BigAl's slow chronicle . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh no BigAl! So sorry to hear the bad news. I hope you bounce back quickly. Did you loose any of the stuff I sent you?

Afraid so bro! One of the smaller ones has some life left on it and the "Brown" one wasn't affected at all. That HUGE beautiful colony is as white as snow which means it went south. I've not pulled any of them out of the tank because I've seen coral appear completely void of any life and over time start to gradually grow back out.

It's shocking at what just a couple of days of above average temps (the controller says it never got over 83 in the tank) will do to the balance of the tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My sentiments exactly. I honestly was shocked at the results of a couple of degrees above normal. I mean I know that most animals in the ocean and tolerate 83 degrees but I would imagine that the change from 78 to 83 and staying that way for many hours caused my issues. Luckily all my water params appear to be in check so now I just gotta battle some NASTY GHA patches! PERFECT :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Let me know Allen if you need any advice or help.

Thanks buddy! I appreciate that. GHA can be a total pain in the tail. This stuff grows so fast I think I can SEE it growing! LOL! I did remember Stacef mentioned a loonngggg time ago that a toothbrush would tangle and remove GHA and by golly she's RIGHT!! It really yanks the long stuff out :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
How are your parameters testing? Is everything dialed in or are they off a bit here and there. Do some testing tomorrow when you get home if you have the time and post them. Do you have the full spread of test kits available? A rise in temperature would not cause an outbreak like this Allen. Something else is up I am thinking.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes as of Saturday morning my water params were almost perfect. NO3 was up a hair (20ish) but I don't think that would LEAD to this. I'm at a loss but regardless something at least associated or triggered by the rapid rise in water temps caused a huge outbreak of GHA. I've always had a small spot of it but in a year it's never been bigger than the size of a 50 cent piece. Now it's on several rock and even growing on top of some coraline on the glass. The only thing I can't test for at the moment is MG and I know I've read several times that low MG can at least promote GHA growth.

I'll be doing 2-3 water changes next week in addition to manual removal, MG testing/adjustment and anything else I can think of in the mean time :)

Thanks for the input and kind words everyone :D

Stacef

I did remember Stacef mentioned a loonngggg time ago that a toothbrush would tangle and remove GHA and by golly she's RIGHT!! It really yanks the long stuff out :)

During my lengthy battle with HA, I learned a few tricks, the toothbrush was a GREAT one!

hma

LOL! Well with all these demands how can I refuse?

Well actually I can refuse. I had an AC unit go out and apparently increased water temps REALLY promote significant algae growth. Talk about an algae BLOOM! Holy Cow Batman! I lost some SPS and have a lovely forest of GHS like I've never seen in one of my own personal tanks.

:cry1: Uhhhh .. I am sorry ... I had a few days ago the same problem I was lucky and was able to return quickly to normal temperature.

ScubaDrew

Hey Al, funny - I've been looking at chillers all day!

My living room is way to large and open to try and AC... i'm evaporating so much water the power strips are all wet and actually tripped the GFCI!

I'm glad your back in action - tank temp def a huge problem w/ the algae in my experience also.

BobBursek

Big Al,
I just picked up on your delima, my mentor has a pristine 180g, travels alot and has a ATO, kicking on the RO/DI system for ATO, make a long story short, his DI resin went bad, not color changeing type and not at home to monitor his TDS meter, and when it does exhaust, dumps all it collects in a short amount of flow time and raised his phosphates to a level to have Hair Algae on just about eveything. Just an option to look at for your source/cause of it.

Octoman

Allen, so sorry to hear about the temp/ha problems. I'd suggest running some fresh phosban. I hope things get straightened out soon!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Honestly I've not slowed down enough to check it. I've been working 7:30 am - 11:00pm most nights trying to get caught up and work. I'm sort of on vacation next week so I'm planning to try and do some stuff on Monday :)

Thanks for checking in :)

Basile

Hey , hi Alan! Sorry to hear about your problem, never had GHA before but now i know how to rectify it if i do. I'm back from the ship . Though i'd check on old friends lol. Got your hands full i see. Good idea to take a breather. Thats what i'm on now for another 6 weeks at least. I'll use that time to start that 65 g of mine. I've talking about it for so long ; it feels like a long dead relative of mine lol. Take care .:dance:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Just stopping in Allen to see how your doing. Keep in mind life's natural order,
God, Tank, Work, Wife, Children and miscellaneous pets :D
Let me explain, without God, non of the rest exist. Without a tank, whats the point of having a job? and without a job your not going to have a wife who will provided children, who in turn bring home pets you will have to pay and care for. hope that makes sense :D

fishmama67

Just stopping in Allen to see how your doing. Keep in mind life's natural order,
God, Tank, Work, Wife, Children and miscellaneous pets :D
Let me explain, without God, non of the rest exist. Without a tank, whats the point of having a job? and without a job your not going to have a wife who will provided children, who in turn bring home pets you will have to pay and care for. hope that makes sense :D

OH I am lovin' this! Can a girl switch it up so that husband comes in place oe wife in the list LOL:whstlr: ?
Glad someone finally wrote down the list of priorities!:thumbup: