"Balling Method" for supplementing

DaveK

I hope someone else can help you. I noticed that this is a long thread and it's not been touched in about 4 years. I don't recall the Balling Method mentioned for a very long time. I couldn't locate anything much newer on the net in my quick lookup.

Is anyone still using it, or was this a reef keeping fad that has come and gone?

DaveK

ive only heard it mentioned 2 maybe 3 times. i almost want to give it a try but it sounds like alot of hassle yo me.

That's been about my thoughts on the Balling Method. It requires three stock solutions and a very accurate dousing pump that can control all three solutions. In my opinion it's really only worth considering when you have a system full of SPS corals and clams where you can't keep up with the calcium depletion using water changes, and a calcium reactor.

This hobby tend to go through a lot of fads. The things that really work get adopted by many people. Others seem to go in and out of style. Others become all the rage, and then go away, never to be heard from again. This might be a great topic for another thread.

My question still stands - Is anyone still using it, or was this a reef keeping fad that has come and gone?

anthony27

I use the Balling method for over 3 years now,

1 container of alk makes 1.5 gallons of alk
2 containers of Cal makes 1.5 gallon of cal
2 containers of Mag makes 1.5 gallons of mag

I do not add the trace elements into the salts mix. I think it is to much to be dosing in the tank at once and my self. I do use the balling colors which is a contration of color elements that help out the corals.

You dose less of cal and mag then any other mix out there. I have a full blown sps system and I am only using 5 ml a day of cal which = out to 440 ml of cal testing with a salifered test kit.

Inorder to test the alk you will be a elos or fauna test kit that will be dead on to the levels that you are testing.

I have noticed with the new mix they have now corals do grow some what faster ( In My Opion) and also colors are better.

Dave to anwser this, it is not a big thing in america because we really dont look into other tanks in europe, the balling method is used well around european tanks. I know this because I go on other fourms slated for certain countries and use a translated web browser to help me with understanding what they are saying. America tends to stick to bulk reef supply mix esv and other methods of dosing the tank that have worked for years. I know my whole tank is a german system Meaning: balling lite method, bubble mag doeser, tunze pumps, zeovit pols extra, no carbon or gfo, lighting is reef breeders which is american, and the way I store and make water is all from reading international reefing fourms.

If you have questions regarding the balling method then please ask.

O to add the balling lite method is only the use of the alk cal and mag and the additives such as colors and trace elements added into the salt.
The Balling Method is the use of the zeo rocks and all additives such as minis and organic for carbon dosing.

janey

Bought the FM Ultra Salt Balling
for Calcium , alk and mag

for calcium mix

This example is given for 2 liters ok I google that so its 68oz I think?
says 2000ml of ro water ? 2 Liters right ?

then add 144g of cal chloride-Dihydrate Ok How much is that ?

for sodium Bicarbonate it says 163.8 g AHHh whats that??? say in ML or OZ

Think i need a scale
thanks everyone for helping me..

janey

Mike Johnson

1 cup = 8 ounces = 16 Tbsp = 48 tsp = 237 ml
or
1 ounce = 1/8 cup = 2 Tbsp = 6 tsp = 15 ml

You can do the math from there.

Edit: Whoops, 2 Tbsp = 6 tsp

Last edited:

DaveK

Bought the FM Ultra Salt Balling
for Calcium , alk and mag

for calcium mix

This example is given for 2 liters ok I google that so its 68oz I think?
says 2000ml of ro water ? 2 Liters right ?

then add 144g of cal chloride-Dihydrate Ok How much is that ?

for sodium Bicarbonate it says 163.8 g AHHh whats that??? say in ML or OZ

Think i need a scale
thanks everyone for helping me..

janey

You are working with dry chemicals here, and since you need very precise measurements, you almost need an accurate scale that works in grams. Due to digital technology, they are very inexpensive. Here is one low cost example (offsite) - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026KXU7W/?tag=reefsanc-20

anthony27

1 container of alk makes 1.5 gallons of alk
2 containers of Cal makes 1.5 gallon of cal
2 containers of Mag makes 1.5 gallons of mag

this is what I was told from Fauna on their fourms

Mike Johnson

Yeah, I bought a digital scale. Even though you tell them it's for measuring chemicals for your aquarium they give you the, "Yeah, it's for drugs, look." Same thing when I bought syringes several years ago for Aiptasia, "Uh, huh."