imaccat's RSM 250

Nowellsy SNR

Re: RSM 250 Max Newbie

Hi i have around 34kg of liverock and it stacks all the way up the back wall, i would say if you want a more open look i would go for around 25kg

Use liverockUK you wont be dissapointed awsome looking stuff and its fully cured i added 10kg's to my established tank and did'nt get a mini cycle, and the customer service is great!

Any questions i'll be happy to try and help im still pretty new to the hobby myself

imaccat

Thanks for the info and advice. I have about 15kg in my FOWLR, which will get transfered at some point.

The look I want is to fairly well stacked at the back with a protrusion coming forward on the right (looking like a reversed capital L from above) and maybe a small tower structure front left. So I may go for another 15kg of Fiji, I also like the look of the Reef plates and the Blue Stone on Live Rock UK (another 5-10kg or so), but they are out of stock of both. Anybody recommend where else I could get those, particularly Reef Plates?

Anthony - did you get get the mixed size pack or the nano pack from Live Rock UK?

Is this the right sequence as I am transferring from one tank to another?

Cycle RSM with new cured live rock (20kg)
Add CUC
Transfer LR (another 15kg) and fish from FOWLR
Add corals
Add fish

Iain

Max250

Hi imaccat. Are you really going to put the tank in your conservatory? I take it it's not south facing?

Max250

I see. Mine too. So freezing in the winter and boiling in the summer :) I've never seen a reef tank in a conservatory. I'd expect your chiller to be on most of the summer. I hope you have the new Sicce skimmer pump as that runs cooler than the Hydor one.

imaccat

:eek:lsmile: Delivery man just turned up with my new 250!! I'm supposed to be going out tonight to the pub, but might feign illness, so I can play with my new toy :square:

imaccat

Pockets are getting shallower every time I spend any time on the web, always seem to be ordering something, which is strange seeing as it is a 'plug and play' aquarium :smack:

imaccat

Thanks for all the encouragement, I've seen it written a few times and I have to agree that this is the most welcoming and friendly forums. :snshne:

I feel a deluge of stupid questions coming up in the next few weeks and here is the first.

In my FOWLR I just sit the live rock on the coral sand, no fixing, no nothin, but no great structure with any height either so this has worked.

In the Max I want to build more of a structure to the LR, so I feel it needs more of a foundation, what should I sit the LR on? Is putting it on the substrate enough or the fact that I will be glueing them together with putty be enough or should I be doing something else?

All advice gratefully received

Iain

reefhusker

No stuipid questions here. If there are i've already asked them. I'm a newB too but what some do is drill their rock and either put a vinyl dowel or a 1" PVC into it to hold it together. I just built mine and made sure it was really sturdy and its working great so far. As for the sand I put about 4" b/c i wanted a jawfish and then I wiggled my rocks that had really large bases about 2-3 inches deep.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

I think the key, no matter what structure you end up with, is to gently wiggle the rocks in the substrate till they are firmly seated on the bottom of the tank. If not they'll settle later and possibly cause a rock slide. (or add the substrate after the rock, which I don't think most of us do)

imaccat

Thanks all, LR ordered from Live Rock UK, should be here tomorrow. Tank is full, live sand added (still murky though), chiller all plumbed in and working. Trying to get to grips with the skimmer (never had one before, so trying to work out how it works and what to do to adjust it).

Is the PVC used to hold LR together, just normal plumbing pipe or something specific to aquariums?

Iain

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Hi Iain - sounds good. With not much in the tank and no bio-load yet, you may not get much action from the skimmer, plus the skimmer has a break-in period during which it removes manufacturing oils, etc. that are counter-productive to skimming. Probably no reason to run the skimmer now as you have little, if anything at all, to provide a stable foam to skim into the cup.

Small diameter PVC is OK, some use fiberglass or nylon rods, and some (like me) just try to place the rock in a stable manner so it can't topple over later.

imaccat

Hi Iain - sounds good. With not much in the tank and no bio-load yet, you may not get much action from the skimmer, plus the skimmer has a break-in period during which it removes manufacturing oils, etc. that are counter-productive to skimming. Probably no reason to run the skimmer now as you have little, if anything at all, to provide a stable foam to skim into the cup.

Small diameter PVC is OK, some use fiberglass or nylon rods, and some (like me) just try to place the rock in a stable manner so it can't topple over later.

Thanks Terry, skimmer is off now. I assume it goes back on when the LR is in place?