"Balling Method" for supplementing

ScubaDrew

Hi guys, the NaCl free salt is available Here

Select "local pickup" to avoid the extra shipping charges. I expect to drag my feet for a few days to let everyone interested in trying the HMA-Balling method a try, get there orders in! Hopefully everyone is still getting other parts of the system ready, and this isnt an inconvenience....

I look forward to all of our tanks looking equally as amazing as Mr. MHA's in the near future!!

Drew

hma

For the guys using this method, how well is it working out?
Also overall cost of setting up? This sorta reminds me of the two or three part solutions dosing, is it similar?

Thanks!

Hello Scott,

it is a variation of the 2/3 part solution. I am adding vitamins, amino acids and all needed trace elements. If you use the Balling Plus method, you must be dosing nothing else, in the Balling Plus solutions ALL trace elements, amino acids and vitamins already exist in precisely co-ordinated amount.

.... WOW Drew, this is really a very fair price. 1 kg costs here in Germany approx. 50,- euro in trade. RESPECT!

BarbMazz

Drew, I know you've just found this source, but do you feel this will be something you will be able to keep available for ordering?

And, Heinz, if you're watching... I'll just be setting up a brand new tank. I'm assuming this is a method I would use further down the road? Or, can I set up a new tank with this method using this salt and adding the supplements as the Balling Method is formulated?

hma

Drew, I know you've just found this source, but do you feel this will be something you will be able to keep available for ordering?

And, Heinz, if you're watching... I'll just be setting up a brand new tank. I'm assuming this is a method I would use further down the road? Or, can I set up a new tank with this method using this salt and adding the supplements as the Balling Method is formulated?

Exact, with the Balling method one starts if in a tank the calcium and magnesium value per week stronger drops than we with a standard WC could equalise.

Who would like to begin with the Balling method because his values already to the requirements for Balling correspond, send me a PM please. In the first week the values must be brought at first on optimum values. If they are already optimal can one start directly, if not, an adjustment over 5-7 days is necessary. In the PM I write to everybody what exactly is to do to optimize the values with the help of the Balling salts.

ScubaDrew

I'm confident that I will be able to supply this product for quite some time. The price may be hard to control but I also suspect that it will become more popular in the US and I'll be just a face in the crowd of people selling it! We are just on the cutting edge.

.... WOW Drew, this is really a very fair price. 1 kg costs here in Germany approx. 50,- euro in trade. RESPECT!

Thanks Heinz, this is a special price for my RS friends only. As soon as I get "coupon codes" working on my site, the price will change for everyone else. I don't believe anyone will offer this product at this price in the USA any time soon!

BarbMazz

I'm confident that I will be able to supply this product for quite some time. The price may be hard to control but I also suspect that it will become more popular in the US and I'll be just a face in the crowd of people selling it! We are just on the cutting edge.
Thanks, Drew! I was hoping you'd say that. I'm very, very interested, but seeing as I'm just getting set up it's not feasible to invest now in something I'm not going to need for some time. I have all the information bookmarked, and all the sites that Heinz has nicely found for us that supply the other chemicals needed (hint, hint, Drew!... maybe look into selling a Balling Method "package", if you will! Be the easiest place to go to supply for the Balling Method! ).

It sure does seem these German folks are on the cutting edge in reefing. German innovations seem to be prevalent in a lot of the reading I've done.

ScubaDrew

If someone will summarize exactly what should be in a starter kit - i'll see if i can put it together!

Thanks, Drew! I was hoping you'd say that. I'm very, very interested, but seeing as I'm just getting set up it's not feasible to invest now in something I'm not going to need for some time. I have all the information bookmarked, and all the sites that Heinz has nicely found for us that supply the other chemicals needed (hint, hint, Drew!... maybe look into selling a Balling Method "package", if you will! Be the easiest place to go to supply for the Balling Method! ).

It sure does seem these German folks are on the cutting edge in reefing. German innovations seem to be prevalent in a lot of the reading I've done.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The below makes only 2.5 gallons each so the needed supplements would be several times greater?? Heinz should be able to tell how much should be in a starter package.

Most advanced reefers might already have the calcium, sodium carbonate, and magnesium sulfate/magnesium chloride on hand.

Woodstock said:
Below is information that I have gathered through both PM's (Thanks again Heinz :) )and researching. I have hyper linked the sites for each item so shopping is a breeze!! It should save any interested person a LOT of searching!!

I will use Heinz's Balling Complete plus recipe: I will have three(3) 2.5-2.6 gallon (10 litter) jugs filled as follows:

#1 Jug:
#2 Jug:

3 Jug:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz
Remember please, before you can start with the Balling method, all values must brought on standard.

The addition amount is dependent on the consumption of the carbonate hardness. It is very important that all solutions are added in equal parts. Start depending on the stocking with 10-30 ml / 100 liters per day, regularly examine the KH value and adjust the dosage. When you admit the solutions is totally irrelevant. They should be somewhat time-separated, never admitted together.

I will more than likely purchase a GroTec III NG dosing pump but I am still researching other options.

Nacl free salt mix can now be purchased in the US from North East Coral - Tropic Marine pro Special Mineral 1.8kg
Thanks Drew!!! :thumbup:

I hope this post helps others out there. :)

hma

Hello Drew,

with pleasure I put together for you 3 Balling starter kit’s. One should exist only of the required chemicals. A seconde one should contain three 2.6 Gal. Jug’s and 3 plastic syringes (60ml). A third one should contain, in addition, as a luxury variation, a 3-channel dosing pump. I rework the prescriptions for the single Balling solutions, Balling light, Balling complete and Balling plus also in gallons if you like.

BarbMazz

Hello Drew,

with pleasure I put together for you 3 Balling starter kit’s. One should exist only of the required chemicals. A seconde one should contain three 2.6 Gal. Jug’s and 3 plastic syringes (60ml). A third one should contain, in addition, as a luxury variation, a 3-channel dosing pump. I rework the prescriptions for the single Balling solutions, Balling light, Balling complete and Balling plus also in gallons if you like.

Thanks so much, Heinz! I think we're getting the Balling Method started in the US right here on RS... TOO COOL!

Karma to you, Heinz.. you are invaluable to us here on RS. :happywalk

With this method...do you have to test daily/weekly/monthly once everything is dialed in?

The reason I went with a kalk reactor is to eliminate daily dosing of two part solutions and constant testing of ca/alk values. I test approximately monthly for ca/alk and always have ca at 410-420 and alk at 9.8-10. Once things are up and running with an accurate dosing pump, is this a "set it and forget it" type setup?

Is there an advantage to this method for the Kalk dosers that have consistent levels?

Thanks and God bless,
Disciple

lcstorc

How did I fall so far behind?
Drew have you put together a starter package yet? Perhaps a starter package with the syringes and stuff and then a refill package. Do you also cary the trace elements and vitamins that make it the bailing plus?
Sorry for so many questions but I have wanted to try this but I am horrid with the chemistry stuff. It would be awesome to be able to buy a package with everything included. (Well I can manage to add the water. :) )Particularly from a RS friend and sponsor.
Heinz if this makes my tank 1/2 as beautiful as yours I am sold.

ScubaDrew

Fresh from Germany - the NaCL free salt has arrived in tropical Vermont! I'll be shipping the orders out tomorrow.

More are available for anyone else interested in getting started.

Lynn, I haven't been able to put the package together yet. Heinz sent me lots of info and some recommendations. I'll see what I can do.

Drew