Cat's Frag Tank

catran

I just picked up the last of the equipment I need for my frag tank. I had a 15g previously. When my light died, I decided I didn't want to buy a new 20" light so I moved all the frags to the RSM 130D. My RSM is overrun with frags and I want it to look like a display tank again.
I have:

A MH light fixture that I will set up later, after I build a hanger for it.

29g tank with glass top
24" CPR AquaFuge PS 2
Aqua Remora C skimmer
T5 HO2 bulb fixture
T-5 2 bulb fixture
Currently, I have:
1 10,000k daylight bulb
3- 10,000k colormax bulbs
3- 14w actinic bulbs

I want to order another daylight bulb and use 2 daylight 10,000k in the HO fixture and use 2 actinic in the reg. T5 fixture.
I know everyone likes pics. It's not much, but here's what I have now:
The Fuge ...
db60e4f8.jpg

Tank and lights...
69aad059.jpg

catran

I am giving my 15g tank away via my local freecycle to a family that has small children that are allergic to cats and dogs. They can't afford to buy one so I'm taking all the sw stuff out and giving them my fw fish- 3 tetras, 2 amano shrimp, 2 cory cats and 2 agae eaters.
I plan on using the nassarius snails in the RSM and Frag tank. I also want to use my sand in the refugium and in the tank. I will have to sift the sand for bad stuff, will I stir up a lot of nasty bacteria? I don't want to use my rock, at one point I want to transfer my firefish into the frag tank (clowns are bully's), so I will add dry rock little by little. NO more hitchhikers for me!!!

catran

Worked all night. I emptied 10 gallons from the old tank and then I sifted through the sand for snails. I stirred up the sand, siphoned the remaining water off and threw it away. Hopefully I got rid of most of the nasty stuff from the sand.

Here I'm almost done. I have to install the pump for the refugium.

aa3d34f3.jpg

I am done for the night. I forgot the pump for the skimmer in the refugium. I'll have to figure out what kind of pump I can put in there. I have 2 maxi jet 900's and a 1200. Oh well, I don't need it yet. I need some chaeto too. I probably won't be able to have everything completely set until the weekend since I'm working two jobs this week. Hopefully, this will do until then....

32b27607.jpg

catran

Thanks, it was a little more work than I expected because I used the sand and water from the old tank, but I know it's worth it, I'll have less time to wait for cycling. Hopefully, I can have the frags in there in a couple of weeks. I'll be testing every day!

catran

Now I wish I would have gone with the 40. But, I got a sweet deal on the tank and lights, so I spent way less than if I had gone with the 40!

Uslanja

Hi Cat! Sweet looking set up!! We can hardly wait to see what frags you get going in there!!

catran

A quick update. I bought some chaeto this weekend and set up the refugium. Wouldn't you know it, it leaked. The leak was minimal but very irritating. Monday I took it down and I removed one of the bulkheads and siliconed the living daylights out of it and let it dry for about 36 hours. I just put it back on and the silicone seems to be doing the trick. I alread transferred some of my frags to the tank. Here's pics:
9b2f2b0b.jpg

6027cd1b.jpg

My only problem is that my mushrooms don't seem to be coloring up as well as they were in the RSM. I had them in the corner in the back and they were probably shaded by my rock. Maybe I need to find them some shade. Here is before and after shots...

RSM
53d6ec1a.jpg

29g Frag Tank
a9346ce0.jpg

Robzilla

Looks good! What of you try moving that frag rack on the front pane over the rock to shade some light?

Robzilla

Try laying some gutter guard across the portion of the tank they are in. Lets plenty of light in but definitely creates some shade. It is like $3 for a whole roll of it at Lowes or Home depot and I have found soooooo many uses for it in my setup.

catran

Cool, good idea!
I feel like I'm going to be equipping the RSM 250 forever. Gotta buy little by little, just bought about 100lbs of aragonite in bags from a guy on CL. I needed more in the 29g too. Got it for $40.00

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Cool, good idea!
I feel like I'm going to be equipping the RSM 250 forever. Gotta buy little by little, just bought about 100lbs of aragonite in bags from a guy on CL. I needed more in the 29g too. Got it for $40.00

Great deal, I had to pay like $35 per bag of 40lbs

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The tank is looking nice! I've had Rics on my top rock under metal halides and they did great. I'm not sure they really need the shade, other than possibly to light acclimate them.

catran

Hopefully you are right, I'll give them some time. I moved them from the RSM 130 combo lights (time to replace them too) to the T5's.

Well, looks like someone's happy I moved him....
50e239c7.jpg

6c2220ab.jpg