imaccat's RSM 250

imaccat

Re: RSM 250 Max Newbie

Hi Iain, your TDS, is reading from the mains water in to your R/O do you have a TDS for your R/O water out ? your TDS after your R/O should be lowish 10 to 20 and then nil after a Di pod.

if you pm me your e-mail I can send you a tech sheet on sea water etc

hope it helps

RedSeaKev

Thanks, PM sent.

The TDS reading after the RO unit is 7ppm.

Iain

imaccat

Hi Iain,
Good luck with your new tank! The rockwork and ledges really look nice and will be great for placing coral. Take care,
--Kyle

Thanks Kyle,

I love the reef plates, although one of them is producing a 'nice' lawn of green algae at the moment, cant wait for the nitrite to reduce to zero so I can get a CUC in there to sort it out.

Iain

imaccat

So I was in my LFS today buying some Rowaphos and spotted some Purigen, I don't know too much about it, but know a lot of you guys and gals use it so I bought some. The LFS guy said I wouldn't need to use the carbon bags anymore, is this right?

Also ordered some CUC today;

Cerith Snails x 10
Turbo snails x 10
Cleaner Shrimp x 2
Mithrax (Emerald) Crab x 1

After I ordered it I began to wonder if this was too much to start off with? I can put some in my FOWLR if it is and move them over more gradually, any views?

kyley

Hey Iain, I've heard mixed opinions on number / types of snails. Some people suggest a lot of them (like 60), some very few (like 20 total in your tank)... 20-30 is probably about right - otherwise they may starve. The one thing about turbos - they get huge and knock things over. 10 turbos would also equate to a lot more of the smaller snails, so that might be overdoing it with turbos IMO... I only have a couple in my tank and a number of others. I'd advocate for getting different types of snails - just so you have a nice variety and also because some will be better at eating certain types of algae than others. Cerith, Nerite, Astraea, and Trochus are all great. Plus Nassarius for churning the sand bed and eating detritus and leftover fish food. I haven't lost a Cerith or Nerite snail yet. Astraea can't right themselves when they fall over, so you may lose some of them, but to my surprise I think I've only lost one of them so far. Trochus are similar to Astraea, but they can right themselves if they fall upside down. Surprisingly though, I've lost a few Trochus snails in my tank. One died on its own (I think) and was dinner for a Nassarius. Another was being eaten by a scarlet reef hermit (first time I had a problem with one - maybe not enough food in the tank). I'd suggest avoiding Margarita snails though. The temps in our reef tanks are too hot for them and they usually won't survive. BTW, I'm no expert here, but I read a lot about them before making my choices. Just passing on that info. Take care,
--Kyle

imaccat

:bump:

So I was in my LFS today buying some Rowaphos and spotted some Purigen, I don't know too much about it, but know a lot of you guys and gals use it so I bought some. The LFS guy said I wouldn't need to use the carbon bags anymore, is this right?

Thanks Kyle

kyley

Just a note - Terry and Eddie would probably suggest using CPE (Chemi-Pure Elite) or SeaChem SeaGel instead of regular carbon like Red Sea's. Right guys? Use one of those and I don't know that the Rowaphos is needed?

I'm currently running CPE, but may switch to SeaGel when I run out of CPE. I have Purigen to run in there also - just haven't added it to the tank yet. Take care,
--Kyle

redsea reefer

Just a note - Terry and Eddie would probably suggest using CPE (Chemi-Pure Elite) or SeaChem SeaGel instead of regular carbon like Red Sea's. Right guys? Use one of those and I don't know that the Rowaphos is needed?

I'm currently running CPE, but may switch to SeaGel when I run out of CPE. I have Purigen to run in there also - just haven't added it to the tank yet. Take care,
--Kyle

Correct Kyle, I would recommend the SeaGel over CP-E now. You can use the Rowaphose for extra Phosphate removal but like you said, its not needed if using either SeaGel or CP-E.

imaccat

Thanks again, Seagel seems to be easier to get over here than the CPE, but will wait until I have used up the rowaphos

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

I plan on running the SeaGel mixture plus Purigen. I think you have all the bases covered with those.

imaccat

Well I added the purigen, in 'a fine mesh bag', obviously not fine enough as I now have purigen balls swimming around the tank :cursin:

Hopefully the fine filter will sort it out soon :smack:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Yep - Purigen needs a really fine mesh bag. I doubt it'll hurt anything - just end up as organic absorbing substrate.

imaccat

At the weekend I transfered my Maroon Clown and Green Chromis to the RSM and today :fingerx: my CUC should be arriving from Coventry Critters. Both fish seem ok, although I think they need sunglasses, :cool: LOL, as the RSM lights are so much stronger than I had in the FOWLR. They are both eating, but hiding in the rock work much of the time so little chance to take any photos.

Bobi1956

On the floating around purigel I'd keep a close eye on the pump impellers - not sure which is stronger - the impellers or the purigel balls

fruit bat

Hi Iain,
If you wanted to get some Boyds Chemi-Pure Elite have a look on E-Bay, I got some recently
Chris

imaccat