Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go for loop

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frankie

RS STAFF
I never had one clog.
My new one will slip right out when needed. It will be inside a rock with the top sliced off so I can service it. Haven't gotten to that part yet.
My last one in that picture of the 120 had a custom screen out of black acrylic that I made. You have to be creative in this hobby or your stuck with what's available.
Being on the back wall it was easily accessed. I never scape to the glass so I can get all the way around the rock scape for cleaning purposes.

Here's a picture of th screen and in operation. .

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forum Runner

Attachments

• 020-9.jpeg
    020-9.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 001-18.jpeg
    001-18.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 26

Basile

I never had one clog.
My new one will slip right out when needed. It will be inside a rock with the top sliced off so I can service it. Haven't gotten to that part yet.
My last one in that picture of the 120 had a custom screen out of black acrylic that I made. You have to be creative in this hobby or your stuck with what's available.
Being on the back wall it was easily accessed. I never scape to the glass so I can get all the way around the rock scape for cleaning purposes.

Here's a picture of th screen and in operation. .

Really beatifull Frankie , i don't have the same drive this time and i don't know why. I gave up my closed loop idea because of those ceramic walls made in Germany and they'll be on the back wall, blocking any chance of making holes and they will save me swiming space for my fish thats the logic behing my madness. Since the backwall is always prone to be filled with coraline algae i rather see it with a proper substrate and a functional one like this;

user4671_pic1830_1302043652.jpg

And i must say after what happened to me the last time; the less holes in my tank the better, maybe thats the reason i jumped at the idea of the back wall and the Tunze so quickly.

Frankie

RS STAFF
There's an application for everyone Basile.
I really dig that background! Can't wait to see your results. Be sure to link me when you have it installed so I can see how it came out.

Basile

There's an application for everyone Basile.
I really dig that background! Can't wait to see your results. Be sure to link me when you have it installed so I can see how it came out.

You bet, i'm really excited about it, because its really practicle, it saves a lot of space and lots of room to put corals and macro algae as well, doing a mixed tank.

Willie McDaries

I run both a CL and an MP60....

people talk about how expensive the Vortech pumps are, my CL system cost more than the MP60 and don't moves as much water and takes a lot more power to operate......

it really depends on what you want to achieve, ultra clean look in the tank with minimal equipment to have to clean, go with a CL, or be a lot more energy efficient, go with low voltage DC pumps...or anything in between, there's really and endless amount of options for water movement...none are 100% perfect for every application

here's my closed loop

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looks great Willie!
Is that a dolphin amp master 3000? Looks like it.
Great surface agitation!
What size tank is that? If it is over 200 gal. I would upgrade the pump for more flow. The 3000 was perfect for my 120 but I would hav used a Marlin 3400 for a 200 gal. and larger for a 250 gal.
Where do you live? I have the Marlin and am willing to let you try it out if your interested. Should hook right up.

Willie McDaries

Looks great Willie!
Is that a dolphin amp master 3000? Looks like it.
Great surface agitation!
What size tank is that? If it is over 200 gal. I would upgrade the pump for more flow. The 3000 was perfect for my 120 but I would hav used a Marlin 3400 for a 200 gal. and larger for a 250 gal.
Where do you live? I have the Marlin and am willing to let you try it out if your interested. Should hook right up.

thanks Frankie, the pump is a ReeFlo Hammerhead, it has plenty enough flow to keep my sand stirred up LOL I've actually got it backed down some, the tank is my 360g plywood I built little over 4 years ago...I live in the southeastern part of Ky. and I appreciate the offer

I was just saying that in some cases, a Vortech ain't always the most expensive option :)

close up of the Hammerhead
HPIM3131.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah man! The Hammer Head should move some sand for sure! LoL!
Sorry Willie, been out for while and forgot about that beast you were building. I will catch up on it.
I'm in Charleston SC. Maybe make a road trip to visit you sometime.

I have an idea I used on the 120 closed loop you may be interested in.
I added a 1/4" quick connect ball valve and refrigerator line to the closed loop output line. (The one going into the tank)
Once.a.week and sometimes more often I would open up this valve and bombard the display tank with micro bubbles.
This cleanses the rock work, corals and such. Just like the ocean does with crashing waves.
It lifts the detritus up and out the overflow. Like turning your tank into a giant protein skimmer.
Here is a picture of what I am talking about.
No, it won't hurt anything. Maybe a prized sponge but no one is long term with those anyhow

Attachments

• 8414d1188858711-frankies-120gal-glass-experiment-000_1440_edited-custom-.jpg
    8414d1188858711-frankies-120gal-glass-experiment-000_1440_edited-custom-.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 23

Willie McDaries

Sorry Willie, been out for while and forgot about that beast you were building. I will catch up on it.

I added a 1/4" quick connect ball valve and refrigerator line to the closed loop output line. (The one going into the tank)
Once.a.week and sometimes more often I would open up this valve and bombard the display tank with micro bubbles.
This cleanses the rock work, corals and such. Just like the ocean does with crashing waves.
It lifts the detritus up and out the overflow. Like turning your tank into a giant protein skimmer.
No, it won't hurt anything. Maybe a prized sponge but no one is long term with those anyhow

dude, that is a great idea, I've been just using a powerhead and blowing off the rock work with it, I may give that a try....

I kinda like the idea of having some micro bubbles occasionally happening anyway for a more realistic effect....

you got me thinking, how could I automate this to happen a few times a day ? :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Don't like that idea. Manual is better controlled. Not to sure about daily either. I guess you would have to experiment.
If I was to automate it I would use some type of auto valve on a timer.
Maybe a dosing pump? I will think on it.
I turned it on for 3-4 minutes waited about n hour and then did my weekly water change cleaning the sump only.
That was my schedule.

Willie McDaries

Don't like that idea. Manual is better controlled. Not to sure about daily either. I guess you would have to experiment.
If I was to automate it I would use some type of auto valve on a timer.
Maybe a dosing pump? I will think on it.
I turned it on for 3-4 minutes waited about n hour and then did my weekly water change cleaning the sump only.
That was my schedule.

you're probable right, may be best to just do it a time or 2 a week, I imagine the salt creep would be horrible if you did it everyday LOL

Willie McDaries

and I think I may have a way to automate it too, an air pump and a timer with the air hose connected to the CL intake, inside the tank....not too sure the suction from the CL pump wouldn't pull in air when the air pump was off though

Basile

I run both a CL and an MP60....

people talk about how expensive the Vortech pumps are, my CL system cost more than the MP60 and don't moves as much water and takes a lot more power to operate......

it really depends on what you want to achieve, ultra clean look in the tank with minimal equipment to have to clean, go with a CL, or be a lot more energy efficient, go with low voltage DC pumps...or anything in between, there's really and endless amount of options for water movement...none are 100% perfect for every application

here's my closed loop

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

I really admire you guys ingenuity ; i'm not that good, i got some cleverness but plumbing is not one of them. Thanks for the tip about the gate valve size. I had to leave the closed loop plan, because ;for one i bought all those nice backwall ceramic panels. They're very porous and will take care of two thing for me. For one thing i wont have to clean the back of coraline agae , the second they'll act as a good substrate for filtration and leave me more swiming room for my fish and i wont have to put as much rock in the tank. But they also block any space for holes for the loop. I didn't want the bottom to be too much drilled either. My bad luck with water remember.....The less holes in my tank the better. Plus when i saw the wave box in action coupled with its power head i was sold really. The movement in the tank was so like the oceant, back and forth went the corals and algae it was like a dance, i tell ya! It got me. So thats my story and i'm sticking to it lol , thanks guys. :whstlr:

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would have no problem drilling that ceramic for a closed loop but only if I had to.
I think the wave boxes are cool actually.
That coupled with some other type of movement and your on the reef!
Good luck Basile. Look forward to seeing it setup and running.

I like your idea Willie,
A flow valve like from a rodi unit should hold the seal preventing air from going in until the pressure from the air pump kicks in.
If you can find a valve stiff enough to hold then just add an air pump just strong enough to pop it open.

Willie McDaries

I was skeptical about having all those holes to Basile, notice all my CL returns go over the top LOL

I wish now that I had drilled for 'em so I could hide the elbows but it is what it is, I'll do it right the next time LOL

Willie McDaries

I really admire you guys ingenuity ; i'm not that good, i got some cleverness but plumbing is not one of them. Thanks for the tip about the gate valve size. I had to leave the closed loop plan, because ;for one i bought all those nice backwall ceramic panels. They're very porous and will take care of two thing for me. For one thing i wont have to clean the back of coraline agae , the second they'll act as a good substrate for filtration and leave me more swiming room for my fish and i wont have to put as much rock in the tank. But they also block any space for holes for the loop. I didn't want the bottom to be too much drilled either. My bad luck with water remember.....The less holes in my tank the better. Plus when i saw the wave box in action coupled with its power head i was sold really. The movement in the tank was so like the oceant, back and forth went the corals and algae it was like a dance, i tell ya! It got me. So thats my story and i'm sticking to it lol , thanks guys. :whstlr:

no water flow system is 100% perfect for every tank or person, you gotta go with what works best for your specific system, there's really no wrong way to do your flow, as long as it meets the needs of the animals in your tank is all that really matters....

with a closed loop, you get great random flow but you don't get that standing wave action like you can from a Vortech or Tunze wave box...

Willie McDaries

I like your idea Willie,
A flow valve like from a rodi unit should hold the seal preventing air from going in until the pressure from the air pump kicks in.
If you can find a valve stiff enough to hold then just add an air pump just strong enough to pop it open.

I don't think it would require much, the suction from the CL intake is not that strong, it's not like the volute on a skimmer pump where the suction is focused, I think it would work without any valves but I will find out for sure and let you know, I just too lazy to get off the couch right now or I would have already found out LOL

Frankie

RS STAFF
Lol! Headed to the same spot right now!
Good stout 1554, star trek and a nap!

Basile

I don't think it would require much, the suction from the CL intake is not that strong, it's not like the volute on a skimmer pump where the suction is focused, I think it would work without any valves but I will find out for sure and let you know, I just too lazy to get off the couch right now or I would have already found out LOL

Lol! Headed to the same spot right now!
Good stout 1554, star trek and a nap!

I beat the two of you to it i'm just returning from a 2 hour nap after putting 2 tons of terracotta tiles in the fish tank room and waking up i found out i had a pair of knees and a back and the back of my knees....let me tell ya the spring chicken is long gone, as of star trek i'm old enough and comfortable enough that it plays when i say it plays, when i insert the DVD's of all the series movies and reruns i've got to watch on my coutch lol but never mind the warp speed right now i can barely manage the snail pace.