I think we are back!!!

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
It has been a long time since I have posted but wanted to give some quick updates!

Due to work done in our buildings over the summer, we had to break the tank down.

I am teaching an environmental science class this year and they are interested in getting the tank up and running again! This may be a project too with a new club we started on campus. I do need to replace a pump first (see an earlier thread called help).

I plan on getting students signed up to post in here as well.

I will keep you all posted and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers! :rougiem:

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
That's awesome, I'm glad to see your back in action and was wondering what had happened to the tank since my return to the hobby :D

Don't be shy to ask if you need any equipment or supplies once you get ready to setup, I always have stuff lying around I wouldn't have a problem making a donation to support the cause :D

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Awsome! Thanks Eric!

We are really going to have to start from scratch when we come to adding animals as we do not have any saltwater stores in my area anymore. :-(

Cheers!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Back !

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
I am working on getting a pump ordered. Once that is done, we can start on it. We have done a major cleaning and done some of the set up. I will try and post some pics!

Cheers!

eileen

Rougiem, I teach high school marine science. Maybe we could work out some type of communication/project between my students and yours? I have 11th & 12th graders - regular marine and honors marine.

Midnight

school tanks are great. I love that schools are willing to let teachers put tanks in there classrooms for the kids to enjoy and learn from.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Rougiem, I teach high school marine science. Maybe we could work out some type of communication/project between my students and yours? I have 11th & 12th graders - regular marine and honors marine.

Eileen: Terrific idea! Please post here and we can discuss some details. :cool:

eileen

Where is your school located and what grade level(s) do you have? We raised some of my clownfish fry in the classroom last year, but my female jumped out of the tank in Dec., so I'm not sure what we're going to do now. I've been looking for a breeding pair. Right now we have 2 pairs of Darwins that I've had since last Jan., but no eggs yet. I also have a pair of maroons in the 75 gallon tank, but no eggs. They share it with some cardinals and a royal gramma. Then we have a big 210 with cichlids that I'd prefer to turn into a saltwater tank, but it would cost too much in ongoing salt costs! Does your school give you money to maintain your tanks?

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
I am located in Reno NV. I have 9 to 12 as far as grade levels. We do get some money to run the tank from a grant I wrote.

soco

Congrats guys!!! That is awesome. I wish I could have had marine science classes with a sw tank in it when I was in school. You teachers are an inspiration to young and old people alike for getting such you students involved in such an amazing thing.

ChrisY

Any news on this thread? This one seemed to have stoped before I joined, but I am 1000% in agreement with making this part of the curriculum of schools. I am watching my kids go thru school and they go to very good schools but I see some parts of biology, chemistry and physics that could be better and I cant think of a better way to join them all than through marine life. The physics part might be a bit off but it really isnt when it comes down to it at a process level. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. (and remind myself to call my sister who is a teacher to try and include these types of things in her lesson plan)

Totally anecdoatally, I was surfing the Intertubes the other day and ran across this, which I have seen before, but it caught my eye again. Ferro Fluid, which it totally off topic for Reefkeeping but nonetheless a cool topic for engaging young minds into the how and why of life around us. "Why does it do that? What makes that happen? Can I make it do something different?" sort of questions. I was blessed with a couple teachers that made us want to learn the answers to these questions, since then its been Sherlock Holmes :) And I am thankful!

Last edited: