"Balling Method" for supplementing

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hi "Balling Freaks"......

I meet on the coming week-end Hans Werner Balling (Tropic Marine) and Claude Schuhmacher (Fauna Marine) on a trade fair in Nuremberg (interzoo). If somebody questions or suggestions for one of the both has ...... let it me know. I transmit it with pleasure or discuss the question with both and reports afterwards here in the forum about that if interest exists.

Excellent!! YOu have very good connections Heinz! :D

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Heinz!:D I have a question that I have not been able to work out in theory. I know, from reading, that there is a build up of NaCl using this method. My question is, are water changes to be done with the NaCl free salt mix? If so, the small canister that I received will not be enough.

hma

Thanks Heinz!:D I have a question that I have not been able to work out in theory. I know, from reading, that there is a build up of NaCl using this method. My question is, are water changes to be done with the NaCl free salt mix? If so, the small canister that I received will not be enough.

I can answer this question to you already now Scott.

With the Balling method calcium and carbonate hardness is supplied, while calcium chloride (CaCl2) and Natriumhydrogencarbonat (NaHCO3), called also sodium, are added. As a "waste product" originates sodium chloride (NaCl).

Indeed, this NaCl is the main part of the sea salt (approx. 75%), so in big measure available, nevertheless, one should complement to prevent a gradual change of the water composition a salt Free of NaCl, so that from the sum "natural" sea salt originates again. Therefore the salinity increases bit by bit in the aquarium, therefore, keep an eye always on the density and with the water change a little less salt in the set one anew

I hope this was explained understandably?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I can answer this question to you already now Scott.

With the Balling method calcium and carbonate hardness is supplied, while calcium chloride (CaCl2) and Natriumhydrogencarbonat (NaHCO3), called also sodium, are added. As a "waste product" originates sodium chloride (NaCl).

Indeed, this NaCl is the main part of the sea salt (approx. 75%), so in big measure available, nevertheless, one should complement to prevent a gradual change of the water composition a salt Free of NaCl, so that from the sum "natural" sea salt originates again. Therefore the salinity increases bit by bit in the aquarium, therefore, keep an eye always on the density and with the water change a little less salt in the set one anew

I hope this was explained understandably?

Correct me if I am wrong please...
I understand you to say that during supplementation (ca, alk, mg) we are slowly increasing the sodium level so we must keep a close eye on the salinity level and reduce the salinity if necessary in small amounts; either by lower salinity water changes OR by removing tank water and replacing it with a NaCL-free mixture. Am I correct?

hma

NO ....

The NaCl free salt is not to use for the water change Scott, it must be added to the Canister III (magnesium). Once again only to be sure you have properly understood the Balling method. The amounts of the single salts must be mixed in each case in 10 litres of osmosis water, only AFTERWARDS one can spill tiny amounts of the mixed salts in smaller containers.

Woodstock

RS STAFF

The NaCl-free salt mix is to be used in container #3 and to replace small amounts of tank water when the salinity raises too high. The point being to keep the salinity stable.
The NaCl-free salt allows you to do this while replacing all the other (non-salt) elements back to the water.

Heinz, correct me please if I am astray :D

Last edited:

hma

Correct me if I am wrong please...
I understand you to say that during supplementation (ca, alk, mg) we are slowly increasing the sodium level so we must keep a close eye on the salinity level and reduce the salinity if necessary in small amounts; either by lower salinity water changes OR by removing tank water and replacing it with a NaCL-free mixture. Am I correct?

Doni Marie, this is not quite right. The NaCL free salt is never used for a water change, the mixing proportion would be too heavy to determine.

Nevertheless, it is actually rather easy to understand. We add with the Balling method every day an ADDITIONAL amount of salt to the aquarium water. Now we use this amount of less of the standard sea salt which we would usually use for the water change. In other words, we use for the weekly water change simply a little less salt and thereby reach a minimally lower density than in the aquarium available ones.

Was this understandably Doni Marie?

hma

The NaCl-free salt mix is to be used in container #3 and to replace small amounts of tank water when the salinity raises too high. The point being to keep the salinity stable.
The NaCl-free salt allows you to do this while replacing all the other (non-salt) elements back to the water.

Heinz, correct me please if I am astray :D

100 Points Doni Marie .... EXACT !

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
In print, it's a little overwhelming. I'm hoping in practice it becomes more clear. Get ready for a barrage of questions Heinz!:D

I've read all the Balling literature from earlier in this thread. Just when I think I have it committed to memory a couple of weeks goes by, waiting for the pump, and I forget it all.:lol:

hma

I had the problem at the beginning also Scott, but this becomes better .... believe me.

If you have any time questions .... I am every time ready for it. No problem.

Fauna Marin

Hi guys

I found this Forum also so of there are more question on the Balling methode or our balling light methode then please ask me

Many greetings Claude Schuhmacher

Fauna Marin

Hi guys

I found this Forum also so of there are more question on the Balling methode or our balling light methode then please ask me

lcstorc

Thanks for the offer.
Have you started a tank chronicle?
We would love to see your tank using this method. Heinz's are incredible that's for sure.
Oh I forgot to say.
Welcome to RS!

hma

Hi guys

Hi Claude ...... JUPPIIIIIIIIEEE that's funny !

Wonderfully you have found us. Now it can go on with the "Balling" method in the USA :thumbup:

btw .... I just come back from my preferred LFS with new T5 bulbs for all my aquariums., these are of course Fauna Marin AQUA Science Special 15,000 K and blue, there is no better choice. Are they in the USA already to buy Claude?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
:hallo: Welcome to ReefSanctuary Mr. Schuhmacher.
Very nice to have you chime in here!

I will eventually begin using the balling method on my reef but I have been busy with other things lately. I still need to purchase a dosing pump (Tech III)...