thread :)

jeffrey

Nice rock work! The S series looks great - just hope they come to NZ..... I was going to set up a bigger tank but now seriously thinking about the S series if they ever come here. Can't wait to follow your thread :)
Thanks Sapphire! Sorry to hear that the S series is not in your area, the wife and I are loving it!

jeffrey

Greetings Reefers,

Is it possible that my tank has cycled in three weeks? I started with live Fugi sand, cured Florida Coral Rock (Not Live), and made my own RO water from the beginning. I just checked out the the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels and all are at zero. I had a moment when the Coral Rock had brown alqae on it but it only lasted for about a week a few days later the brown algae disapeared and today I have just a few spots of bright green algae. I have only been using Red Sea's "Marine Care Test Kit" to check the water and haven't had the LFS check it for me. The water at points in the past three weeks has been cloudy, since yesterday it has been crystal clear.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Are you seeing any ammonia now or nitrites? If in doubt toss in another deli shrimp & mush him up good, they watch/test for a another week... is how I would proceed...

Then if you don't see any ammonia, start water changes, to get the nitrates down, then cuc, 1st coral, 1st fish (or a pair) then I would wait a month, before next fish, but you could them add like a coral a week... is one way & how I would proceed... hope this helps, see what others think

jeffrey

Are you seeing any ammonia now or nitrites? If in doubt toss in another deli shrimp & mush him up good, they watch/test for a another week... is how I would proceed...

Then if you don't see any ammonia, start water changes, to get the nitrates down, then cuc, 1st coral, 1st fish (or a pair) then I would wait a month, before next fish, but you could them add like a coral a week... is one way & how I would proceed... hope this helps, see what others think

Thanks Glen I will try another shrimp this weekend. Are you saying if the tank has already cycled the new shrimp won't cause an ammonia spike but will only effect the nitrates levels?

steved13

PREMIUM
Exactly. If your bacteria population is sufficient, it will convert the ammonia to nitrite and then the nitrite to nitrate, pretty quickly. That's the way I did it also.

jeffrey

Thanks Glen I will try another shrimp this weekend. Are you saying if the tank has already cycled the new shrimp won't cause an ammonia spike but will only effect the nitrates levels?

Haven't added the additional shrimp yet but just tested the nitrate level with Red Sea Algae Control, Nitrate Pro Test Kit and the level is at 1.0.

bpapo

Thanks Jeff I was looking at the 500. The problem right now is cash but hopefully it will happen shortly .

mikezanga

Great post and great looking tank/scape....i just ordered mine, the 500....can't wait to get this up and running....great post and thread Jeff, thanks so much for sharing....
Mike

jpsika08

You can introduce pure ammonia and see how your tank handles it in a 24 hour period, both ammonia and nitrites should be at zero in this period, if it happens like this, your tank is cycled as it has enough beneficial bacteria and biofilter is acting up.

jeffrey

You can introduce pure ammonia and see how your tank handles it in a 24 hour period, both ammonia and nitrites should be at zero in this period, if it happens like this, your tank is cycled as it has enough beneficial bacteria and biofilter is acting up.
Thanks for the idea, I added another Deli Shrimp on Saturday and it spiked the ammonia when I checked it on Sunday.