Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had both but loop works better

• Go for loop

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

Hi i'm doing a new system after so many years and i can't really find any good text on closed loop subject or design on it. Are the powerheads taking over? If so why, Tell me your story...... why is that.:lurk:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think for the majority of hobbyists powerheads are so much easier especially if you're limited on plumbing space or can't drill/plumb into your system.

I like a Closed Loop and will incorporate it into my next build for sure.

DaveK

Like a lot of other things in this hobby using a closed loop has good points and bad points. The choice to use one depends somewhat upon what your are trying to do with the tank.

I use a closed loop in my tank. I set it up as a spray bar running along the length of the tank, just above the sandbed. This prevents a lot of dead spots and dirt traps. I also use a pair of Tunze Stream pumps to create random flow patterns in the tank. BTW, this is a 125 gal tank.

yankieman

I think for the majority of hobbyists powerheads are so much easier especially if you're limited on plumbing space or can't drill/plumb into your system.

I like a Closed Loop and will incorporate it into my next build for sure.

I have to agree with Al 100% on this , thats exactly how i feel

Frankie

RS STAFF
Closed loops aren't dying out. It's the diy reefers that seem to be disappearing.
Personally I hate the look of powerheads and pretty much anything not alive in the display tank.
I can handle the vortec, but those monster looking, anemone eating egg shaped powerheads have got to go!
Drill it I say! Think outside what you see everybody else doing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forum Runner

Basile

My God i forgot about my thread lol. Well i was going and was planing on a closed loop, it was all planed out i had my pump, all my holes were planed and then wham, or is it wamh , lol. i got into an argument with a fellow aquarist who showed me his set up. quite impressed with it. A tunze wave box and power heads with fruit nets lol. but well hiden i should add. I was planning on doing sculptures for my new tanks, but, i'm running into difficulties with my concepts. its a custom made starphire tanks, rimless. I also purchased some nice ceramic panels for my backwalls, so thats covered. They will also cover the central overflow box, and when i say central, i mean central right in the middle of the tank, about 12" in diameter, a cylinder, containing 2 herbie type pipes and the return. Hiden with chiseled cermic panels . So i have abandoned the loop. I've posted a thread about keeping anemone with power heads and it seem to be possible with a few tricks. I also save in 3 ways, plumbing, the power bills, and silent running. I do regret not doing it though i would of like making at least one of the tank this way, but
Ç'est la vie...

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I dont know about most, but for me, i'd prefer a closed loop, but its a cost/convenience issue. I want more flow hypothetical - Pump + Glass hole saw + Bulkheads + Pipe + OMG I HAVE TO DRAIN THE TANK TO DO THIS ----- or ---- add a couple more powerheads, and if i use a wavemaker strip, they'll run opposit each other....hmmmm let me think. The powerheads are just quicker, easier and require less planning.

I have a Reef Ready 75g im picking up in 2 weeks. Im seriously thinking of doing a closed loop, since i'll have time. I dont like powerheads. The tank comes with drilled overflow/returns. Im contemplating buying a couple of Drilled return kits, and bulkheads with snail covers to try and do a closed loop. I'll cost more than a couple powerheads, but it will req less upkeep.

Frankie

RS STAFF
The way to plumb the intake for a closed loop is a letter F.
So, just like the shape of a letter F you have two holes for the intake connecting to the main line going to the pump.
This makes it safe for the inhabitants.
It breaks the draw of water so fish don't get sucked into the screen.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I like the idea.

Do you also run a separate system to accommodate a sump or is there a way to have the closed loop do it all? I'm not completely familiar with the way they work.

Basile

I like the idea.

Do you also run a separate system to accommodate a sump or is there a way to have the closed loop do it all? I'm not completely familiar with the way they work.

Ok as the name says and i'm not being mean here, its closed and independent from the sump, thats why its not affected by a power loss or a shut down of the system. the system is simple and that water will never mix with the sump water. Its lets say 2holes collecting water from your main tank and bringing it to an external pump on the side of your sump, then returning it with a high pressure to your tank to insure water flow to it. Now the plumbing involves is extensive but is invisible in the tank , so no power heads are required because you can place as many exit holes as you want in your tank , 4-6-8-10. Now the difficulty here is predicting the dead spot withing your tank before doing the return holes . The power head in contrast can be moved at will so are more flexible. But bulky and if you want a clean look for your tank an eye soar. I change my mind for lots a reasons ; one of them was the prediction of my dead spot and the work involve in doing the camouflage of those holes. I know i gave up....

Frankie

RS STAFF
No, closed loops are closed. Here are some pictures of the one I did on a 120 I built.

Attachments

• 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 56

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Very nice!

No valves...

Wouldn't you get much more flow nearest the pump and less the further away?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Depending on the pump yes.
That is an ampmaster 3000. At two feet there was no head loss. It pushed 3000 gph in that 120.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I like CL's so much I am doing it again on my new build.
This one is just a single intake. I will be designing the rock scape over the intake. In the rock there will be an acrylic box to keep the critters out.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130712_184357.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130712_184357.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 53

saltfan

Im in the process of doing a closed loop now on a 120.

DSCF3922_zps749d2024.jpg

DSCF3921_zpsa1e7ae55.jpg

DSCF3909_zps509c7d59.jpg

DSCF3958_zpsce6a6ad1.jpg

Basile

No, closed loops are closed. Here are some pictures of the one I did on a 120 I built.

I though that's what i was explaining a closed loop is closed, its independant from the tank system. It has its own pump and never touches or mix with the sump water or equipment. no? Maybe i explained it wrong....In any case i gave up the plumbing headakes , my nightmare is over, my ceramic walls was the last straw. Love your set up. i was dreaming of one like this i guess i'll never have one now.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Dude! So sad. Never say never. I thought I was out of the hobby when the economy went south but here I am again. Back in the thick of things.
I waited and planned this since 08.
During that time I accomplished a lot in life. Sometimes God separates us from stuff so we can regroup.
Hang in there dude!
Time for you to regroup. ..

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
OK, so how do you get to the intake and return screens when they get all gummed up over time without tearing down the house?