Jeff's RSM 400

jeffrey

What type of sand do you have?

I have a mix of finer sand and crushed coral. The lighter/smaller pieces did blow around when I first got my 250. I had to play with directions of flow pumps to get minimal dust cloud. My next substrate will be that CaribSea Special Reef Grade that won't have small pieces that will blow around.
It is not the finer sand that they sell but it is a sand, I'm wondering if this will cease as the tank cycles. I'll look into the Special Reef Grade if the problem continues, an amazing current in the tank.
Thank you.

Sy101

Hi Jeff

How's the tank coming along?
I'm really tempted by the new s series's and was looking at a 650 my lfs has on display today and a couple of things worry me, 1st masses & masses of micro-bubbles and 2nd the "water fall" noise in the sump.
Just wondered if had had any issues or it's just the idiots at the lfs who can't maintain the right conditions?

Choff

My LFS has a 500 set up and no micro bubbles and was pretty quiet. FYI rumor has it 650's are at least 6 to 8 weeks out right now.

jeffrey

Hi Jeff

How's the tank coming along?
I'm really tempted by the new s series's and was looking at a 650 my lfs has on display today and a couple of things worry me, 1st masses & masses of micro-bubbles and 2nd the "water fall" noise in the sump.
Just wondered if had had any issues or it's just the idiots at the lfs who can't maintain the right conditions?
Everything is going as planned, the water is starting its cycle and i continue to learn a little more each day.
I would say that your LFS needs to adjust the water flow valve at the back of the tank, you should never here any water falling.
If they have micro bubbles they are most likely coming from the protein skimmer, it needs two to three weeks of run time to slim up.
My tank with the doors shut is quiet and the tank is sitting on a tile floor.
The inside stuff, sump, skimmer is going to make some low noise but everything can be controled.

I say GO BUY IT!!!

jeffrey

My LFS has a 500 set up and no micro bubbles and was pretty quiet. FYI rumor has it 650's are at least 6 to 8 weeks out right now.
One of the LFS here told me that is would take about that time, I went through Fish Tanks Direct.com and it was delivered to my front door in three weeks.

jeffrey

Its been just around two weeks now and I'm just starting to see the some Ammonia start to build and some Algae has started growing on the Florida Coral Rock. A week ago I put a large Deli Shrimp in the tank that has since been doing a great job breaking down into waste.
IMG_9978.jpg
I have read on this forum of all the lighting changes being done on the 130 and 250, I think RSM has done it right with the S series!
So far so good, everything is working as it is intended to work. The water top off is taking in about 3 gallon a week with all lights
on 10 hours a day.

Lovin It!

Last edited:

jeffrey

Looking great Jeff & sounds like your cycle is progressing nicely
Yep looking good Glen, thanks for all your support and for all the posts that you have on this forum! Years ago when I was in this hobby this kind of open information didn't exist.
Today I added some crushed coral to the tank that has stopped the constant flow of sand in the tank. The flow of the 400 S in extreme but the addition of the crushed coral to the Fugi sand has stopped the movement. Again, everything is looking good and I'm 100% happy with the tank!

modulok

Is your floor 18" tile? Did you put anything between the floor and the 400 stand? It seems the contact points are hard rubber feet, maybe an inch in diameter? I'm just curious what you did there, I have 18" tile in my new S500 area.

jeffrey

Is your floor 18" tile? Did you put anything between the floor and the 400 stand? It seems the contact points are hard rubber feet, maybe an inch in diameter? I'm just curious what you did there, I have 18" tile in my new S500 area.
Yup! because I have tile in the entire house I placed a few sheets of polyethylene foam at the bottom of the stand before I placed the bottom of the stand. I have also added polyethylene foam inside of the cabinet to lower the level of noise to almost zero.

...and yes, these tiles are 18 inch.

Lamia2super

I'm in love with your tank! Mind uploading a video ? I'm curiously to see if their is truly no noise and the overview of your tank

jeffrey

I'm in love with your tank! Mind uploading a video ? I'm curiously to see if their is truly no noise and the overview of your tank

Once I figure out the video feature and how to work and edit my camera I will do that for you.
As stated in the past post, I have placed polyethylene foam on the inside of the stand.
Our master bedroom is on the opposite wall from the tank. The first week we had the tank up and running I thought
I had made a mistake and the wife was upset because of the noise from the tank. It was a dull hum but yes, it was
more than we had wished for. First thing, the water flow valve is very sensitive but once you have it right you never hear
water flowing. Second, the polyethylene foam is a must! The foam has eliminated the dull hum by 75 %.
Again our home is 100 % tile so the noise in the home reflects, with carpet in the room of the tank the foam might not have been needed.
I hope this helps!

Lamia2super

Once I figure out the video feature and how to work and edit my camera I will do that for you.
As stated in the past post, I have placed polyethylene foam on the inside of the stand.
Our master bedroom is on the opposite wall from the tank. The first week we had the tank up and running I thought
I had made a mistake and the wife was upset because of the noise from the tank. It was a dull hum but yes, it was
more than we had wished for. First thing, the water flow valve is very sensitive but once you have it right you never hear
water flowing. Second, the polyethylene foam is a must! The foam has eliminated the dull hum by 75 %.
Again our home is 100 % tile so the noise in the home reflects, with carpet in the room of the tank the foam might not have been needed.
I hope this helps!

That does help because my room is similar. If it makes to much noise I won't be able to sleep

jeffrey

Getting back to your question a while back, the lights are over powering when watching TV if you have all of the them on. At six every night the daytime lights go out and the blue night lights comes on and this is also when I turn off the protein skimmer.

Lamia2super

Getting back to your question a while back, the lights are over powering when watching TV if you have all of the them on. At six every night the daytime lights go out and the blue night lights comes on and this is also when I turn off the protein skimmer.

The lights shine in your eyes huh. I had that problem with my little biocube hqi and I just threw a small towel over the light so that it wouldn't shine in my eyes so much. At the moment I'm leaning towards the rsm250 because of the closedhood, size, and price, but I'm in love with your s400. I won't really know what tank to get until I finishing switching rooms and I'm kinda hoping I'll have space for the s400 :D

jeffrey

The lights shine in your eyes huh. I had that problem with my little biocube hqi and I just threw a small towel over the light so that it wouldn't shine in my eyes so much. At the moment I'm leaning towards the rsm250 because of the closedhood, size, and price, but I'm in love with your s400. I won't really know what tank to get until I finishing switching rooms and I'm kinda hoping I'll have space for the s400 :D

Yup, if it doesn't fit it doesn't make sense. Good luck and have a great weekend!