Carl's 300g reef build

carlfike

So I decided to start the build thread for the 300g. Let me recap. I have purchased a 300g 96"x30"x24" reef tank with dual overflows from a fellow local reefer. Gotta smoking deal $500! I pick the tank up Saturday. It comes with a stand but the stand it for a 24" not a 30" tank. He was going to modify it but I think I'll end up building a completely new stand.

So far I've purchased:
All items for a 160 LED DIY fixture from rapidled.com. I'll be building this myself.
A GSM-4+ skimmer used from a local reefer
4 Hydor Koralia Magnum 7 and a wave maker
PanWorld 250PS External return pump
A jbj 1/3 chiller
I'm picking up a 125g Monday to turn into a sump/fuge

I have about 200lbs of rock cooking.

To do list:
Run a circuit from box for dedicated gfci lines for tank.
Build stand
Assemble LED fixture

I'll be taking plenty of pics as I move forward. I'll be taking this build kinda slow due to work and the dang heat here in Arizona but I'll looking forward to sharing the journey with everyone!

carlfike

kinda bummed out a bit. Yesterday when I picked up the supposed asm 4+ i was still working and in a bit of a hurry. I met the guy at a LFS. I checked the pump and it was a sedra 9000. but once I got home and tried to actually assemble it it looks like I have a asm-4 body. The plumbing doesn't fit correctly. Long story short don't trust anyone and make sure you see things working before you hand over the money. Now I'm going to have to try and mod this thing to get it to work. I'm pretty sure it'll still be ok for the tank, but it's a headache i didnt need.
On the bright side the sedra 9000 pump works like a charm and blows a TON of micro bubbles.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can get it working but look on the bright side, you're building a 300g piece of ocean.....this setback is only a small one! Good luck.

oh yeah.....before Matt get's here.....PICTURES PLEASE!

carlfike

Chiller and Return Pump
IMAG0123-1.jpg

Skimmer
IMAG0124-1.jpg

Here you can see the misalignment of the plumbing. I'll need to make a base for the body to sit on to make it even.
IMAG0125-1.jpg

Blue Space

300 Gal for $500? Holy smokies! I've been waiting for that deal as long as I've been playing the lotto! :D Good luck on the build and thanks for posting Carl!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Axis and allies......great game. No better way to spend 36 hours straight with your brother when you are young!!!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
put that on ebay......you'll get some cash for it if it is complete! I paid $90 new for it at the hobby store and that was a while ago.

carlfike

Started working on the stand. Here is a little montage of how I'm making the beams.
Each is two 2x6 with a .75" piece of marine grade plywood and fiberglass cloth/resin sandwiched between them. Then I carriage bolted them together every 20". Thing is wicked strong and should give the open design inside the stand that I would get with a metal stand using wood.

47d1c7f7-a3e7-da76.jpg

47d1c7f7-a40e-b954.jpg
47d1c7f7-a41b-28f8.jpg
47d1c7f7-a427-6280.jpg
47d1c7f7-a433-a58c.jpg
47d1c7f7-a440-b3fa.jpg