Drilling a tank

bmplank86

Has been struck by the ban stick
I really like my glass holes kit. It's very low profile and takes up minimal space.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342189297.741670.jpg

Life motto: "No rain, no rainbow"

StirCrayzy

Drilling starts today, will add some pictures once I'm done. Will be drilling to bottom instead and putting a glass overflow. Too bad Ada didn't just make a 60p overflow model

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
you Did make sure the bottom is NOT tempered right? Otherwise YOU will be.

dmatt88

Small footprint tank. U sure u don't wanna drill the back?

.............stay thirsty my friend.

zchauvin

Small footprint tank. U sure u don't wanna drill the back?

.............stay thirsty my friend.

Mmm I'm not sure, I figure I would pile the rock onto the glass overflow on one side for a tall island look and the other side a lower one. A large colony of sps or a montipora on the top of the large pile who cover nearly the entire overflow. If anything but bottom it would be a side

zchauvin

Alright.. can I ask a question.. I love these Ada tanks and hate the cost. If I decide to do a planted tank with it in the future. I've got two options, should I just use the hob overflow and stuff or use a canister filter? I want to keep the crisp rimless design.

sk8rdn

Ok, I'll be the dumb one to ask it: What's an "Ada" tank?

....Secret Super Hero....

zchauvin

Aqua design amano. Very well know for quality and appeal. Very expensive which is why I'm cautious of putting a hole in it.. basically you will never find a tank with the quality of these, all rimless and you will not find a defect in the silicone. Some of the products are expensive because of the logo, the tanks though can't be beat. And its not a dumb question, you just didn't know. No big deal. Also, they have tanks with built in glass overflows but the small one at I think 30 or 40 gallons starts at 500$

zchauvin

Idk, I just don't know if I want to risk cracking it or something. And if I ever want to, I can't use it for my planted tanks- what I did before sw. I'm making the stand so I have a little more time to think. I was even thinking just using a canister and the glass pipes from ADA to keep the rimless look but I want sps. Idk how people keep good quality with just a canister. I suppose weekly wc.

StirCrayzy

Practice on some scraps from the Hardware store.
Pretty sure its normal to get cold feet before first drilling, but so much success and how -to info has inspired me to try it.
Even if you drill, you can still use as planted with sump also. Same concept as Reef.

I agree, it is tough to choose, and heavy risk to not take lightly.