Adrienne's Red Sea Max C-250

Pat24601

Oh, to be more specific on the skimmer (and this is hard in text), I probably have the skimmer adjuster (water outlet) about half way up. It's slightly above the "optimal" water line marker in the left tank window.

How I got there was:
(1). I put it all the way down and it didn't skim.
(2) I put it all the way up and my collection cup filled with water.
(3) I put it about half way and the neck of my collection cup filled with gross stuff, but my collection cup was empty.
(4) I raised it very slightly (1/4 inch? ) per day until I started getting gross gunk in my collection cup, but not a bunch of water. If too much water, I lowered a little.
(5) I stopped fiddling when the magic seemed to be working right. I.e., collection cup collecting some amount of gunk, but not filling with water.

I probably spent about a week adjusting it this way. No idea if it is optimal, but at least it's probably doing something useful.

Adrienne

What does the optimal line marker have to do with the skimmer adjuster? Is it not for filling the sump part of the tank to or does this level rise or reduce in accordance with when you move the skimmer adjuster?

I have just taken todays readings -

Temp 25.0 The heater is set at 28 but is obviously not up to the task so I may as well remove it and use one of my Eheim Jagers.
Salinity 1.026
Ammonia is down to 0
Nitrite remains at 0
Nitrate has dropped slightly from yesterday and is now back at 5
pH 8.0

So while the ammonia has gone down nothing has risen - could this be because my rock was sitting in a barrel 'cycling' for the several months I was waiting for the tank. I didn't test often but at one stage ammonia and nitrate was both high.
Perhaps I should add a shrimp or 2 and see what happens.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It's possible the rock in the barrel for several months is handling the ammonia, before you add anything alive, like the cuc, toss in one shrimp, mush him up a bit & test for a week as he rots, imo, is a good plan.

Pat24601

What does the optimal line marker have to do with the skimmer adjuster? Is it not for filling the sump part of the tank to or does this level rise or reduce in accordance with when you move the skimmer adjuster?

My short answer is, "I don't know why the optimal line is optimal." :)

The manual has a little picture in section 10 which says the top of our window on our the left side of our sump (which is different than prior models) is the maximum water line. The bottom of the window is the minimum. The little plastic line in the middle is optimum. The manual doesn't say why other than "for optimal filtration".

I imagine things such as the height of the water gate into the sump, height if the skimmer, and height of our media racks all play a role in what is optimal, but I don't know that.

I keep my water very slightly above the optimal line and don't really question why. :)

I actually didn't mean to imply I set my skimmer adjuster according to where the optimal line on the tank is. I was just using that as a point of reference. I really just set my skimmer adjuster height according to where I was getting the results I wanted (some gunk in my collection cup, but not excess water in my collection cup). I wasn't paying attention to the optimal line at all when I did it.

I definitely didn't mean to imply the skimmer adjustor sets your water level. :)

I would use the process I used (set it half way and make very minor adjustments up and down every day until you get the results you want). I wouldn't use my actual location reference as anything useful to you.

Your personal setting will vary from mine because your water conditions are different. Also, you'll probably need to wait until you have some bio load in your tank to even set it correctly. So, it's a problem off down the road. You can't really do it well right now, I don't think.

Finally, keep this in mind with the c-250 skimmer (from their website):

"The new design of skimmers is not affected by the regular fluctuation in the water level of the rear sump due to evaporation, and has an adjustable outlet gate to maintain the optimal skimmate consistency which will vary according to actual water conditions."

Adrienne

Thanks Pat - As I said I don't understand skimmers at all so I thought perhaps my understanding was totally out and that moving the skimmer adjuster moved the water level in the sump. I will keep tinkering until no bubbles come out. Its much better today than yesterday which is a good thing.

Mark, I don't want my temp at 28 but I can't get it up to 26. Even setting my heater at 28 has only caused the tank temp to get to 25. The only fans running are the ones in the hood. The fans which are attached at the back are still turned off.

I shall add a shrimp or two and see what happens :)

Roy Page

Maybe Roy can chime in and offer some skimmer tips.
He has the C model.

I too suggest the Tunze 3155, I have one, works flawlessly.
And, do you have a powerhead?
I have the Ecotech MP40, works great.

Well here is my take on the C-250 skimmer based on the last 86 days of starting up our tank with no previous experience of reef keeping or protein skimmers.
[My only claim to fame is that [in another life] I was a regular contributing author to Practical Fishkeeping in England]
[In that guise, we kept Japanese Koi Carp and designed and built many large scale water filtration systems to maintain pond water crystal clear and chemically clean whilst housing up to 50 Koi in our outdoor 12,000 gallon ornamental pool].

Preamble
For good Skimmer operation, first and foremost, I believe that you have to have a constant water height in the rear chamber.
The T5 lights generate a lot of heat which requires the water cooling fans to be operational 24/7.
The water cooling fans do their job but the net result is very high daily water evaporation, for us that is about 1 Gallon per day.

The height of the skimmer gate, and the performance of the skimmer, is directly linked to the height of the water in the rear chamber.
Therefore to maintain an effective constant skimmer gate height, the level of the water must also remain constant.
Therefore an ATO is, I believe, mandatory if you are going to achieve consistent skimmer operation.

As I said before I still have the air throttle valve in use.
Our water height on the Right side of the tank is maintained to be only about 1/8" below the very top of the sight window. That is about 7/8" above the water level line.

I could not get the skimmer to skim much protein until I was at Day 21, after that it slowly started to produce the most evil smelling gunge I have ever had the misfortune to dispose of.

Setting The Amount Of Skimming
So how do I set the amount of skimming ?
The gate is set at the very bottom [because I keep the water level is very high]
I then set the air throttle valve closed and slowly open it until the foam shows about 1/2" up into the cup entry tube.

With my water level, if I remove the air throttle valve the cup is filled with water in a very few minutes, no good at all.
With the air valve set and in place, if I raise the height of the skimmer gate, the skimmer quickly over skims and the cup fills with water.

I have no intention of changing the way our skimmer is set, after a week of unattended operation, the cup maybe has a 1/4 to 1/2" of gunge and water in it.
The cup lid, inside and outside of the foam tubes is coated thickly. I remove the cup and scrub it when doing my weekly 10% water change.

Red Sea
Red Sea, state that the air valve should only be used temporarily and removed after the skimmer is broken in.
I expect their instructions are based on the following and they do know what they are doing !

If you maintained the rear sump water level at the line indicated, then the water level would be about 7/8" lower than ours.
In that case, with the air valve removed, and the gate in the lowest position, the skimmer may well operate well and not immediately fill the cup with water.
If that is the case, you would then raise the gate very slowly in small increments so the the foam height was about 1/2" inside the Cup Tube.
It will take around 30 minutes for the foam height to stabilize in height.
So you would need to adjust and then check, adjust again etc so that the foam height is not starting to overflow into the cup.

I do firmly believe that an ATO, such as the Tunze 3155, ensures that you have good and consistent skimmer operation because the water level in the rear chamber will remain at a constant level.

Down the road, when the tank is more mature, I will probably try running the water level down at the water level line.
For the moment though, our skimmer is skimming very well and the whole rear sump system is stable and running great.

Just my 2 cents [or pennies]

Roy

Pat24601

Roy, awesome input!

EDIT: btw, as usual, I want to be crystal clear I don't know what I'm doing. I had some experiences that may be worth sharing because I've recently noobed my way through the C-250 and know what my experiences were and I know how I understood things from a new to the entire skimmer concept perspective.

But, there is no way I can provide a thoughtful analysis like Roy just did. I think he should write our C-250 skimmer sticky. :)

neildradford

PREMIUM
Roy great post, which actually echoes what I'm just starting to realise with my skimmer too. I previously had it at 'optimal water height' with gate fully down and no valve, it seems to work much better how you described and I'm going to monitor it for a while and adjust if needed.

Thanks a lot, great thread btw

Adrienne

Day 6. No visible changes at all in my tank that I can definitely comment on.

Temp 2.5.
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0.1 -0.3 I added 1.5 mushed small prawns to the tank last night.
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
pH

Today I removed the Red Sea heater that came with the tank and replaced it with a Jager to see if I can get the temp to 26

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas based on the last two days readings?

Roy Page

Day 6. No visible changes at all in my tank that I can definitely comment on.

Temp 2.5.
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0.1 -0.3 I added 1.5 mushed small prawns to the tank last night.
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
pH

Today I removed the Red Sea heater that came with the tank and replaced it with a Jager to see if I can get the temp to 26

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas based on the last two days readings?

Adrienne,

The RS heater is more than capable of getting your tank to 26 C [78.8F] so you must have had a faulty unit.

Your test results are already showing that the nitrifying bacteria are at work in your tank converting the Ammonia to Nitrite and converting the Nitrite to Nitrate so I would think that your cycle is going well.
The additional source of Ammonia will make sure the tank cycle continues, your Ammonia level should now increase, but give the Shrimp time to decompose.

Photos please !! They make it much easier for the reef experts here [NOT ME] to see your tanks progression and comment more accurately.

Roy

Roy Page

Looks like you are getting alot of sand movement.

From the one photo of the output nozzle it looks like you have them angled right down and pointing parallel with the side of the tank.
I found the best water flow in the tank to have one nozzle pointing down but towards the centre of the tank.
The other nozzle set to disturb the water surface pointing again the center of the tank.

I presume you are using the black sponge filter in the left sump ?
Roy

neildradford

PREMIUM
From the one photo of the output nozzle it looks like you have them angled right down and pointing parallel with the side of the tank.
I found the best water flow in the tank to have one nozzle pointing down but towards the centre of the tank.
The other nozzle set to disturb the water surface pointing again the center of the tank.

I presume you are using the black sponge filter in the left sump ?
Roy

I'm the same as Adrienne, I have loads of sand movement. I just can't seem to get them right.

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm the same as Adrienne, I have loads of sand movement. I just can't seem to get them right.

"Can't seem to get them right" is what I struggled with until I did the loc-line mod.
Loc-line is not easily available in the UK though.
Some people swear by the slip-stream.