imaccat's RSM 250

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: RSM 250 Max Newbie

I'd put it back on when the LR goes in. Some will say to wait & see if you get ammonia from die-off on the rock, and if so wait till the cycle is over. There are always multiple opinions on this LOL! If you add a bacterial additive (RS Nitrobac or other) then leave the skimmer off for a couple days to avoid filtering the bacteria out before it can colonize the rock.

imaccat

I'd put it back on when the LR goes in. Some will say to wait & see if you get ammonia from die-off on the rock, and if so wait till the cycle is over. There are always multiple opinions on this LOL! If you add a bacterial additive (RS Nitrobac or other) then leave the skimmer off for a couple days to avoid filtering the bacteria out before it can colonize the rock.

Thanks again, I do have some Nitrobac and have also used Live Sand, so I will turn it back on again a few days after the LR goes in with some Nitrobac.

Iain

imaccat

Some piccies

4439908875_c4ef481309.jpg

1 lonely LR

4440687690_965f1f814e.jpg

Managed to squeeze the Tunze Osmolator in - just!!

4440689254_32d79ab542.jpg

Great piece of Reef plate from Live Rock UK

Dweezil

Very pretty! That is a very nice flat piece of live rock. Look forward to watching your tank progress.

imaccat

tnwillia, I found that tank only yesterday, it is probably my favourite as well. With the reef plates that I have I am going to try and do something similar, if it's half as good as the bonsai then I will be happy

tnwillia

Good luck, my next tank will be Bonsi but that's a few years down the road. Have Fun!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick

Awesome looking rock my friend. It sounds like the possibilities are endless. As Eddie said, try to have some good hidey holes for the fish where they can go if stressed. How easy was it to fit the osmolator? I'm thinking of getting one but not sure how to fit it.

imaccat

Awesome looking rock my friend. It sounds like the possibilities are endless. As Eddie said, try to have some good hidey holes for the fish where they can go if stressed. How easy was it to fit the osmolator? I'm thinking of getting one but not sure how to fit it.

Lethal,

Yes I want to build a structure that has that type of overhang from a more robust base than that on the bonsai example which will provide the hidey holes etc.

The osmolator was a bit tricky to fit as I use the accessory plate for the connections to the chiller. The following is the back of the tank where the magnet is situated, looks precarious but the magnet is strong and the chiller pipes actually help hold it in place.

4442990280_d0c5cea15b.jpg

On the inside where the sensors are I just had to make sure the overflow float doesn't get impeded by the chiller pipes if it needs to rise.

The top up bucket is in the left cupboard and the controller in the right.

imaccat

That is a sweet set up but my concern would be where do the fish hide for safety and sleep.

I agree, I need to make sure that the fish have somewhere to go, but I love the overhang on the bonsai tank, which I will try to replicate with the reef plates

lethal

Cheers Iain. I have a chiller also and I wasn't sure if the sensors would all fit in that chamber but it has worked for you so I might give it a go. What do the magnets actually hold in place?

imaccat

Cheers Iain. I have a chiller also and I wasn't sure if the sensors would all fit in that chamber but it has worked for you so I might give it a go. What do the magnets actually hold in place?

The magnets hold the two ATO sensors.

4440687690_965f1f814e_m.jpg

In this photo the white cylinder is the Overflow float, which sets off the alarm if the water level gets too high e.g if the pump from the bucket fails and stays stuck on. This sensor is connected to one magnet (grey cylinder behind the sensor), with the other magnet on the outside of the tank - as per previous photo.
There is another sensor, which is behind the right hand eheim pipe that monitors the correct water level you want (fixed to the same magnet).

lethal

Thanks again Iain. It looks like a tight squeeze. If I get into trouble can you fly over and help me out? Should only take 24 hours :yup:

tnwillia

On the fish sleeping & hiding with the Bonsi pillars, If I remember, he only had a 1 type schooling fish group in the tank and it was dedicated to coral more than fish. I've not been thru the thread in a while. Agree on needing to give them hide holes but there is the fun of building your own. Have fun!

imaccat

1st attempt at arranging the LR

Full Tank Shot

4447984370_45f963c14c_b.jpg

Close up

4447986144_7aeb58806f_b.jpg

Side view

4447211587_3d66307305_b.jpg

Other side

4447986968_6900eb619b_b.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Great job - I really like the shelves! It's hard to tell in pictures - is there room in front of that one shelf sticking out to get a mag scraper in there?