Drilling a tank

zchauvin

Got the 60p coming in and after dropping 180$ for a 17g tank I do not want to mess this up lol. I plan to get the glass holes 300gph kit. Nano super or something like that.
I have a eshopps hob nano right now rated at only 200 gph and its nothing other than loud and ugly. Especially for a rimless tank lol. Any suggestions upon drilling this block of gold?
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

TylerHaworth

Drill VERY slowly with minimal pressure... You're grinding the glass away, not cutting through.

Make sure the template Glass-Holes supplies is VERY well attached to the glass.

Otherwise, I found drilling to be quite tedious but very easy... Highly recommend their overflows!

zchauvin

Good deal, have read these things several times so was just checking to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Singlefin

Just the weigh of the drill should be enough. Go as slow as possible. And put a towel or bubble wrap under to catch the piece you cut when it fall out.

Part of me is salty...,

zchauvin

Thanks guys. Soon as the kit gets in from glass cages I'm going at it and ill post some pics as I go

yankieman

Try putting tape on the bottom side to catch the peice of glass you cut, and use water for cooling as you go , I use plumbers putty to make a dam around the area to be cut then add water to it ,,,

zchauvin

Try putting tape on the bottom side to catch the peice of glass you cut, and use water for cooling as you go , I use plumbers putty to make a dam around the area to be cut then add water to it ,,,

Yeah I saw quite a few videos and plumbers putty seemed to work very well. I work with my dad and a friend and we do carpentry, plumbing, and electrical so I plan to make this thing quite nice and hopefully you guys will tag along once I create a journal of the build.

zchauvin

Awesome. Can't wait to get home and see the 60p compared to the GLA version. Been on the road for 7 hours now coming back from destin.

zchauvin

Guys. I need some help haha.
For one, they sent me the wrong tank but my reef that's cycling looks horrible!!!! I've got tons of diatoms and some green algae/slime growing everywheres. It's just plain out disgusting. Help!! Lol I had the light cycle at 10 hours or something like that so I turned that down to about 6 hours. Any help? Haven't changed water and been topping with ro/di. Been setup for 2 weeks.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
It's a normal part of cycling. Your tank is going to do some strange things over the next 6 to 18 months. Siphon out what you can and do some water changes. It's ugly and annoying but you can beat this.

zchauvin

Yeah, but soo Damn ugly haha.
Ok, my dad was in charge of top off for me and Uhm... He was using salt water as top off instead of ro fresh. How big of a problem is this? He added about a half gallon total extra salt water. Not sure how bad the salinity be off?

TylerHaworth

Leave your lights OFF during the cycle, don't feed the algae... Siphon/Manually remove anything that you can.

The saltwater top-off in that amount is likely not an issue, just take out a few cups of saltwater and replace with ro/di water every day until the level is back to where it should be

StirCrayzy

He was using salt water as top off instead of ro fresh. How big of a problem is this? He added about a half gallon total extra salt water. Not sure how bad the salinity be off?
My first thought is ... how can you NOT know how bad the salinity is off ??? you do have some way of measuring right.?
Check it immediately, in asmall tank, little changes are more significant. i would guess you are safe, but never assume, its much safer to KNOW. the size of the problem is directly proportionate to the amount the salinity is off.

lbiminiblue

Good deal, have read these things several times so was just checking to be sure I didn't miss anything.

yeah i drilled one take it slow and never rub your fingers on the hole you drilled it'll slice your hand apart. Put a cloth underneath the section that'll fall out so you don't need to pick up the section barehanded.

zchauvin

My first thought is ... how can you NOT know how bad the salinity is off ??? you do have some way of measuring right.?
Check it immediately, in asmall tank, little changes are more significant. i would guess you are safe, but never assume, its much safer to KNOW. the size of the problem is directly proportionate to the amount the salinity is off.

No, I used pre mixed water and have been on vacation. I don't have anything to measure it with.