Cat's RSM 250

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
5 Hours for some Zoas?? Now that's dedication, sure hope they're worth it. And of course the obligatory pics will follow :).

catran

Yeas, Zoanthids.com will be at the swap in Green Bay Wisconsin! I hope they have some good deals, I know their zoas are very cool. Thankfully, I have a friend driving up with me. That's pretty much the only way I can get up at 5:30am, with just an hour or so sleep!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catran

Okay, so I finally got the gate up. It's just below the waterline. I still had microbubbles. I guessed it was the fact that I was only running one circulation pump. I got going on connecting the eheim pump immediately. I got that installed and,

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

I have 2 pumps blowing microbubbles!
Lol, since the skimmer is working okay now, I'll wait until tomorrow to see if there's any change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL:

LMAO re: Wait for it . .. Wait for it . . .

Hang in there. We'll get it all worked out eventually. :)

5 hrs (each way :dunno:) It's time you go see a Dr :)

catran

I checked the back chamber and it seems that the skimmer pump is making bubbles underneath the skimmer. I'm going to remove the skimmer later and see if the pump is loose. I tried to ensure it was tight against the skimmer, but can't really be sure until I remove the entire thing.

catran

Yeah, good idea to clean the impeller. The skimmer was as clean as a new one though...

catran

I checked the skimmer and just as I thought, the former owner had cleaned it spotless...amazing! (Thanks Steve!). Apparently, it's working fine. While the skimmer was out of the tank, I took a little break and observed the tank. The pump was still intermittently blowing air. I checked the water level and it was fine. After that, I checked the chambers for leftover pockets of air and found none. Obviously, the pump is not working properly and stopping and starting. When it starts back up, the impeller creates bubbles. Lesson learned. I bought 2 pumps and I'm unable to use either one. Now I have to spend coral money to replace this pump!! Doggone! Less zoas tomorrow!

steved13

PREMIUM
Cat, before you condemn the pump (and spend money). Remember the pump can't create air, it has to be getting the air from somewhere. Try the pump in a bucket, or sink or tub, and see if it is stopping and starting for sure.

I'm glad I cleaned the skimmer well. I hardly used it, before getting a sump for my RSM.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cat - are the pumps Hydor or Sicce?

Clean their impellers & inside housing too... a couple of times I have had a pump start microbubbles & had to pull it & clean it, some times 3 or 4 times ... then it fixes it.

If you happen to have the "old" Hydor pumps, that Red Sea replaced with the new Sicce ones, well that's another story...

catran

These were brand new Hydor pumps but not like the stock ones. The small one didn't fit, so I used a Eheim 1000. The one that's 640 gph is the one blowing air intermittently.

catran

Cat, before you condemn the pump (and spend money). Remember the pump can't create air, it has to be getting the air from somewhere. Try the pump in a bucket, or sink or tub, and see if it is stopping and starting for sure.

I'm glad I cleaned the skimmer well. I hardly used it, before getting a sump for my RSM.

I checked the back chambers because I thought there might be bubble left in there. The skimmer is not running now and I still have air shooting out from the pump oh, say every 3-6 seconds. It's no where near as bad as it was before though. I'll remove it tomorrow night and see if the impeller is messed up or if it stops.

catran

I drove up, to Green Bay Wisconsin for the 2nd annual Fox Valley Reef Club Frag Swap. The had several very nice vendors, a couple of the usual vendors and some very cool local vendors, about as much as my local CMAS swap I attended around a month ago.

I'm usually late to these events since I work late evenings, but I forced myself to get there before the doors opened. Everyone was very cool, I talked to several vendors and had a great time! Yes, I bought a few frags, pics to follow tomorrow. I was a little disappointed that Zoanthids.com did not attend, but I got some great stuff, including a sock holder and sock for my frag tank sump.

I'm the most unlucky person in the world when it comes to raffles but I bought 20 tickets anyway. There was a 2:00 drawing for these tickets and another drawing at 2:30 for the Grand Prize. Of course, I didn't have a winner...not even close, lol! I decided to wait for the second drawing at 2:30, even though I only had the one ticket that was handed out at the entrance. The Grand Prize was a 28g Biocube HQI donated by DFS and the second prize was some awesome frags (also donated by DFS).
I won the Biocube!! Wow, how cool! It kind of shocked me since I'm not used to winning, lol! I guess this tank will go into my office when my other builds are complete. I'm really looking forward to setting it up there. I hope I don't have an issue, since they're pretty picky about the new "green" building.
I would like to thank FVRC for hosting such a great event. They did an awesome job, the members were so nice and friendly, I'll definately support the club, local vendors, and I'll be back next year for the next swap too!

catran

Here's pics!
b45d834d.jpg

5767b81b.jpg

5abf0540.jpg

c22a25fe.jpg

d6902b8f.jpg

8e54e176.jpg

4f52034e.jpg

d975b187.jpg

3227b545.jpg