Billyr98's Real Upgrade! 450g Starphire Custom Reef Tank!

billyr98

well this tank is going on the 1st floor over my basement and is about 1200lbs dry and then 450x8.5 for water weight... thats alot!!! so i added floor support to the front of tank today, the back wall of the tank is already supported...

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
HAHA Doc!
Looks great Billy. Did you check the slab to see how deep it is? You wouldn't want that jack to just punch a hole in it over time. If its less then 6" i would cut it, dig a foot down and fill it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Seriously check on that slab thickness. Frankie's right. If it's a standard residential basement only slab (not designed as a garage) it's going to be 3-4" thick which isn't near enough for that point load.

Also I like to see lumber like that in a simple "cradle/u-support" when it's on a jack like that. I have a slide show here that we show to our field reps of that small plate at the top of the jack warping slightly and allowing the weight to be concentrated on a single member instead of spread across the gang there. Right now's the time to add a small level of protection while it's not "loaded".

I can't WAIT to see that tank in action!

Allen

boozeman

beautifull !!!!
looks deceptively small in that pic...good luck getting it home :thumbup:
can't wait to see it in person :drooool:

billyr98

its the same slab holding the rest of the house... i have a post holding 2x10s like 3 ft away on the same slab... Oh well- Wish ME LUCK!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
But when we build these basements we allow for those posts by pouring a "thickend slab" under the spot where the post is at.

Allen

Frankie

RS STAFF
The tank looks awesome billy! Are they shipping it to you or are you picking it up? I am very excited for you. That is a beautiful made tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I want to come over to Billy's house to play with his aquarium. That's going to be a thing of BEAUTY!!!

Allen :)

mps9506

I'm with cheeks I'm really digging the external overflows, I'm surprised more people don't go that route.

cioutlaw

Very nice tank!

Verifying the concrete thickness does sound like a good idea or You could always spread the load at the floor like you did at the ceiling. I think it would be good insurance.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I'm with cheeks I'm really digging the external overflows, I'm surprised more people don't go that route.

They are starting to Mike. I see it more and more now on other forums. I just don't think it was an option a few years ago. I didn't even think about it when i built my coast to coast. Then i saw this dude with a coast to coast on the out side and kicked myself! ;)

Wow this is going to deffently a wild tank i cant wait to see it in full effect....And I just noticed your in Cherry Hill, Im in Lumberton....

"HINT HINT: I want to see 2"

jhnrb

I agree with the others on the support. before you set weight on the supports add a piece of 4 x 6 between the three laminated 2 x's and the support, use simpson HD 2.7 to connect the 4 x 6 to the three 2 x's, at the bottom add a 1/4" steel plate with holes cut in each corner or at least on two sides and anchor with 3/4 swedge's (do not drill through the bottom of slab and if you do drill over size and put althreat in with simpson epoxy. This will give you a great load distribution, relieve the point load a bit on the sq. thin plate at top and bottom of jack. just a thought for you to consider. You can brace with a 2 x 4 now while you make the modification and I do believe you will in great shape for the long term. good luck keep us posted. looks like a fantastic project to follow and I am looking for the build out of your system. :whstlr:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They are starting to Mike. I see it more and more now on other forums. I just don't think it was an option a few years ago. I didn't even think about it when i built my coast to coast. Then i saw this dude with a coast to coast on the out side and kicked myself! ;)

So how "feasible" is the external overflow on a smaller tank.. say 90/120 size? I REALLY like the look and idea of that and think I need to investigate it more.

Billy keep us posted buddy!!

Allen :)