Carl's 300g reef build

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Looks like a decent order. Why do you feel you'll need a chiller if you're going LED?

jpsika08

No, I think more of a 1.5 or 2kw chiller would do the job, a friend of mine has a smaller tank and system than yours, the 1kw chiller almost delivers the job.
Problem with these is the amount of electricity they consume.

Maybe my suggestion would be, install the whole setup, let it run with all equipment on and measure temp, once you do this you'll have a better idea on the approach :)

carlfike

Picked up the 125 I'm going use as a sump today. I'll post some pics when I get some help to unload. I need to drill it for the return line. Anyone know somewhere I can get some info on that. Never drilled a tank before and I'm a bit nervous lol.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Easy Peasy...Pick up ypurself a decent diamond tipped hole saw on ebay.
Then just make this jig out of plywood. The MAIN thing is patience patience and did I mention patience? You need to go slow and just let the weight of the drill do the work. I just drilled my 125 and believe it or not the thicker the glass the less chance of a crack. Fire away with any questions on this jig if needed. Have fun!

1-3.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-3.jpg

5-2.jpg

6-1.jpg

carlfike

aef0c1bf-68b2-1196.jpg

Here's the 125. Cleaning it right now. I ordered the hole saw and bulkhead from glassholes. I have a question though. Can I remove the center brace if this is going to be a sump or will I have issues?

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
You WILL need support on the center of the tank... I would advise leaving it but you can get away without it if u use glass dividers and glue them well

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah, when it comes to support, I'd vote to keep it. Better than a wet floor.

carlfike

I can just use the middle as the return area. Have skimmer on one side and the fuge on the other. I'll have to split the overflow like 75/25 though.

carlfike

aef0c1bf-7d3e-eba1.jpg

Got another shipment of aquarium stuff today. 2 of my powerheads were on back order. Gonna give with wave maker thing a try. Cheap but got decent reviews.

jpsika08

Yes, you can remove the top center baffle as the vertical ones within the sump will give you much better support.

I did on my 275 gallon sump and no problems :)

Of course, if this is for sump use.

carlfike

Yes, you can remove the top center baffle as the vertical ones within the sump will give you much better support.

I did on my 275 gallon sump and no problems :)

Of course, if this is for sump use.

How did you attach the baffles? Did you use anything beside silicone? I'd just hate to have the damn thing bust open and water the carpet lol. I can hear the wife now. Also I plan on using 3/8" acrylic for the baffles. Will that provide the same support as glass?

jpsika08

Just used silicone, if one center beam supports the middle section of both, front and rear glasses, imagine what 3 or 4 vertical ones would do.
The center beam in your picture above is just glued with silicone. :)

Just to be sure I'm not giving you bad info, how many baffles and how do you plan placing them in that tank?

carlfike

At least 4. I'm planning on having one side be a skimmer section prolly 18" -20" long then a huge fuge section and a return section.

jpsika08

This is a simple sketchup I did from your info, if this is how you plan to do it, you don't have nothing to worry about, just look at how much support you're getting from all those vertical baffles.

sump.jpg

carlfike

This is a simple sketchup I did from your info, if this is how you plan to do it, you don't have nothing to worry about, just look at how much support you're getting from all those vertical baffles.

sump.jpg

That's it!.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk