Drilling a tank

zchauvin

Believe it or not the outside grey is actually stain, I just used polyurethane on inside

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good call on the poly on the inside. Wish I would have.

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

zchauvin

Good call on the poly on the inside. Wish I would have.

yeah man, especially with a sump and the way water likes to run down the side of my tank almost always it has to be waterproof. Just like the stain, its an outdoor shutter/siding stain so that I don't have to worry if water leaks down dt and get between it and the stand.

SubRosa

yeah man, especially with a sump and the way water likes to run down the side of my tank almost always it has to be waterproof. Just like the stain, its an outdoor shutter/siding stain so that I don't have to worry if water leaks down dt and get between it and the stand.
Just curious, where do you live? I have a bunch of extra tanks laying around and I was thinking of giving you one so a tank could actually get drilled for this thread!

zchauvin

Just curious, where do you live? I have a bunch of extra tanks laying around and I was thinking of giving you one so a tank could actually get drilled for this thread!

Lol I live in Louisiana and sorry it doesn't exactly jive with the title. I didn't want to risk it

SubRosa

Lol I live in Louisiana and sorry it doesn't exactly jive with the title. I didn't want to risk it

Oh well I'm in PA! Btw, I don't blame you for not drilling an ADA tank. It would be like painting cleavage on the Mona Lisa. Like cleavage, overflows are generally a good thing, but not always appropriate in every situation!

zchauvin

Well it'll still have hob overflow and yes, not a chance I wanted to take!

zchauvin

Ok? Tell ya what. I'll drill it and if it breaks you'll give me the 200 bucks to replace it right?

TylerHaworth

Do it! It's easy, and well worth it.

Plenty of us here have drilled tanks that make your $200 tank look like a 10 gallon from Petco.

Go buy a cheap 20 gallon from somewhere and practice on it if you're really worried, you'll realize about halfway through the first hole that all this fuss is over nothing =)

bmplank86

Once you think you're almost there slow down the pressure by quite a bit. Or else it'll chip out the inside. I did that twice

"No rain, no rainbow"

zchauvin

Do it! It's easy, and well worth it.

Plenty of us here have drilled tanks that make your $200 tank look like a 10 gallon from Petco.

Go buy a cheap 20 gallon from somewhere and practice on it if you're really worried, you'll realize about halfway through the first hole that all this fuss is over nothing =)

If your talking price wise, someone paid 4,000$ for a tank that was to be sw and it wasn't pre drilled?
Kinda dumb Ehh?

Quality wise, well I don't think I need to comment on that.

Really doesn't matter though, I just rather not put holes in it. It would defeat the purpose of buying a Ada tank for quality. If I would drill it then what, have a beautiful black overflow? If I ever went back to a planted tank I would stuck with it.

zchauvin

Kind wish a mod would delete thread so I wouldn't have to worry about everyone saying to drill a Damn hole.

dmatt88

Kind wish a mod would delete thread so I wouldn't have to worry about everyone saying to drill a Damn hole.

Lifereef overflow then. !

StirCrayzy

Im just messin with ya. Not tryin to give grief.
drill or not is really personal pref. Not a big deal.

Weir overflows are pretty badass if your goin up over the back.
thats what i would use instead of a box/tube.

TylerHaworth

I was referring to financial risk, not at all knocking the fabulous quality of the ADA tank.

Hey, you asked for everyone's opinion... And you're getting it...

Over the top overflows suck!