Drilling a tank

zchauvin

I'm just new and don't understand why the hob over flows suck, I mean the one I have on there now seems to be working fine. Just wondering.
And what's a weir overflow? Same principle?
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hob overflows get bad press due to the fact they get buildup and don't work as well. Even lifereef needs scraping of the Coralline or it doesn't flow as well. I hate the kind with the airline in the top. If the airline gets plugged or something interferes with the pump ur in trouble. Drilled tanks just work so smooth. One less potential issue.

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

StirCrayzy

I like these because thet look cooler than tubes, and seems to resist clogging just because there is more surface area.

overflow.jpg

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/weir_needs_routing.jpg
weir_needs_routing.jpg

zchauvin

I took some measurements and I can't fit a ten gallon tank under the dt for the sump, what are you guys opinion on stacking two 5g offset one another and use the bottom for skimmer and return with the top one as the fuge. Also, should I put skimmed I'm top tank with drain or "t/y" the drain line to go into both the top fuge and the bottom with skimmer. The fuge would be gravity fed into the bottom tank. This is the only feasable thing I can think of doing to maximize the skimmer and fuge areas.

StirCrayzy

T the drain to feed fuge then grav feed down to skim/return.
Seems most logical.
That would be cool.

Hey maybe drill the 5g fuge drain for 3/4" bulkhead.
Then you get some cheap practice.
locally petco $1per gal. sale ends today.

zchauvin

What are thoughts on running a mag 9 on the system. Perhaps split into three for fuge, return to dt, and a reactor.