Drilling a tank

zchauvin

Stand with tank on it. Still have to wrap in formica.

6b1a7304-4cb9-6e43.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

BLADEYAMAHA

Practice on some scraps from the Hardware store.
Pretty sure its normal to get cold feet before first drilling, but so much success and how -to info has inspired me to try it.
Even if you drill, you can still use as planted with sump also. Same concept as Reef.

I agree, it is tough to choose, and heavy risk to not take lightly.

+1 That's what I did.

zchauvin

Ok got the formica ordered so now I can relax until that gets in. I decided to go with the hob overflow and ill make one larger pile of rock to hide both the return and overflow piping on the left of the tank and a small pile on the right side leaving a good bit of sand exposed. Once the formica gets in I'll start that part and finish polyurethaning the inside of the stand then add my grommets. Anyone care to share how I start a tank thread or whatever? Also, I have my 75g still sitting set up with freshwater. There's no way I can afford expensive lighting and stuff for it, so can anyone throw some numbers out there on how much it normal cost to run a FOWLR? I was thinking just some marineland leds and a protein skimmer would be my only cost. Well a r/o unit also.

StirCrayzy

Best bang for the buck is t5HOyou could get a 2 bulb fxture under $150. Marineland LEDs even for FOWLR offer poor coverage.
Right now my power consumption is about 150w daytime, plus heater when on adds 200w.

Go here to start a chronicle... Reef Chronicles

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Shop Craigslist. Used aquarium equipment people almost have to give away.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

zchauvin

Alright thanks, will start a journal and shop clist. How about the water. On 75g how much would one have to spend on salt?

zchauvin

Got a guy down the road with 75g tank, red sea skimmer and 225 mh with two 110 actinic plus stand and canopy for 400, I will be going by his house today lol. I hope to get skimmer and maybe the lights for 150-200. Are red sea skimmers good? It looks a tad old of course.

zchauvin

Anyone care to chime in. In my new stand I think that I might be able to fit a 10g tank and have enough room for a ato container. Question is, should I try and cram a nbw110 in there or use a hydor slim skim nano. I've heard good reviews on the hydor but still want a few opinions. I want to ensure I have sufficient room for a refugium.