Earthquake!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
For those used to quakes it may not be much. Just felt the earthquake here in Charlotte at 1:53pm. I wasn't sure if that was really it till I turned CNN on a couple minutes later. First one I've felt and it was very scary for about 20 - 30 seconds. 5.9 centered near Mineral, VA. and felt in many east coast states. A friend of the wife felt it all the way up in Ontario, Canada.

Hurricane on it's way to NC, and now a quake. What next!

jpsika08

Sorry to hear that Terry, here we have been having lots of 4+ Earthquakes as always due to weather change, the colder it gets the more quakes as plates need to accommodate.

You never have quakes there?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Juan. We have small quake here, but too small to feel. This was my first that was quite noticeable. I have a weather radar site that I use a lot, and it has an icon that shows the earthquakes around the world, and I see frequent ones in and around guatemala.

jpsika08

Yes, this is a trembling zone, has been always like that, the last major earthquake we had was back in '76 it was almost 7.8, I was born two days after that LOL.

I assume the weather condition changing so fast from hot to cold makes the plates move like that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
*stomping my foot* I missed it dang it! I don't know why I didn't hear/feel it but my wife did just across town. Uggggg

Macron

Thats crazy I've never heard of one in NC until this thread. I've been on the coast so I guess we don't feel them here. Hurricane party is still on though.

Haaileybop

I live in New York City and more specifically I work on the 28th floor of a building directly on Wall Street. The building was swing to the point chairs where falling over; people where screaming, running outside, and basically in hysterics. Pretty much all of Wall Street was evacuated for the first 10 minutes people thought it was another Sept 11th attack, my officemate was actually in one of the towers on that dreadful day.

Earthquakes are not normally in this area and when they are they are small. I am just happy no one was hurt or did anything stupid, but I wish the cell towers where operational again >.< I don't think I have used a pay phone in 15 years, but I used it today! We are all now back to the grid and the markets ended up for the close of the market.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
We had a couple around here pretty good a few years back. They were "Centered" in Hot Springs NC (which isn't far from here at all).

It was funny the first morning it woke me up and by the time I realized what it was and woke Julie up it was already over. She was like "ohhhh it's a ghost.. ohhhh" being all silly and doubting I had just felt and earthquake. We turned on the TV and that was all over the news LOL!

The next night I felt another "thump" and immediately woke her up. She got to experience about 15 seconds of shaking and rattling before it stopped. Was pretty cool to feel that but not have any damage.

I realize now why I didn't take notice to this one. It wasn't much here and my office is about 50 from the Train Tracks so I'm kind of tuned out to most rattles and rumbles anyway LOL!

I just heard that one business just a few blocks over panicked and did a full EVAC as precautionary measures. :dunno:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I live in New York City and more specifically I work on the 28th floor of a building directly on Wall Street. The building was swing to the point chairs where falling over; people where screaming, running outside, and basically in hysterics. Pretty much all of Wall Street was evacuated for the first 10 minutes people thought it was another Sept 11th attack, my officemate was actually in one of the towers on that dreadful day.

Glad you're all ok. I can only imagine what feelings and fears this brought to the surface for you all. :hug1:

I don't think I have used a pay phone in 15 years, but I used it today!
Pay Phone? We don't even have them any more. I can't tell you the last time I even saw one let alone used one. How cool!!

the markets ended up for the close of the market.
:thumber: :thumber::thumber:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Being on the 28th floor with things shaking had to be pretty scary! I saw the evacuations on CNN.

Just noticed the tank was cloudy and found my sump skimmer in the cabinet was overflowing. Of course I had been putting off emptying the cup - grrr. Cleaned the cup, and had to shut the skimmer off since it kept overflowing. I'll restart it after things settle down. All I can think of is that the vibrations from the quake knocked a lot of bacterial mulm off of the bio-pellets in my reactor.

Haaileybop

Just noticed the tank was cloudy and found my sump skimmer in the cabinet was overflowing. Of course I had been putting off emptying the cup - grrr. Cleaned the cup, and had to shut the skimmer off since it kept overflowing. I'll restart it after things settle down. All I can think of is that the vibrations from the quake knocked a lot of bacterial mulm off of the bio-pellets in my reactor.

Oh that must of been stinky!

Hnguyen

I've never felt an earthquake here on the east side of the country. Although there was one here in Atlanta a few years ago during the night and I slept through the whole thing!! :dunno:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Glenn - I saw they had a good sized quake in you old home state of Colorado yesterday, and it seems like they have a lot of small ones lately in Arkansas.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
We have had a few in Arkansas but non that I have felt, Colorado did have a pretty good one. I can't ever remember really feeling one or see it's effect where I have lived, though they say we have the New Madrid fault here & a long time ago it made the Mississippi river run backwards and one day it's going to be a big one again