Cat's Frag Tank

catran

I've decided not to build a new tank. I just ordered a 24x24-3/4x10 tank with a built in overflow. I don't have much space so I'm going to build a 20g sump to go with it soon. The tank will be ready for pick up this Saturday but I was advised to wait about a week before adding water. That's okay, I am still working on the RSM 250 and have to get the sump built anyway. Anyone know what size pump I would need to move about 45g of water with about. 3-1/2 to 4th head height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpsika08

For the pump, maybe use a Mag 7 and install a gate valve so you can dial it down and adjust turn over.

45 x 10 = 450 GPH even a Mag 5 will be enough I think

A Mag 7 at 4' will have 480 GPH which will be good to go.

catran

Cool! Thanks Juan!

I can't wait... I'm only home for the night. I'm going back to the house-sitting tomorrow night and I'm off work Wed-Fri. I won't be back home until Saturday night or Sunday. I'll design my sump in the meantime. I'll check my local Ace Hardware for glass. They're usually very good with cutting, etc!

mbdave

Cat,
Have you considered maybe a little larger pump with a small manifold so if need you could branch something?
manifold.jpg

manifld.jpg

This way you can branch off a couple to run reactors and such and maybe a spare in case down the line you need another. Also I prefer an external pump to mag, but mind you mags do rock. Also if you reduce one of the lines gradually it will produce more pressure and maybe run a pellet reactor a bit better, also one pump, means one plug :) I like that:yup:
Let me know what you think.
Dave

catran

I do have a lonely BRS reactor and an even more lonely uv sterilizer.

catran

I'm going to order my AI Sol White tonight. The blue look isn't my favorite and I really need a photo friendly tank. I will suppliment of I need more blue. I'm leaning towards ReefGeek to buy the system.

catran

Wow, thanks Juan! Thanks for the vote too! I kinda feel like i do when I buy a new car, ya know, that sinking feeling that you're spending too much. But, I really like the lights and especially the controller features. I can't wait to get rid of the mess of electrical wires I have now.

catran

I'm in the process of designing my sump now. It will be 30x14x14. I'm not sure, but I think I'll go a little overboard with the pump and get a Mag 9.5. After talking to my buddy mbdave, we think it's best to keep it simple. I will incorporate a fuge into the sump and I already have a nice CPR light for it. I'm going searching for glass tomorrow. With any luck, I may be able to start on it this weekend. I'll pick up the frag tank Saturday and it's going to kill me to wait for the rest of the stuff.

catran

In the meantime, I picked up a couple if things and I had to mount an SPS for a buddy of mine. Here's my little Frag station I use for 1 or 2 frags... I have a much larger one I use to do zoas...

c2d13bf4.jpg

0af9859e.jpg

I like this one:
13ea4b5b.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very cool "Frag Station". It's funny just how much it resembles my "Quickie Frag Station". Keep it simple right?

I LOVE this one
13ea4b5b.jpg